Where did this brisket go wrong?

Could you give a new guy some more details on bounce and feel? Thanks!

they will wobble when touched, the flat and point kind of move independently. a done brisket will give in your hands and be droopy when held from the middle

Should it do that when straight from the pit or only after resting?

Also the post that said the thermapen is quite sharp so may give the illusion of tender seems right to me. I have heard of using a plastic chopstickto probe for tenderness. Does anyone know if this would work?

Last edited:
Any probe that is pointy will work. You just have to use the same one every time. They each have their own feel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thermapen for probing for doneness is your problem. They have a very sharp probe. Less resistance than a normal thermometer. Pick up a pack of dial thermometers from Sam's Club. The probes are dull and won't make you think a brisket is done when it is not done. You did not cook it long enough.

What?

I'm not sure how this pic got in my phone. Surely i didn't cook a brisket like this...
b72f328e702fb5bb7bf82cc3ad81b37b.jpg

Looks like that tofu brisket that is all the rage in Austin.

Could you give a new guy some more details on bounce and feel? Thanks!

When your temp gets close, pick it up with a towel in the middle of the brisket like Franklin is doing at the start of this video when he's removing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw

Then sorta shake a little bit to make the ends bounce. If your thought is "Oh s**t its going to fall apart".....its ready. If you wrap heavy in foil or too much paper, this wont work obviously.

I had issues myself with brisket. I switched to cheap thermometer from sams club. The probe being duller helped me hit tenderness. Take your thermopen and the cheap dial thermometer from sams club. It will feel different.

All I am saying is try it if you have the issue the op is having. Thermopen is great for temping meat but if your probing brisket it makes it easier to know when its done using the duller probe.

This is how I probe a brisket for doneness. It works for me.

Honestly, you can learn the feel with thermopen but imo it slides in too easy and can be hard to tell proper doneness. A dull probe will let you notice the difference easier.

I think you were a little underdone on the cook time, and leaving it on the bench for 90 minutes in paper was I think what tightened it up a lot. I would have wrapped it in a towel and put it in a dry cooler preheated with boiling water.

^^^ Me too. Although I really think that's not the whole issue. A few things don't make sense. Short cooktime but temping at +200F with reliable gear. Only a 5kg briskey... was it a full brisket or just the flat etc. It would be good to know if it was Angus or something else. Buying brisket in Melbourne is getting better, but not an exact science just yet. I have bought meat labeled as brisket that was belly plate and that is a whole different deal all together.

Can only recommend you do it again with a bigger brisket at 225 to 250 and just forget about the internal temperature. It's ready when it probes ready in the flat (with that Thermopen or a large skewer) and that's all there is to it. When you pull it, wrap in a towel or 2 and rest in an Esky for 2 hours minumum. Naturally... make sure you start way early in case it takes forever!

Don't forget to invite me over... :becky:

Cheers!

In my opinion, you rested to long. I usually let my brisket rest 15-30 min and then into the cambro. Depends on if the cambro is hot or cold. Most of the time my pork is done first and in the cambro so it is already hot. I’ll let it sit outside wrapped in foil for 10-15 min or so and then into the cambro with the door vented for maybe another 10 min. I usually don’t temp when I slice, Bc at that point it is what it is. I’ll try and take note at my next cook on temp when I slice. But best guess I’m still 180ish

Edit: time in cambro is usually and hr or more. So I’m probably at about 90min total rest

I don't know what part you probed but that brisket is definitely not done

based on the picture i'd tend to agree with this. that slice of brisket has way too much fat in there that should of rendered off.

The point will probe tender waaaaaay before the flat. When I pull it out to wrap it I typically separate point from flat. I cube the point for burnt ends. At that point the cubes are like little racquetballs in texture. Much more rendering to be done.

As for probes, go order some take out Chinese food, and grab a bunch of those wooden chopsticks. Pointy, but not sharp. Takes a little pressure to break through the bark, but you'll know when the middle is tender.

Back