• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri Tip - Reverse Sear & Zucchini

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Dinner with the In-Laws last night consisted of a nice natural choice tri tip & some grilled zucchini.

I rubbed this 2 lb 10 oz tri tip with a 50/50 combo of The Rub Co Original and Santa Maria rubs and got it into the Small Egg on a Woo, baking stone, drip pan, and CI grid set up along with a big chunk of red oak for smoke.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

The tri tip cooked in the 315-335 range until IT hit 119 when I removed it to open up the bottom vent, remove the DMFT, and put the CI grid onto the fire ring. Ten minutes later the Egg dome temp was at 550 and ready to sear. I put the tri tip (fat side down) for 1 minute and went back in to flip it.

IMG_2273.jpg

This is when the pyrotechnics happen (thanks to my BIL for snapping some pics):

IMG_2275.jpg

The other side was seared for 1 minute and the tri tip pulled off to rest (temps 127-middle, 134-in thinner end). I didn’t get the peak temp reading as I moved on to the veggie portion of the cook.

The Woo was placed back in the Egg and topped with a clean grid. I put the DMFT back on and put on some zucchini that had been soaked in some balsamic vinegar for almost two hours.

IMG_2291.jpg

Grilled the zucchini for a couple minutes per side and then sprinkled some parmesan cheese over it and let it go for another two minutes before pulling them.

IMG_2295.jpg

The tri tip had rested almost 30 minutes. I sliced it across the grain (aiming for 3/16” – 1/4" slices) and adjusted for the change in grain direction during slicing.
IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

Plated:

IMG_2317.jpg

It was a nice family dinner.

Thx for looking!

You totally knocked that out of the park! Fantastic looking meal!

Back