frozen food on the grill

sewerrat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I wanna do boneless, skinless chicken breasts for dinner tonight, but they are still 80% frozen. Should I thaw in microwave for awhile or throw them on the Bubba Keg frozen?

Thanks

Put them in a bowl in a sink and fill it with cool to cold water keep the faucet turned on to just above a drip. They will thaw in about 30-45 minutes. Don't try and cook them frozen and the microwave is going to make them pretty nasty.

Sorry, fill the bowl. Keeping the faucet running will cause convection and make things go much faster. The faster the faucet the faster it will thaw but it really doesn't need to be much.

Fill the bowl with the cool water.

The reason you let the water run is to carry away the colder water and replace it with the cool water. That allows for better heat transfer from the water to the meat.

In a pinch I have put them on after running them under water for just a few minutes cookem a little slow. I have also used hot water to defrost only Boneless chicken breast however once you start this you are committed. 10 min in hot water when the grill is heating then on the grill.

Water is about 400x more dense than air. Heat transfer is way better.

I would throw them on the grill and keep on eye on them to keep them from burning. I did a mess of them Friday that where still partially frozen, they came out fine. Just keep your eye on them.

ill probably catch heck for this but i always put mine on right out of the freezer. build my fire to the side . always works for me. cook for at least 45 minutes or longer.

I do my quick thaws with luke warm (almost cool) water in a big mixing bowl, then I replace the water every 15 minutes or so until my meat is thawed...

You can do them frozen, just grill them medium heat direct and set indirect for a bit. My old roommate used to take frozen chicken and hamburger patties straight from the freezer to the grill. It wasn't as good as fresh but it did the trick. We ate pretty good for poor college kids.

I like to put frozen meat onto a cast iron skillet or griddle, the bigger the cast iron mass the better, this thaws the meat very quickly.

I throw my skinless/boneless partialy enhanced on frozen sometime. A rub then is pretty much useless (my experience) until they start to juice up a little. I usually will sauce them instead.

Throw em in and watchem is my motto. Lather em up later.... have fun and send pics

Back