MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #16
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

For cutting boards, I have the white plastic stuff, use it often. when it does get ridges in it, it's like my yaks, I can either scrape it a bit to smooth them out, or a small amount of heat from a torch will reduce the hills and valleys. I also make it a habit of using a corian cutting board that I got in maine. very nice. I usually pop both into the dishwasher after I had clean to get it as sanitized as possible. I really need to make a blue meat cutting board and a white everything else cutting board. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #17
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have corian countertops, but never cut on them, as it's hard on my knives. If I get some sort of windfall, I'd consider a thick butcher block island, like 24" thick, with knife slots on one side.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
roknrandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke
I use color coded boards i.e. brown = cooked meats; red= raw;
yellow = raw poultry, etc. Bleach and soap to clean.
I use the same boards as smoke, When you have imune systems problems like me I have to be anal about the boards and make sure they get cleaned so that cross contamination isnt an issue. Different colors for different items. The only difference is after a quick bleach scrub (I keep a spray bottle of bleach & water under the sink) mine go into the diswasher just to make sure.

[COLOR=#ff0000]WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.[/COLOR]

one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bootle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.
roknrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #19
queball
On the road to being a farker

I use both wood and Bamboo. The bamboo seems to be very durable and relatively maintenance free. My wood board, which is probably 15 years only and is end grain Maple has been been rode hard and put up wet but just seems to get better with age. It dishes a bit but still my favorite.

"If God did'nt want us to eat cows, he would'nt have made them out of meat."
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #20
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I use strictly plastic cutting boards. I dont use them for prep unless trimming fat or pulling membranes off ribs. Then into hot soapy water, then bleach water rinse. When prepping done/cooked food, One board for each item. Then hot soapy water and bleach rinse again.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #21
Lazy Dawg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
I think i have a piece of butcher block left over from a job that is
2'-0" X 7-0" X 1 1/2" thick. If anybody round here wants a piece cut off of it let me know the size. Its brand new in the box

Hey Steve if your offer still stands and there is enough I would love a piece. Say 2X2

Lazy Dawg BBQ Team

2 Offset Tin cans
1 Weber smokey Joe

When my day comes to meet my maker.... I hope to have spent a few days in paradise before the devil knows I'm there 8)
Lazy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #22
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull
I use strictly plastic cutting boards. I dont use them for prep unless trimming fat or pulling membranes off ribs. Then into hot soapy water, then bleach water rinse. When prepping done/cooked food, One board for each item. Then hot soapy water and bleach rinse again.
Same here. HDPE wash, rinse, sanitize. I work for a company that was selling them and when we closed out the line, I bought 20 -24x24" boards. They are yellow and blue for HAACP designation (think it's poultry and fish?) I'm set for the next 10 years! Woody
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #23
GIRLYQUE
Knows what a fatty is.

We typically use the wood. Much better on the knives. But...for chicken we use the white plastic ones. But only while the surface stays smooth enough to clean properly. Once they are chopped up we toss them.
GIRLYQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIRLYQUE
We typically use the wood. Much better on the knives. But...for chicken we use the white plastic ones. But only while the surface stays smooth enough to clean properly. Once they are chopped up we toss them.
Never thought of this before but why not sand them down a little with a Makita hand-held finisher?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #25
bbqjoe
Banned

The plastic boards, when "Chopped up" Can be sanded quite a few times in order to get the surface smooth again. I do mine every so often. When you work with them day after day, sometimes it's easy not to notice that they are indeed due for a resurfacing and a good bleaching.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #26
voodoobbqIL
Full Fledged Farker

WE use all kinds different stuff for different things. WE label the white sani-safe ones with the designation on the edge. Since they are smooth on both sides, one is labeled "moo" with black arrow, "oink" with red arrow, and then another board is "cluck". I like the smooth and "blood trough" models depending on what you are doing. I use some of that new shelf liner stuff that is non-skid to keep from cutting any digits off of my hands from board slide...very handy in a humidity rich environment, like a contest.

WE have a butcher block made out of Texas Long Left Pine, it is nice for veggies and stuff I don't do a lot of meat as it requires a bit of upkeep and sanding it is a bit of like something you would see on ESPN great outdoors games. I have several other maple boards that travel with us for slicing at turn in time.

On the subject of the plastic boards, we usually toss them once they get cut up. According to the Sani-safe and Vollrath folks that is the best thing to do. I keep a couple in the garage to use as carry platters for hot items they make great trivets for the table. For cleaning them while they are still good I wash them really well and spray with clorox-water and let air dry. Supposedly that kills all the stuff that makes you have to lay on the floor and count the bathroom tiles.

I think the best boards are the one that feel best for you, and don't tear up your good knives.
Ole' Hickory CTO /
large BGE
2 x Weber 22.5 One Touch Silver (red , black)
Weber Smokey Joe
Char-Broil Gas Passer
voodoobbqIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #27
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use plastic. I've got three that I'm constantly washing so as to minimize the possibility of cross-contaminiation. They've held up pretty well over the years.

On a related note, at work we're experimenting with making signs out of Corian. We ordered a few 2 x 3 cutting boards and are putting vinyl letters on them. It's kinda cool.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #28
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminQ
On a related note, at work we're experimenting with making signs out of Corian. We ordered a few 2 x 3 cutting boards and are putting vinyl letters on them. It's kinda cool.
Corian sounds like some tough stuff.
http://www2.dupont.com/Corian/en_GB/uses_apps/food.html

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #29
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

Default cutting boards

We use the giant plastic ones from the restaurant supply houses, Through the years we have had various problems with health departments over the appearence of the boards even though they are cleaned and bleched constantly. We finally sprung for new ones before Harpoon and they sure didn't look new very long! I would not dare to bring wood on the circuit; the health inspectors can be ...shall we say eccentric?
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #30
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Isn't corian very hard? Does it dull blades quickly?

I noticed that in the brochure for Corian countertops they had a wood cutting board.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote