MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
msavard
Full Fledged Farker

Default HELP! Baby Back Ribs at 8400ft Altitude - in ECUADOR?!

What's up guys!

In a month myself and a buddy will be challenged with smoking Baby Back ribs on an offset smoker (OK Joe Highland) at over 8400ft altitude in Cuenca Ecuador as part of an exhibition event.

Everything I read states that with the decreased boiling point of water, cooks take significantly longer, and moisture loss is a much larger challenge. Some suggest cooking at higher temps... others lower.

We plan to try to utilize water pans, mist the ribs periodically, foil the slabs, etc. However what I'm reading is it can still be a challenge to smoke at that altitude.

So, we come, hat in hand, humbly seeking advice and tips from those of you who might have experience smoking at high altitude...bonus points if the advice is specific to smoking pork ribs.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavard View Post
What's up guys!

In a month myself and a buddy will be challenged with smoking Baby Back ribs on an offset smoker (OK Joe Highland) at over 8400ft altitude in Cuenca Ecuador as part of an exhibition event.

Everything I read states that with the decreased boiling point of water, cooks take significantly longer, and moisture loss is a much larger challenge. Some suggest cooking at higher temps... others lower.

We plan to try to utilize water pans, mist the ribs periodically, foil the slabs, etc. However what I'm reading is it can still be a challenge to smoke at that altitude.

So, we come, hat in hand, humbly seeking advice and tips from those of you who might have experience smoking at high altitude...bonus points if the advice is specific to smoking pork ribs.
Here’s a few good tips for you about bbqing and Slow Smoking at high altitudes...

https://bbq-book.com/bbq-at-altitude/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th...titude.170646/

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/topics/tec...tude-grilling/

I hope the info helps and good luck with Your high altitude bbq adventure.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I live at 1500' and have run my offset at 7500' also. I was expecting to need to make adjustments but I didn't really notice much difference, maybe a tad bit longer but it ran a little lower heat

Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
McSpazatron
is one Smokin' Farker

I just read the first link which recommended cooking them at a lower temp, something in the 210s. I’m not sure how helpful lowering temps would be, because I tend to cook mine hotter. It’s possible to get good ribs with hot or cooler temps.

I would guess, like the article mentioned, that the dryness of the air will be the biggest factor. I think if you just have to monitor your bark development, and then wrap once you get to where you like it. Once it’s wrapped, its safe. Just make sure to take out the ribs when they feel cooked to the proper tenderness.

If I had to make another guess...I don’t think you gave to worry about “drying” out the meat. Ribs are thin, water evaporates out of them quickly, probably all of it by the time it’s done cooking. What makes ribs juicy is the melted collage inside when they are cooked properly. What Im saying is that ribs will be dried out only if you overcook them and all the collagen melts out.

Oh wait!!! Darn, you said baby back ribs....ugh... sorry, poor reading comprehension. That’s a different ball game. Much less collagen in those so those might be easier to overcook. Any chance you can cook spare ribs instead?

Do you have a chance to practice before the big event?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #5
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

I live in the 4000s and routinely smoke spares and a few baby backs...

I do like a bit more moisture (I get by a Texas crutch/wrap with apple juice/rub/butter), but changing temps hasn't been a factor on this end.

I don't think you need to make any big changes, but "you do you."

Keep the updates coming, brother. Absolutely LOVE the competition team name. Had a good chuckle. Well done!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

On his blog thirdeye has some information that has to do with elevation
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
On his blog thirdeye has some information that has to do with elevation
He already sent me a PM about this, and to summarize my reply I noted the boiling temp of water at 8400' is 196°, so getting meats to 200° might not be possible. I also think keeping meats moist and wrapping sooner than usual might be something to consider. And I would agree that belly ribs would be easier to cook than back ribs.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I've always cooked at 6800' and everything seems pretty normal to me, not that I would know the difference as I've never cooked at any other altitude, but the times seem in line with what you guys report.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

My advise would be Good Luck!
And take layers. Wool is good.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Boatman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

Routinely cook ribs in an offset smoker at 9000 feet in the Colorado mountains. No problems. Just open your air flow a little more and keep your eye on things. You'll figure it out easy enough.
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

I cook at 7200 ft. and I don't see much differences in time or temperature.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
msavard
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry guys I had been traveling and hadn’t Checked back. Very good feedback here thus far. Love the folks who cook at these altitudes saying they don’t see much change/issue. Thank you for that!

Yes we will have a chance to practice. A local restaurant down there (cuchi suco bbq) will have us cooking for a big dinner the night before, we will be doing ribs, brisket, pork belly burnt ends, and a smoked bologna slider.

I think we are going to try to get a batch of practice ribs in earlier in the week as well to be safe!

Third eye had some good input on moisture and is checking with some comp buddies on times. We will be wrapping early, misting and topping off water pan periodically (quickly).

We will be on Oklahoma joe highland offsets I believe (still waiting on confirmation)

Thank you and keep me coming! I’m happy to keep updates coming as well. One month out!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
msavard
Full Fledged Farker

Went with these for on stage presentation shirts:

Thanks from: --->