MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Mark In The Pit
Knows what a fatty is.

Default For anyone curious how to prep and run your offset smoker using strait wood

I like oak. I have lots of oak laying around. I burn it in the winter in my wood stove to heat my house. Sometimes I’ll add apple or pecan or peach to the mix but that’s usually just chunks that come from Walmart or the hardware store. Oak that has been cured for about a year seems to work best for me in my smoker. It’s very mild but very tasty. After some time burning strait wood in your smoker you will find what works best for you.

Small fire equals small heat. If you want to keep a steady 250F you need a tiny fire with a good bed of coals. Think like you are making a camp fire for elves that will make your meats more desirable if you keep them consistently warm. You need actual flame on that fire or you will get lots of thick dirty smoke, the bad smoke, not the good clean smoke that is desired like that from an active flame.

Small wood helps make for a small fire for small heat. Whatever you think looks right, chop it in half. The smaller the better. Yes, it’s more work, yes you will be in and out of the fire box a lot for the first few hours until you have a great bed of coals built up but that is the cost of success. Once you have a good bed of hot active coals you can gradually start putting in wood that is a little larger to buy you more free time if needed. The more coals the easier it is to keep a flame on a fresh piece of wood.

If you start getting the bad smoke just open your firebox lid and wait for the wood to re catch on fire. Than if needed adjust your vent for a more appropriate flow. I just leave my firebox door wide open so the fire can burn naturally. I don't try to smolder the fire to control temp. I control the size of the fire to control temp.

Don’t worry too much about losing heat in the chamber during this time. You won’t lose it that fast and I’d rather lose a little heat than eat a lot of foul smoke.

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Panupat
Full Fledged Farker

What was the difference between thumb-up wood and the thumb-down one? The bark?
Panupat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Mark In The Pit
Knows what a fatty is.

The size, length and diameter.

Thumbs down was standard 12" - 18" length and about as fat as a thigh.

Thumbs up is about 6" - 8" and as thick as a wrist.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Burnbern
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks awesome help and I've bookmarked this

Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Mark In The Pit
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks!

Tags
Fire, how to, mark in the pit, offset, Oklahoma Joe, prep, run, smoker, strait, wood