MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Bought a choice 9 lb flat from Costco for 6.69/lb. That's all they ever carry - choice flats. Bought because the flat was reasonably think and uniform and 'flappy' with some marbling. Turned out okay but perhaps a little overdone.

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #17
Super 8
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Lonesome View Post
Bought a choice 9 lb flat from Costco for 6.69/lb. That's all they ever carry - choice flats. Bought because the flat was reasonably think and uniform and 'flappy' with some marbling. Turned out okay but perhaps a little overdone.
Odd, I just purchased a 18 lb. and a 15 lb. prime brisket from our local Costco around $3.50 a lb. Made them a few weeks ago on my Traeger for a family function.
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #18
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
I live in Lake Worth, tell me more about this donut shop you found.
I tried 3 shops:
Dukes Donuts, 500 S Cherry Ln, White Settlement - Great selection of good donuts.

Donut Palace, Belkamp, Haltom City - good selection good donuts.

The winner for me was Busy B's Donuts and Bakery, Denton Highway, Haltom City - A very small shop with a small selection of wonderful donuts. What I liked best were the filled donuts; they do not fill them until you order them, so they will not become heavy and soggy in the case. They simply melt in your mouth - even when cold. I think we found this place by accident when looking for a larger shop a little further down the road. An example of a small out of the way place that excels in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
My 2nd guess was you were visiting someone in the Federal Womens Prison that Used to Be Carswell AFB Hospital...
LOL.....

Quote:
which BBQs did you try?
Great reviews on Jonboy's, but sadly it was permanently closed.

I also wanted to go to North Main BBQ in Euless, TX (a friend of a friend of mine), but they were sold out on the weekend, and closed during the week. maybe next time...

We tried Woody Creek and Spring Creek:

Woody Creek had better flavored meats but the sides didn't leave too much to be desired.

Spring Creek had mediocre meats, but the sides were better.

My last stop was Elmo's BBQ in Azle, no ribs, no Mac&Cheese were disappointing. The brisket was cooked to perfection (nice pull apart and texture), but a little dry like it had been reheated, Sausage, Coleslaw, and Pinto Beans were great.... Mustard based Potato Salad was mushy like mashed potatoes, that side was not enjoyable at all.

Quote:
Next Time you come Down - Holler at Me...........if you Come Down in Winter Time we'll go Catfishing........on Lake Worth
That sounds awesome

Quote:
.........Oh Ya, Did you take a cooler full of Briskets Home.?
Only two due to the many other items I had to pack for the flight home.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
aks801
is one Smokin' Farker

Even here in Texas you sometimes have to do some searching.

Last night I got lucky (not what you may be thinking). I stopped by Kroger on the way home and the only full packer they had in the case was a Choice marked down to $1.99/pound. Now, it was a 17 pounder which is bigger than I really needed, but I snatched it up anyway. Tomorrow morning it goes in the smoke early.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I tried 3 shops:
Dukes Donuts, 500 S Cherry Ln, White Settlement - Great selection of good donuts.

Donut Palace, Belkamp, Haltom City - good selection good donuts.

The winner for me was Busy B's Donuts and Bakery, Denton Highway, Haltom City - A very small shop with a small selection of wonderful donuts. What I liked best were the filled donuts; they do not fill them until you order them, so they will not become heavy and soggy in the case. They simply melt in your mouth - even when cold. I think we found this place by accident when looking for a larger shop a little further down the road. An example of a small out of the way place that excels in quality.

LOL.....

Great reviews on Jonboy's, but sadly it was permanently closed.

I also wanted to go to North Main BBQ in Euless, TX (a friend of a friend of mine), but they were sold out on the weekend, and closed during the week. maybe next time...

We tried Woody Creek and Spring Creek:

Woody Creek had better flavored meats but the sides didn't leave too much to be desired.

Spring Creek had mediocre meats, but the sides were better.

My last stop was Elmo's BBQ in Azle, no ribs, no Mac&Cheese were disappointing. The brisket was cooked to perfection (nice pull apart and texture), but a little dry like it had been reheated, Sausage, Coleslaw, and Pinto Beans were great.... Mustard based Potato Salad was mushy like mashed potatoes, that side was not enjoyable at all.

That sounds awesome

Only two due to the many other items I had to pack for the flight home.

Had I known I would’ve sent you to Jambo’s BBQ in Rendon or the New Hard 8 barbecue in Burleson -the originals in Stephenville Texas - the Stevensville location is Pretty Good. I haven’t made the Burleson location yet .....or even Cousins BBQ is Decent.......

Old 08-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I have to say that after spending a week in Fort Worth and Lake Worth area, I am extremely jealous of brisket prices in Texas. Didn't matter which store: Kroger, Albertsons, or HEB, full packer briskets for $2.70 to $2.80 a pound with great marbling. Every store we shopped at from Grapevine to Burleson, great briskets at a great price.

Lots of great foods, and great places to visit along the way, Texas is awesome.
I'm jealous, MadMan.

Yeah, us Jersey Q boys get taken for a ride on brisket.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Haven't seen a full packer at my local Costcos for a couple of months now. They've always had them since I got my PBC three years ago.