MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not my first cook on the MAK 1 but this thread needs some pics.

St. Louis style ribs, sweet potatoes and French bread all done on the MAK.

Started the ribs around noon and set the MAK at 225 degrees. Put the sweet potatoes on around 3 pm, bumped the MAK to 275 around 4 pm, pulled the taters around 5:30 as they were quite soft, added the already baked bread for the last few minutes of the cook, and pull the ribs around 6 pm.

Everything was great. Not the greatest quality of ribs from my local supermarket but they were nice and juicy. The smoke flavor was light but good. I may try starting in the smoke mode for a few hours on the next rib cook to see how those compare.

All in all I am super excited to have such a high-quality, versatile and fun-to-use cooker.

Now I will shut up and show some pics:

Right after I put them on. The lighting makes the back rack look like it is cooking faster but that was not really the case:

The finished product:

And the plating:

Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #17
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Beautiful plate Bob!

(dang that hurt to say)

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #18
Bob C Cue

Note to self and anyone else who might learn from this experience. If you decide to do Pillsbury flaky biscuits on your MAK on a cookie sheet make sure you put them on the top rack and not the bottom. Mine came out very very dark on the bottom but fortunately was able to salvage the tops.

On the plus side I was surprised that the cookie sheet was able to fit lengthwise into the MAK where the same pan will not do that in my kitchen oven
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Old 04-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #19
jj13
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jim

Got the 2star today, was able to put it together and ran to the store to grab a few things. Ended up making armadillo eggs, smoked polish sausage and smoked brats.

The armadillo eggs were eh. I make jalapeño poppers which I, along with everyone else loves but these just didn’t get close. Not sure why or if I was expecting something so much more.

The sausages/brats were really good. Casing had a good snap, not dried out at all. I tasted a little smoke but I think my senses were a bit screwed up since I was breathing it in for way too long. Wondering how it will taste tomorrow.

I got some chicken legs to smoke tomorrow night or Sunday. Gotta look through some recipes to see what people recommend.

Planning on a pork shoulder, ribs, bacon, steaks within the next couple of weeks along with a sausage crust pizza (regular pizza for my wife) and hopefully a brisket when i feel a bit more comfortable with everything.
jj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #20
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

You new-to-MAK guys are in for a real treat... And its nice of you to take us along for the ride...
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #21
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Let's see..... So far:

Thursday I did the initial burn-in and then let it cool off and threw in a Costco Keilbasa and some of the frozen Costco Meatballs. Traeger Gourmet blend. Didn't think much of the smell.

I thought the Keilbasa had great flavor & consistency - definitely a winner (wife wanted me to slice it up and do a quick sear. Maybe next time)

The meatballs picked up a hint of smoke before they got added to the Spaghetti. Not really worthwhile.

Friday I did a Tri-tip. Swapped it out to the Bear Mountain Gourmet blend. MUCH better smell coming out of the MAK. EVO & Montreal Steak seasoning. 235 until internal reached 127. No real bark/crust to speak of. Pulled and let rest for quite a bit (i was expecting it to take longer to reach that internal temp). Fired up the Weber with KBB and some big chunks of Oak. Seared it off until had the crust I wanted.

Verdict: A Winner. Perfect Temp & Appearance IMO. I was amazed at how strong the spice flavor was - I'll have to back off on the seasoning levels in the future. Good smoke flavor.

Tonight: BB Ribs. Swapping out the pellets for Bear Mountain Apple. Slathered the ribs with mustard, then a combo of Paprika, SPG & Onion with a hint of Cayenne. Planning on going about 2.5-1-.5 or thereabouts (3-2-1 with BB's is just going too far IMO). Spritz with AJ during the first part. Wrap with honey and brown sugar & a bit of seasoning. Finish with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Blues Hog - haven't decided yet.

Also going to do some of the Costco Frozen wings (see a pattern here?) for about an hour in the smoke, then over into the Super Smoker to hold until about ready to serve. I cheat and give them about a minute in a deep fryer right before we eat.

Giving me an opportunity to learn the functionality of the MAK 2*. I'll get into the more serious stuff next week.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
ttkt57
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill Bryant

So many posts without pictures!

Old 04-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #23
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Didn't take too many pics. Slicing the TT.

Edit: Made a separate thread about the "Arrival" of my MAK & a couple of pictures.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=291247

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by SoCalWJS; 04-24-2021 at 12:50 PM..
SoCalWJS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Tri tip looks perfect
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #25
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

First use of the "smoke" setting as I start a rack and a half of BB Ribs.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
First use of the "smoke" setting as I start a rack and a half of BB Ribs.

Tuned in buddy!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #27
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Let's see..... So far:

Thursday I did the initial burn-in and then let it cool off and threw in a Costco Keilbasa and some of the frozen Costco Meatballs. Traeger Gourmet blend. Didn't think much of the smell.

I thought the Keilbasa had great flavor & consistency - definitely a winner (wife wanted me to slice it up and do a quick sear. Maybe next time)

The meatballs picked up a hint of smoke before they got added to the Spaghetti. Not really worthwhile.

Friday I did a Tri-tip. Swapped it out to the Bear Mountain Gourmet blend. MUCH better smell coming out of the MAK. EVO & Montreal Steak seasoning. 235 until internal reached 127. No real bark/crust to speak of. Pulled and let rest for quite a bit (i was expecting it to take longer to reach that internal temp). Fired up the Weber with KBB and some big chunks of Oak. Seared it off until had the crust I wanted.

Verdict: A Winner. Perfect Temp & Appearance IMO. I was amazed at how strong the spice flavor was - I'll have to back off on the seasoning levels in the future. Good smoke flavor.

Tonight: BB Ribs. Swapping out the pellets for Bear Mountain Apple. Slathered the ribs with mustard, then a combo of Paprika, SPG & Onion with a hint of Cayenne. Planning on going about 2.5-1-.5 or thereabouts (3-2-1 with BB's is just going too far IMO). Spritz with AJ during the first part. Wrap with honey and brown sugar & a bit of seasoning. Finish with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Blues Hog - haven't decided yet.

Also going to do some of the Costco Frozen wings (see a pattern here?) for about an hour in the smoke, then over into the Super Smoker to hold until about ready to serve. I cheat and give them about a minute in a deep fryer right before we eat.

Giving me an opportunity to learn the functionality of the MAK 2*. I'll get into the more serious stuff next week.
Congratulations on your new cooker and your first cooks. Any reason why you started with Traeger pellets and are swapping pellets out with each cook?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 04-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #28
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Congratulations on your new cooker and your first cooks. Any reason why you started with Traeger pellets and are swapping pellets out with each cook?
Want to figure out my likes/dislikes quickly, so I started with the Traeger “Gourmet Blend” as it is cheap and available at Costco - we go to Costco at least once a week. Gotta say I’m not real impressed with that Traeger blend.
Bear Mountain is at Tractor Supply - further away and crappy accessibility, but a new one is going to be built much closer. Hope they carry it too.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #29
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Mine is finally scheduled for a delivery tomorrow. I'll go get some sausage from the freezer to thaw out.

That being said, I know the fatty is the traditional first cook, but does anyone know the reason WHY it became this tradition? I was just telling a friend that it would be the first thing I throw on there (after a few staged photos, of course) and when he asked why...I didn't have a proper answer.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #30
ss4825
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : ss4825

I'm doing my first real cook today on my 2*. Chuck roast ribs. Since I still haven't figured out pictures I'll do my best to tell the story. Trimmed most of the fat cap and silver skin off the ribs and rubbed. I'm going to fire up the smoker at 9:00 am. 3 hours at 230 now wrapped and turned the heat up to 275. Did beef broth and butter in the wrap.

Last edited by ss4825; 05-03-2021 at 11:33 AM..
ss4825 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Webers Rule.. Great Weber