MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

The Good One is my favorite charcoal by far. Cowboy isn't even close IMO. Search for different brands because there is a difference, but TGO is my favorite. Hopefully they will bring it back in stock.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Kroger brand lump is quite good if you live in an area served by Kroger. Royal Oak lump is also very good (at a good price point) if you are okay with shopping at Wally World. Around here, B&B available at Academy is another good brand of lump. I liked Wicked Good when I tried it earlier this year, but they were having serious supply issues in the summer, among other things.

I bought a few bags of RO lump when it went on sale a few months ago ($10 for 18lbs) and so far like it the best among what is available.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

I tried a bag of Nature's Own, and it had a surprisingly few big chunks & lots of stuff so small I couldn't use it. I prefer Wicked Good and was surprised how much more dense it is than the RO I got at RD. I'll stick with the Wicked, but it is pricey!
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle JJ View Post
I tried a bag of Nature's Own, and it had a surprisingly few big chunks & lots of stuff so small I couldn't use it. I prefer Wicked Good and was surprised how much more dense it is than the RO I got at RD. I'll stick with the Wicked, but it is pricey!
yes Wicked Good costs more but it lasts a lot longer, so I think its a wash more or less
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle JJ View Post
I am 100% with you on this. You are actually coming out about even in money when using Wicked Good vs Royal Oak, unless you find a great sale on RO. You get more cooking time with Wicked Good than you do with RO. I had a bag of Wicked Good last almost twice as long as a bag of Royal Oak in cook time.

I say that I pay more money upfront to spend as much money as I would in back end/long run. As opposed to spending cheaper money up front but having to buy more lump to do the same amount of cooking.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I am 100% with you on this. You are actually coming out about even in money when using Wicked Good vs Royal Oak, unless you find a great sale on RO. You get more cooking time with Wicked Good than you do with RO. I had a bag of Wicked Good last almost twice as long as a bag of Royal Oak in cook time.

I say that I pay more money upfront to spend as much money as I would in back end/long run. As opposed to spending cheaper money up front but having to buy more lump to do the same amount of cooking.
aawa speak da truth
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
yes Wicked Good costs more but it lasts a lot longer, so I think its a wash more or less
Way I look at. They say Ozark is good stuff but haven't tried yet. Sure wish this stuff was more accessible. Hence the high s&h charge.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Have any of you tried Parkers? I got a bag the last time I was at the BBQ Equipment Store, I thought it was pretty good stuff.

http://www.parkercharcoal.com

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL
- Kenmore Gasser -- RIP 5/31/12
tasterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
The Good One is my favorite charcoal by far. Cowboy isn't even close IMO. Search for different brands because there is a difference, but TGO is my favorite. Hopefully they will bring it back in stock.
I prefer TGO in my egg also. Ace hardware on 84th street stocks it. Ive used cowboy also and thought it smelled and took forever to get going

Thanks from:--->