MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Question about separating the point from flat on a brisket

I know most folks recommend against separating the point from the flat before cooking. Not sure I understand why, particularly as I see some approaches to trimming that aggressively remove the fat, including most of the layer that's between the two muscles.

Why does it matter if the muscles have been separated in general, and particularly when things are trimmed that way?

For the most part, things tend to work better when they are even thickness and that would seem better as separate pieces than the shape of a full packer.

What am I missing?

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

People who separate them are 1) doing it for competition or burnt end reasons 2) people who don't know what they are doing and have no confidence in their ability to cook a brisket.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I trim my briskets so that the point lays uniformly on the flat and the brisket is roughly the same thickness end to end. That involves removing a lot of the hard white fat between the point and the flat, but they're still attached. I'm probably considered a "heavy trimmer".

I havent really liked the results any time I have separated them, though as rockinar said many people do for competitions and they seem to turn out well for that purpose. Not only are the point and flat separated but they are heavily trimmed/shaped after that.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

I do an aggressive trim to get more surface area on the point for burnt ends. I don’t separate but I remove most of the fat later between the 2 muscles

Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

There's a couple advantages to separating before the cook :

1. You can trim away all the excess fat which was between the 2 muscles so it speeds up the cook time.

2. You can get bark (and a smoke ring) all the way around both muscles so there's a bit more flavor and people aesthetically seem to love a smoke ring.

3. The two different muscles have differing fat contents and grain patterns, so it allows for you to cook each muscle individually to perfect tenderness without over/under cooking the other muscle.

4. Burnt ends!

The only fat that really matters in a brisket is the intergranular fat (or marbling) and everything else is just excess. So getting rid of that huge layer of fat between the muscles isn't a problem and there's no worries of drying out the brisket by doing so.

When it comes to brisket people tend to be very gun-shy about trying new things. What they have done in the past has worked just fine, so I can see them being very leery about taking a risk with an expensive cut of meat.

Give it a shot and see how it comes out. I like to cook at 275° and the flats are almost always done at 201-203, while the point is usually finished at about 207-209.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I have had great results separating as SmoothBoar said above. More smoke, more bark, less fat, less cook time.

What prompted me to try it was cooking on a PK grill which is kind of small. Separating allowed me to use both the upper and lower rack effectively. I take a Costco prime to perfection in about 7 hours.

Rockinar may see some sort of meaning in cooking them whole, but the point (no pun intended) for me is to produce great Q. Whatever produces the result you like is the right way.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I left it whole when I trimmed it and rubbed it last night. This morning I decided to try it on the kettle with the slow and sear (if I could get it to fit). Was taking forever to come up to temp so went ahead and separated them while I was waiting. Side note, the kettle takes a long time to come up to temp when you forget to open the bottom vent

Probably a good outcome as it wasn't going to fit well anyway. Flat's on the kettle, point is on the Rectec. We'll see how it works.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Yep. Funny things can happen when you start this early.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

We seperate for comps 100% of the time. At home, I'm 50/50. I don't see much of a difference in tenderness, etc either way. But, burnt ends are better separated.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

While I was reading this, I started wondering if anyone has taken out the fatty stuff between the point and flat and used meat glue to "cement" the two portions back together. Seems like it might be the best of both worlds. I used it with good results on a smallish pork loin about a month or so ago, cutting it in have lengthwise, then "glueing" it together, then smoking it. It was a perfect sandwich size when done. Next time I do briskets (I do at least 2 or more at the same time) I'm going to do exactly that
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

I've only ever separated when I wrap. The point gets cubed and panned and the flat gets the foil treatment.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

The best brisket I have made to date involved separating the point from the flat, and no water in the pan on the WSM... but I probably don't know what I am doing.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
There's a couple advantages to separating before the cook :

1. You can trim away all the excess fat which was between the 2 muscles so it speeds up the cook time.

2. You can get bark (and a smoke ring) all the way around both muscles so there's a bit more flavor and people aesthetically seem to love a smoke ring.

3. The two different muscles have differing fat contents and grain patterns, so it allows for you to cook each muscle individually to perfect tenderness without over/under cooking the other muscle.

4. Burnt ends!

The only fat that really matters in a brisket is the intergranular fat (or marbling) and everything else is just excess. So getting rid of that huge layer of fat between the muscles isn't a problem and there's no worries of drying out the brisket by doing so.

When it comes to brisket people tend to be very gun-shy about trying new things. What they have done in the past has worked just fine, so I can see them being very leery about taking a risk with an expensive cut of meat.

Give it a shot and see how it comes out. I like to cook at 275° and the flats are almost always done at 201-203, while the point is usually finished at about 207-209.
I'm gonna disagree with the last part about fat. yes intramuscular fat is important but a properly trimmed fat cap lubricates the slices adding moisture. fat cap is important especially when concerning the flat

Old 10-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I just took a brisket class locally from a guy who used to compete and he separated the point and the flat. He says he still separates when cooking backyard bbq. It tasted very good so it didn't seem to hurt anything.

I personally have always cooked them together but I may try separating them the next time.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
G'Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

I have always cooked as a whole. When done, separated the two and trimmed the fat.