MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Brisket Prices in Texas

I have to say that after spending a week in Fort Worth and Lake Worth area, I am extremely jealous of brisket prices in Texas. Didn't matter which store: Kroger, Albertsons, or HEB, full packer briskets for $2.70 to $2.80 a pound with great marbling. Every store we shopped at from Grapevine to Burleson, great briskets at a great price.

Lots of great foods, and great places to visit along the way, Texas is awesome.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
TXMasterbuilt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : TXCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
ILots of great foods, and great places to visit along the way, Texas is awesome.
Duh!

TXMasterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

I have to admit, it makes smoking meat convenient. I am firing up the smoker next weekend when my parents come into town and my mom asks "would you like me to bring some meat when we come?" my response: "I couldnt imagine you trying to find brisket in louisiana, nor could i imagine how much it would cost"..

Everything is bigger here, except for gas and beef prices :)

rb

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
redchaserron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post
I have to admit, it makes smoking meat convenient. I am firing up the smoker next weekend when my parents come into town and my mom asks "would you like me to bring some meat when we come?" my response: "I couldnt imagine you trying to find brisket in louisiana, nor could i imagine how much it would cost"..

rb
I got a really nice choice brisket here in Louisiana for $2.49 a pound last weekend.
redchaserron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Been finding them on sale at less than $1.99/lb and when I do buy 2 or 3. Have a couple in the freezer that were $1.67/lb before July 4th. Will make some freezer space for labor Day sales.

Lot easier to find brisket on sale than chuck roasts.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post

rb
I usually have 2-3 go to places with a pretty nice brisket selection here in LA. One meat market even started selling SRF in store. Now had you used an example such as king cake or good boudin in Texas that would have made sense!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

Prices go up and down even here in Texas. There has been very little rain in Texas for nearly 2 months. Consequently there isn't much hay available and prices become high. So ranchers start thinning their herds and meat prices fall. It takes a VERY prolonged drought to force ranchers to give away stock they can't afford to feed. We're hopefully not on the cusp of that.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
SmittyJonz

What were you doing down here ? Lake Worth area is about 30 minutes from my house........

Are you in the reserves and went to the old Carswell Air Force Base -now joint reserve base.?

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
BBQBetty
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Kristine

Quote:
I have to say that after spending a week in Fort Worth and Lake Worth area, I am extremely jealous of brisket prices in Texas. Didn't matter which store: Kroger, Albertsons, or HEB, full packer briskets for $2.70 to $2.80 a pound with great marbling. Every store we shopped at from Grapevine to Burleson, great briskets at a great price.

Lots of great foods, and great places to visit along the way, Texas is awesome.
Wow really? Now I'm curious, how much do briskets go for in your neck of the woods? (Same goes for everyone else who's not in Texas lol)
BBQBetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQBetty View Post
Wow really? Now I'm curious, how much do briskets go for in your neck of the woods? (Same goes for everyone else who's not in Texas lol)

$6.50 @ pound and up for a good choice whole packer. One in a while, but not often, I can find one that the high end choice, but they are not so popular here so the supply is low and the price is high.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
What were you doing down here ? Lake Worth area is about 30 minutes from my house........

Are you in the reserves and went to the old Carswell Air Force Base -now joint reserve base.?

Smitty,

No, I'm not in the reserves at 68 (LOL).

I went to take my Daughter and Granddaughter back home before school started. Spent a week around the area trying BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Steak Houses. They live at the edge of White Settlement / South Lake Worth area.

I had a great time just doing simple things with them, while exploring the local surrounding areas. I'm not big on tourist traps, but i love history and finding the hidden gems in the city and the suburbs.

I found a doughnut shop that still hand cuts the doughnuts and cooks them manually. They just melted in my mouth. Nothing Bundt Cakes, ect... I was even surprised to see the "Dollar" stores even sell wine. Lots of small mom and pop quality eateries as well as the big ones like Rosa's and the Stockyards.

I was actually shopping at the HEB in Burleson.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 08-15-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 AM   #12
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Smitty,

No, I'm not in the reserves at 68 (LOL).

I went to take my Daughter and Granddaughter back home before school started. Spent a week around the area trying BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Steak Houses. They live at the edge of White Settlement / South Lake Worth area.

I had a great time just doing simple things with them, while exploring the local surrounding areas. I'm not big on tourist traps, but i love history and finding the hidden gems in the city and the suburbs.

I found a doughnut shop that still hand cuts the doughnuts and cooks them manually. They just melted in my mouth. Nothing Bundt Cakes, ect... I was even surprised to see the "Dollar" stores even sell wine. Lots of small mom and pop quality eateries as well as the big ones like Rosa's and the Stockyards.

I was actually shopping at the HEB in Burleson.
My 2nd guess was you were visiting someone in the Federal Womens Prison that Used to Be Carswell AFB Hospital...

which BBQs did you try? Next Time you come Down - Holler at Me...........if you Come Down in Winter Time we'll go Catfishing........on Lake Worth.........Oh Ya, Did you take a cooler full of Briskets Home.?

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 08-16-2019 at 01:56 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #13
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
$6.50 @ pound and up for a good choice whole packer. One in a while, but not often, I can find one that the high end choice, but they are not so popular here so the supply is low and the price is high.
Hi Costco Business Center in Hackensack NJ prime packers $3.69, choice $3.19.
Also have Restaurant Depot SAB packers $3.74
DanB

Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #14
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Kroger has whole, untrimmed choice for $2.99/lb this week, but they don't carry them all the time.
Costco has choice, ~$4, prime ~$5 lb and they USUALLY have them.

I'll check out the Kroger ones tonight, for burgers if nothing else.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #15
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

I live in Lake Worth, tell me more about this donut shop you found.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote