• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ugly Drum Smoker - Food Grade Liner

I would avoid food grade if possible, but with the $20 HF weed burner. I got coating out in two less than half-hour sessions. It comes off in sheets when it gets to the necessary temp. Worst part is the bottom perimeter, the heat tends to come right back at ya. I'll try to avoid it next time, but it was $20 for an otherwise very nice drum.

Resurrecting thread

Good afternoon oh brethren of the functional smokers.

I’m burning out my drum with the food grade liner, all of the light brown/red brown melted off by running the torch along the outside of the barrel. Unfortunately it looks like there is an additional black liner underneath. Has anyone encountered this? I’m second guessing whether to burn it again putting the torch inside, any danger there? tia

The torch will suffocate. It will use the oxygen to quick and go out. Drill the intake holes on the bottom of the barrel. Fill the barrel with wood and light her up.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll source some wood and try to make it easier on myself.

I would drill the vent holes first for good air flow and then burn it.

Even with a good burnout, you might still have to do some wire wheeling- but the more you burn, the easier the wheeling.

If you are going to use the flat lid, resist the temptation to just toss it in there while the burnout is going on. It will "taco" on you.

I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker and I made the mistake of getting one with a red liner. I should have known better since I researched this forum and found numerous warnings against drums with liners in it:doh:. In my defence, I thought the liner was a rubber coating or something similar (i thought mine was paint, yes iam this dense.) Harbor freight sells a $20 weed burner what worked well to burn out/loosen most of the liner. I recommend burning liner out that stuff smells awful when heat it applied (and the smoke it produces ain't no thin blue). The reputation of the red liner is well deserved i still have to grind out the liner (im about 1/3 of the way through). Not looking forward to climbing inside and grinding out the rest:shock:
I`ve made four drums in the past few months it takes four flapper disk to grind out the liner after burning out the liner it dosen`t mater if you buy good wheels or cheap wheels it takes four i find it hard to belive that someone would leave the liner in a drum they are made out of epoxe paint that would taste bad bad bad and probaly poison you

Back