Boneless Eye of Round

Eye of the Round is very lean.
Makes wonderful "deli-sliced beef" for sandwiches, especially French Dip.

I cook them at 275-325 or whatever temp strikes my mood at the time.
Time? Really don't know. Depends on temp and all of that. Probably 2-3 hours in my cookers.

Finish at 135-145 and rest till room temp.
It can be finished in the 120's also if you prefer.

Then into the refrig overnight to cool and firm up.

Slice paper thin and enjoy.

Good Eats!!!!

TIM

I may have messed it up when I cooked it , but i cooked one at about 300 till it was 140 degrees in the center , and it was the toughest , chewiest , worst piece of meat I've ever cooked.

They are very lean and don't like to be taken past med rare. I'd a slow smoked till 115, then reverse sear, pull at 125 and rest for 30 minutes minimum, then slice thin across grain.

The leftover sammie idea is a great one.

Yeah, 140 (145 after rest) is too far.

Thanks guys. I picked it up whole for $2.99 a # so I just had to get it.. I hope I can turn it out.

Any Seasoning ideas. I was thinking Butcher BBQ Steak and Brisket rub or a mixture of Kosher salt, Black pepper, McCormick Rosted Garlic rub, and Chipotle powder. which is was I use on my steaks most of the time.

Fresh ground pepper and kosher salt, and maybe some granulated garlic would work great.

Montreal steak seasoning is simple and effective too.

Just had that for lunch at my brothers place, throw on a rub, indirect in his weber kettle, reverse sear, take it to about 125 then rest for 10 minutes. Medium rare and juicy, delicious. Oh, slice thin, pile high on kaiser rolls, spread a little home made horsey sauce and nice cheese...you are in business.

We cook eye of round all the time. Wife rubs it down with lawrys,black pepper & garlic powder, toss it on the gasser to sear then turn down the heat and cook to rare then let it rest or if it's really nasty out sear it in a cast iron pan and finish in the oven @ 350.
With the left overs I mix up some brown gravy,throw the slices in just to warm them up and make a sammy with slightly toasted sliced Italian bread. Yummy!

Fresh ground pepper and kosher salt, and maybe some granulated garlic would work great.

Montreal steak seasoning is simple and effective too.

El Ropo,

Do you use 1 part salt, 1 part pepper and one part garlic?

Brian

I love pepper, so my mix is probably closer to 2 part fresh cracked pepper, 1 part kosher salt, 1 part garlic powder, but I prefer granulated garlic powder if you can get a hold of some.

I always eyeball the ratios, nothing is exact. I use a similar concoction on burgers. :hungry:

Thank you Sir! I will give it a go. I like pepper... Black Pepper, White Pepper and Red Pepper... I just hate grinding the chit with a mortar and pestle BUT that beats a hand mill any day! Kosher salt is a good choice!

Brian

Thank you Sir! I will give it a go. I like pepper... Black Pepper, White Pepper and Red Pepper... I just hate grinding the chit with a mortar and pestle BUT that beats a hand mill any day! Kosher salt is a good choice!

Brian

Cheap electric coffee grinder works wonders

trim it and....

do something else ...make Bresaola (airdried cured beef) from it..

here you see how to..

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=795F85CDF7D72822&resid=795F85CDF7D72822!681

HPIM1359_640x480.JPG

I saw a recipe where the chef cored out the center and stuffed it with Chorizo.
Then slow cooked it, claimed it came out real tender. I guess the fat content in the Chorizo helped that.
Its on my list to do.

Cheap electric coffee grinder works wonders

These work great. I have a decent conical burr coffee grinder that I picked up at costco a long time ago for cheap. It's my dedicated spice grinder, set to coarsest setting and grind away. Don't care for the heat build up on less expensive whirly blade grinders. Plus the grind is much nicer with the conical burrs.

Got a nicer burr grinder with reduction gears for my every day coffee grinding.

I saw a recipe where the chef cored out the center and stuffed it with Chorizo.
Then slow cooked it, claimed it came out real tender. I guess the fat content in the Chorizo helped that.
Its on my list to do.

The problem with stuffing meat in this way is the danger of contamination. The exterior of meat should be considered contaminated. When we grill or smoke the meat, it is exposed to high temperatures that will kill what is on the surface. By stuffing the meat, you have brought the contaminants to the center of the meat when you cut into it. To be safe, you must cook this well -- it is the same argument of why ground meat must be cooked well done. Most of us will probably take the risk, but you should be aware that there is a risk. Yeah, I'd probably eat it myself, but be hesitant to serve it to others as there's nothing worse than the thought of guests getting sick on something I cooked.

Brian

Hey Brian pick up an inexpensive coffee grinder at wally world, they are small and don't take up much room. If you use if for strong spices like cloves don't think about ever using it for say coffee. Don't ask how I know this.

Guess I should have read all the post before I sent this
Dave

Back