MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Looking for Spice

Hi all. I'm looking for recommendations for a sauce that has a bit of zip to it. I'm not looking to burn my taste buds but I would like some spice. This will be used for ribs and butts. Thanks.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I use Blue Hog
Some mix with head country or Tenn Red
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
stckciv
Knows what a fatty is.

Tongue Spank has some rubs that I love on ribs. https://www.tonguespank.com/
Just find the pepper blend you prefer, you won't be disappointed.

Edit: thought you said rub but you're after sauce.
Try Lucky Dog Brown label, it's a nice sauce for BBQ.
stckciv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Head Country Apple Habanero isn't bad but my favorite is Warpigs FUBAR Flamethrower I received from a trade round.

Shipping isn't bad if you order 4 bottles.
https://warpigbbq.com/FUBAR-Flamethrower-p116637395
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

It is hard to know how much spice you want. I have had bone sucking sauce and it is good; they have a hot style too. Baby rays has a spicy sauce, and Bandanas has two different styles of sauce that is spicier. Also, and this is a little weird, if you find a sauce that you really like, but it isn't spicy, Blairs https://www.hotsauce.com/Blairs-Deat...Sauces-Snacks/ is a hotsauce company, that makes a pepper extract that is really hot and has no flavor. You can use a drop at a time to add to your sauce, until it is where you want it for heat level

Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
PatAttack

Yes, Dear BBQ #NotJuice competition bbq sauce.

https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/coll...e-17-oz-bottle

You will not be disappointed. Chad & Frank have put together an excellent product with this one. Their other sauces are still great but this one is da' bomb!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Ground cayenne or chile de arbol will add heat to what ever sauce you put it in with out altering the flavor of the sauce, ground habanero, if you can find it, will add both heat and a bit of fruity flavor. You will have to figure out how much to add for the heat level you are aiming for.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Stokensmoke
Got Wood.

I picked up some Stubbs a while back - I thought it was good but the wife and kids thought it was too spicy. One of my favorites is the Texas Pit sauce from Famous Daves. I get it over at Menards for like $3.50. They've got the Devils spit too if you want to go to another level.
Stokensmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Ground cayenne or chile de arbol will add heat to what ever sauce you put it in with out altering the flavor of the sauce, ground habanero, if you can find it, will add both heat and a bit of fruity flavor. You will have to figure out how much to add for the heat level you are aiming for.
Interesting. I may have to look into this a bit.

Quote:
This seems like a good approach.

Thanks all for the input. I was really trying to narrow down my search through the countless types of sauce on the market. You gotta start somewhere, and this helped. I know it's impossible to know how much spice and what other flavors I might like. I just appreciate your willingness to share what you like. Now, off to get more food to smoke!

Bill
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

Oakridge is a good rub and is now available for a decent price on amazon

https://amzn.to/2HesgeN

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I make my own concoction using Sweet Baby Rays as my base.
I add the stuff I use to add individually at the grill to what's cookin.
Then I paint my ribs, tri-tip, or what's cookin, as I cook and turn.

I grew into it by taking the things I added at the grill, and combining them dry and sprinkling the mixture on meat on the grill. (using a cheese shaker)
Later, I added that mixture to SBR and my sauce was born.

But to add heat, I simply add Cyan Pepper powder.
1/2 tsp spices it up, 1 tsp builds a fire. (Using a full bottle of S.B.R.)

So I'd suggest you take some of your favorite sauce, because you know you like it, and add Cyan Pepper to it.
Try 1/4 tsp, mix well, then taste.
Add 1/4 tsp more, then taste.
When you like the spike, cook some hamburger for a taste test.

What I look for is a nice afterburn in the throat after the swallow. (1 tsp does that well.)

My tender mouthed wife complains about any heat from the spices.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
IamMadMan

As the others above have commented, we don't know your level of heat comfort, so everything is just a guess hoping to hit the mark. The other side of the coin is your personal tastes and likes. There are sauces with all different types of bases to start with: Vinegar Base, Mustard Base, Catsup Based, and Tomato based to name a few.

Also a spicy rub can had a spicy layer of flavor under the sauce. I'd suggest Oakridge Habenero Death Dust, spicy, but not a killer hot.

If you are looking for mild heat I'd suggest "Craig's BBQ Sauce" from Pepper Jelly Inc. Slightly sweet and tickles your taste buds with mild heat.

If you want something spicy for chicken I'd suggest "Boss Sauce (hot)" or "Sal's Sassy Sauce (hot)". While it has a mustard base, it also has some sweetness and some citrus to balance out the mustard and the heat. They are my favorite chicken wing sauces, and they are great on grilled pork chops as well.

For beef and pork, I'd suggest Head Country Hot BBQ sauce. A little thinner, which is great for beef so that you don't have that sweet thick sticky layer of sauce sitting on top. You can also thin any sauce with a little apple juice or cider vinegar depending upon your personal tastes or preferences.

The BBQ-Brethren also has a sauce review thread that list some characteristics of some of the many commercial sauces available. Feel free to browse some of the results. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14889

Good luck in your search....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
LYU370

Shack Attack! One of the few sauces I actually make.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sauce, Spicy