? Bratwurst Toppings & Condiment Suggestions ?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
In a few weeks we'll be cooking 250 brats as part of a business's customer appreciation day. Food will be served from 11am to 2pm, and we will use a post cook beer bath to hold the sausages. Sides (for now) will be assorted chips, potato salad, coleslaw, and pickles. So far... the condiment list is:

Yellow mustard
Brown mustard - grainy
Creole mustard - a hair spicy
Bratwurst red sauce - homemade
Ketchup
Onions, could have some cooked and some raw.
Grilled red, yellow, orange peppers to use for a Chicago style dog.
Shredded cheese
Sauerkraut, heated
Pickles for on the side

Are we missing anything??

Sounds like a great list to me. I supposed you have to have ketchup to keep any heathens happy.

I'm a big fan of onions, kraut, and mustard. Sounds like you'll have a great spread!

That's a great list. I agree on adding relish, sweet for me.

I love ketchup, mustard, and sweet relish on dogs and brats.

Sounds like a great list to me. I supposed you have to have ketchup to keep any heathens happy.

I'm a big fan of onions, kraut, and mustard. Sounds like you'll have a great spread!

We just want to cover all the bases, and some folks will eat ketchup. I'm thinking a jazzed up ketchup based sauce like this "red" sauce:

Ingredients
1 cup chili sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup beer
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Instructions
Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened back into ketchup like consistency. Let cool slightly.
Yields 2 cups.
Serve on top of grilled bratwurst.

We just want to cover all the bases, and some folks will eat ketchup. I'm thinking a jazzed up ketchup based sauce like this "red" sauce:

Ingredients
1 cup chili sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup beer
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Instructions
Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened back into ketchup like consistency. Let cool slightly.
Yields 2 cups.
Serve on top of grilled bratwurst.

That sauce sounds delicious! A curry mustard sauce could be good as well if trying to add in some additional variety. A place in Hermann, Missouri called the Wurst House makes this creamy mustard that is really great too. Tons of great options if you want to get crazy but your spread sounds more than amazing already with what you've got planned.

https://www.hermannwursthaus.com/wurst-haus-mustard-4-pack/

pickled red onions are really good with brats. Chimichurri is very good with any grilled sausage as well.

pickled red onions are really good with brats. Chimichurri is very good with any grilled sausage as well.

I think some pickled red onions would be good. And usually not everyone will eat a brat on a bun. We'll have some paper boats on hand and some slices of brats with toothpicks so folks can eat them that way too.

Horse radish, for those who like to spice it up. Atomic brand if you can find it.

I usually eat brats with grilled onions and mustard or sometimes a mixture of grilled onions and peppers. If you want to do something a little different, serve some with pico de gallo, avocado slice, and a sprinkle of cojita. I had some packs of hatch chilie brats that were excellent with these toppings. If you really want to go exotic, try kimchi, gochujang, and scallions.

Thinking of regional variations for hot dogs which could also apply to brats brings to mind toppings like chili, baked beans, jalapenos. Further out in left field would be pesto or a roasted red pepper pesto.

Haven't tried any of these myself on a brat, just thinking outside the usual toppings.

Mustard, onions & kraut are the only things I've ever seen on a brat.

Yep.

In Chicago, it's a frowned upon digression on dogs (over the age of 9) but in certain parts of Wisconsin you'll get lynched for putting ketchup on a Brat.

Thinking of regional variations for hot dogs which could also apply to brats brings to mind toppings like chili, baked beans, jalapenos. Further out in left field would be pesto or a roasted red pepper pesto.

Haven't tried any of these myself on a brat, just thinking outside the usual toppings.

The budget is $400, and we still have $125 left. We thought about a couple of foil pans of beans, along the lines of the KeriC Hog Apple Bean recipe, they are always a big hit. The shop has a custom made cabinet style smoker at our disposal which has 6 cooking racks. This cooker is +/- 15° in the top 4 racks, and about 30° hotter for the bottom 2. It's a dream to cook on.

rNerpg0.jpg

wry9Gkf.jpg

Yep.

In Chicago, it's a frowned upon digression on dogs (over the age of 9) but in certain parts of Wisconsin you'll get lynched for putting ketchup on a Brat.

You got that right. Here is what's funny..... this company's home is Milwaukee and was founded in 1884. They know beer, brats and the Packers. 4 or 5 years ago we did a similar brat-fest cook and one of the heavy hitters from the home office was on hand. He politely said it was the best brat he ever had. I called bull**** and after a good laugh he agreed they were as-good as what he could get back home. Which was a great compliment.

Back