Weird Question???

dsouthmayd

Reaction score
I have a weird question for this group. Where in the rules does it state that teams can only turn in one box for a specific meat? What would happen if a contest allowed two entries per team and the highest score would be used in the results?

Would that encourage a little more variety and taking of chances?

Of course, this would mean twice the number of judges…

Dale

I don't think this would encourage much more variety or taking chances. If this were the format at 2 boxes per category, My strategy would still to be to turn them all in with middle of the road, non offending flavors and the best tenderness and moisture I can achieve with the hope that one of them would hit. To me, stepping outside the box would be minimizing that box's chances of hitting.

I don't think this would encourage much more variety or taking chances. If this were the format at 2 boxes per category, My strategy would still to be to turn them all in with middle of the road, non offending flavors and the best tenderness and moisture I can achieve with the hope that one of them would hit. To me, stepping outside the box would be minimizing that box's chances of hitting.

Yep. Only time I can think that I would do something outside of the box is if it was a practice, "Spring Training" type comp and I was trying something I wanted to see how it would do with judges. A real comp? I'm turning in the same thing twice.

I was thinking more about this...would this approach help with minimizing TOD effects? Hitting TOD for both entries would seem to be pretty unlikely - if the entry distribution is truly random...

As a competitor, would this approach appeal? Maybe make it more likely to attend an event?

I was thinking more about this...would this approach help with minimizing TOD effects? Hitting TOD for both entries would seem to be pretty unlikely - if the entry distribution is truly random...

As a competitor, would this approach appeal? Maybe make it more likely to attend an event?
It would not appeal to me as it would increase my costs yet not likely have an increased payout.

It is an interesting idea and I am happy to let promoters have this as an option to differentiate their event. I am generally open to letting promoters try lots of new things as long as it stays within some basic parameters.. If KCBS, I am assuming this is for KCBS events, can insure the integrity of the judging process (I know it is not perfect) and that the traditional 4 meats are used then I am fine with trying new things.

It would interesting to do something like this at the beginning of the season to try things like adding breast meat to a chicken entry or doing one brisket entry with and one without burnt ends. I think I would enjoy it for an event or two but then I would want to go back to one entry.

I like the "outside of the box" idea. What if you could make a donation that goes directly to a charity and the would allow you to turn in 1 extra box for 1 category? Any add in entries is going to create the need for more judges. Who knows? Maybe someone will try this and see how it goes.

I like the "outside of the box" idea. What if you could make a donation that goes directly to a charity and the would allow you to turn in 1 extra box for 1 category? Any add in entries is going to create the need for more judges. Who knows? Maybe someone will try this and see how it goes.

Maybe for a competitor's series. I would never participate in a master's series that did this.

More interesting to me would be turning the exact same two boxes and seeing how wildly different the scores came back. (Yes, I am bitter :icon_smile_tongue:)

Well, not sure about other rules, but I was actually just looking at the CTBA rules for a shindig down in Cameron Tx, and by chance I saw this restriction, which makes sense to me - "CTBA recognizes that there may be times that more than one cook will cook on a given pit. It will be the head judge's responsibility to monitor and handle this in a professional manner. Head cooks MUST notify the head judge on multiple entries. Multiple entries in the same category WILL NOT be allowed". - But yes , in theory you could turn in 2 exact boxes and have one at 180 and the other in the tank - would be funny to pull those judges aside and ask "what were you thinking?" - It would be a good experiment at a Judges class wouldn't it

Even 2 boxes from the same piece of meat would be different. slices from different areas of the brisket, pulled from the tubes vs horn vs bacon, etc. There could easily be valid reasons for a score difference.

It would make people realize how good the upper tier teams really are real quick.

This might be a good way to include the local public in some of these competitions by doing an optional 2nd box for any or all categories that would be judged by public judges (peoples choice on steroids). They can charge them a fee to be a judge and give the winning team some cash and put the rest towards offsetting the cost the entire competition.

I know there would be extra logistics involved and not all comps can handle a second judging area but I bet the majority could figure it out.

Back