MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default Welcoming the Newest Lone Star Product to My Home

I did it, y'all. I finally made a purchase decision. And the timing of LSG's newest model release couldn't have been better. They hooked me on their new 20x42 offset smoker with CrossFlow technology just announced Wednesday (explained briefly in their Facebook fan page release, more details to come in an upcoming walkaround video).

Earlier this week I had them quote me on their 24x36 with a few bells and whistles. I really wanted to order it, but the package I was after was nearly $3,700 and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Their release of their completely redesigned 20 inch units on Wednesday got me really curious, and after some Q&A with Chris Goodlander, and a new quote, I decided to pull the trigger this morning. Here is the breakdown of what I was looking at earlier this week (the quote for the 24x36 that I was initially considering). Below it is the breakdown for the 20x42 that I actually ordered.

24x36 LSG OFFSET

24"x36" single door with 1/4" square grill top fire box 2,395.00
8'' Wheel upgrade, 2 fixed casters and 2 swivel casters 125.00
Extra Temperature gauge 38.50
1&1/4'' brass ball valve drain 29.75
Slide out internal ash pan for easy clean out of fire box
made from 1/4'' steel with 2 handles 95.00
Charcoal Basket with S baffles 125.00
Main chamber charcoal grilling grate 75.00
Charge for making table folding 50.00
Temperature probe hole 25.00
Automatic temperature control device fan port 25.00
pull handle 25.00

Crating/Insurance charge/REGULAR SIZE CRATE 150.00

LIFTGATE SERVICE CHARGE FOR DELIVERY (IF
TERMINAL PICK-UP IS REQUESTED, THIS FEE
WILL BE REMOVED) 75.00

Shipping and Handling-picked up at the freight terminal
or shipped to a business with a fork lift or loading dock
(42" OR 48") 358.89

Residential delivery fee 75.00

Grand Total: $3,667.14

Compare that to this:

20x42 LSG OFFSET

20x42 Offset Smoker 1,695.00
8'' Wheel upgrade, 2 fixed casters and 2 swivel casters 125.00
1&1/4'' brass ball valve drain 29.75
Temperature probe hole 25.00
Automatic temperature control device fan port 25.00
pull handle 25.00

CRATING/INSURANCE FOR SMALL CRATE 95.00

Shipping and Handling-picked up at the freight terminal or shipped
to a business with a fork lift or loading dock 153.00

Residential delivery fee 75.00T
LIFTGATE SERVICE CHARGE FOR DELIVERY 75.00

GRAND TOTAL: $2,322.75

So after seeing the $1,300+ difference, and weighing what I was losing, I decided to go ahead and give the 20x42 a whirl. Besides, everyone wants to know the details on these things, and I'd love to take one for a spin! :)

CONS (things I lost by switching from the 24x36):
-300 sq in cooking space (1910 to 1610)
-1/16" cook chamber thickness (3/16 instead of 1/4)
-Slightly smaller fire chamber griddle and grill grate
-4" cook chamber diameter
-LSG will not put a 2nd Tel-Tru on these new models due to the pre-programmed nature of their machining process.
-I deleted several accessories from the package to save some moolah

PROS
-gained 6" in cook chamber length
-lost over 300 lbs in weight (this is important for my living situation - I live in a townhome association which requires me to keep my grills/smokers in garage meaning I have to wheel in and out every time, and cook 15 feet away from house, which is primarily grass - LSGs aren't great on grass but the larger casters and reduced weight will help)
-cut my shipping costs in half - $150 from Texas to Minnesota is a great ship price for an offset
-Saved myself enough money to add some great accessories later, or pick up a 26" Weber I've been wanting :) Or keep saving and get a used Humphreys or LSG vertical unit in the next year to complete my dream setup.
-2 week lead time instead of 14 - I get to use my LSG smoker all Summer!!! This is awesome. I was looking at September for the other unit.

So, what do y'all think????

Here are my questions for you:

1) Should I consider paying $125 to have LSG throwing in the charcoal basket with S-baffles? I've never actually seen someone cook with charcoal instead of splits on an offset. Is it legit? Can I make my own basket and baffles far cheaper?

2) What do you most want to see in my first couple review videos of this thing? I'm thinking purchasing this unit might be reason enough to start a small YouTube operation for LSG fans (though I will certainly not be doing fancy editing - just straightforward reviews and cooks).

That's about all I can think of. I'm stoked and can't believe I'll have a top-notch LSG offset in hand before July 4 . . . . and for less than $2500 shipped to my front door!!! I have a feeling these units are going to start selling like hotcakes once a few guys get them and start reviewing them. And I bet the price won't stay at $1695 for very long if that happens :)

Old 05-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

I should add - (should I really add? I mean, that was a ridiculously long post up there!!!) -

Chris and Amber Goodlander at LSG were very good to work with. You can tell they are very busy due to the awesome quality and fair pricing of their smokers, and I'm sure under lots of pressure and stress. But they patiently answer questions (even a couple that, in hindsight, were probably dumb ones) and turn quotes around very quickly when you make a change. If I lived in Willis, TX, these are the kind of people I'd want to work for.

Huge thanks to the Goodlanders and LSG for a great experience so far. LSG employees - I hope y'all are very proud of your company. You do incredible work and you have the respect of many of us out here on the BBQ trail. Thank you!

Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I’d skip the basket but if you want to experiment with charcoal get it. Most people are curious about the crossflow - show that- baffles, deflectors what have you......

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'm excited for you! Can't wait to see it in action.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

And now.......................................the wait.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
KevinJ

Congrats love LSG cookers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I’d skip the basket but if you want to experiment with charcoal get it. Most people are curious about the crossflow - show that- baffles, deflectors what have you......
Yes what is this crossflow technology you speak of?
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I can feel, and I share, your excitement. I can't wait to see it and see some good cooks come off of it. Nice decision.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : %#$*

I have the basket... I use it to load with charcoal when letting the temp rip for fast chicken cooks. The minion bar/baffles didn’t work in my 2 experiments (fire jumped). I use basket when cooking vertical in warmer box or hot hot in main chamber for chicken... both of which I do relatively frequently... otherwise use just wood for standard cooking...

Last edited by The Wookiee; 05-18-2018 at 05:42 PM..
The Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Congratulations! You are correct about Chris and Amber. They are wonderful business people as well as super parents. Their shop is huge and very busy but the quality of their products is top notch. You will love your new smoker.

They are only a 40 minute drive from my house. I am always tempted to go there to "shoot the bull" but I know they are busy as bees. Every time I have been there, however, they stop and treat me as family.

In fact, I just might have to go there to get some some touch up paint for my LSG vertical offset.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Congrats. Can’t wait to see it! Nothing like a new cooker
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I'm excited for you! Can't wait to see it in action.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks, man! Pretty stoked. First brand new "legit" smoker I've ever ordered.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #12
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Congrats love LSG cookers.

Yes what is this crossflow technology you speak of?
As far as I know, there's no info out there on it yet other than LSG's cryptic facebook release on Wednesday. Can't wait for LSG to make the walkaround video. If they don't, I will! ;)

Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
I can feel, and I share, your excitement. I can't wait to see it and see some good cooks come off of it. Nice decision.
Thank you! It was a good Friday :) 11-year anniversary tomorrow, and I actually found my wife (a Philly native) a legitimate Philly cheesesteak in Minneapolis tonight. First time we've ever found a real deal cheesesteak outside of PA. So, we both had a great day!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wookiee View Post
I have the basket... I use it to load with charcoal when letting the temp rip for fast chicken cooks. The minion bar/baffles didn’t work in my 2 experiments (fire jumped). I use basket when cooking vertical in warmer box or hot hot in main chamber for chicken... both of which I do relatively frequently... otherwise use just wood for standard cooking...
I've heard the fire jumps even with double wall baffles in these things. Being so, I'll make my own basket out of expanded metal for what you're talking about. The dude from Ballistic BBQ claims he can do the charcoal / guru thing for longer cooks with no basket at all. I've reached out to find out how he sets it up, and how long he gets out of it.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #15
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
Congratulations! You are correct about Chris and Amber. They are wonderful business people as well as super parents. Their shop is huge and very busy but the quality of their products is top notch. You will love your new smoker.

They are only a 40 minute drive from my house. I am always tempted to go there to "shoot the bull" but I know they are busy as bees. Every time I have been there, however, they stop and treat me as family.

In fact, I just might have to go there to get some some touch up paint for my LSG vertical offset.
If you go there soon, please tell them Jonathan from Minneapolis says a huge thank you and can't wait to get started cooking and reviewing on YouTube. Hope to get down there myself one day!

Tags
lone star grillz, lone star grillz new models, lone star grillz offset, LSG