MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Just a Friendly Observation:

I think Ofer came up with a creative Throwdown category that he obviously put some time and thought into.

Let's not take the wind out of this Throwdown's voyage by commiserating about traumatic lighter-fluid childhood memories. Not all of our Throwdowns are inclusive, as we sometimes have categories that don't always appeal to everyone, and even cooker specific categories that automatically prevent those who don't have those cookers from participating. You can wait this one out on the sidelines if it's not a good fit, OR, you might give it a go to correct those lighter fluid/burnt protein memories that may haunt some of you.

That is all...

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 02-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
gengle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Hah! My pop was pretty handy on a grill. We always had some sort of wood burning grill. Last house I lived in with the folks had a sweet wood fired built in. Our camp/cabin had a large brick/stone grill that he and my uncles built. They had a large stainless steamer made that covered the entire surface, prolly 2x4 ft ... lots of clam bakes with that thing as well as whole hog cooks. Sadly, I find myself w/o a wood fired anything. I dropped the torch! I may remedy that soon. re-read your post ... laughed again! Thanks for that!
Old 02-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #18
robbish
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Rob

This is not an entry, as was a cook from December, but did a similar cook-off but the theme was re-create any classic childhood dish on the bbq. Not sure how well these foods are known internationally, but in the UK crispy pancakes and potato smileys were pretty standard childhood staples.

Smoked up a rack of beef short ribs, and shred them to use for the filling for the pancakes and the potato smileys were just formed using mashed potato, flour and some bbq rubs - then all cooked on the kamado - was good fun and went down well with the kids!

robbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #19
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

^Those pancakes look good!
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #20
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

even for the sake of a challenge I just can't undercook chicken
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #21
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogbbq21 View Post
even for the sake of a challenge I just can't undercook chicken
I'm pretty sure I couldn't even come close to the charcoal black exterior with the totally undercooked interior chicken parts I was served as a child.

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:15 PM   #22
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by creek bottom View Post
I'm pretty sure I couldn't even come close to the charcoal black exterior with the totally undercooked interior chicken parts I was served as a child.
A former next door neighbor mastered this technique. His secret was having a basting brush in his left hand and tongs in the right hand. The instant a piece of chicken went on the grate, the left hand sauced it.... and the right hand reached for another piece of chicken. When all the chicken was on the grill, he turned and basted, repeating this non-stop for about 15 or 20 minutes and would then declare that it was done. When the wind was right, the burning sauce was the telltale signal he was cooking..... it smelled like a loose water pump belt was overheating.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:16 PM   #23
thirdeye

Okay, I have a plan..... which, by the way, includes one of my Grandma's secret ingredients

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #24
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Okay, I have a plan..... which, by the way, includes one of my Grandma's secret ingredients

Ohhhhh Yessss...
Old 02-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #25
LYU370

Hmmm... Have to travel for work again, but if I have time, I'll see if I can whip up an updated, AKA not over cooked version of a dinner staple from my childhood. Pork Chops. Although with the below zero temps, I'm thinking the Big Joe will probably still be frozen shut. Will have to try it on the gasser.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #26
LYU370

Ofer, you need to enter something! Yours's might be the only entry and a guaranteed win.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #27
thirdeye

First off..... this was a FUN Throwdown, and what a great idear, I kid you not (pun intended). Here is my entry photo for the Childhood BBQ Memory TD. The link to my cooks thread in Q-Talk is HERE.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #28
smoke ninja

Wink TD entry

the recent throwdown theme is recreating a childhood memory. when I think back on my youth and live fire cooking the first thing that comes to mine is steak on a charcoal grill.

my old man taught me a lot and on of those things was how to cook a steak. dad was a man's man. steaks meant either ribeye or porterhouse. I'll always remember his coffee can with both ends removed and holes poked in the bottom, the first semblance of a chimney starter I've seen.

these were simple times and pop was a simple man. Friday night after work he would stop at the meat counter of the local spartan grocery store and buy us some steaks. sides always came from the deli. he always picked up some city chicken as an app. (city chicken weirdly enough is pork)

sticking with the dad theme I decided to season my del l monico with some cavanders and lemon pepper. didn't have no fancy mail order rubs.

so with all this build up I bet your wondering what is dad's 7 minute steak method anyway? well it's to simple. you dump that coffee can of lit charcoal out and cook three and a half minutes on one side, flip and cook another 3.5 minutes to finish it off. I have modified it and added a quarter spin at 1:45 and 4:15

dad's technique for testing doneness was with a press of the finger. no rebound is not yet. slight spring back is money, total rebound means you should try a six minute steak

as a bachelor dad cut some corners. one was letting the dog clean the plates. while I never let bruno eat table scraps I couldn't resist given the situation

polling pic

Old 02-25-2021, 03:24 AM   #29
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

I really enjoyed reading this ^
Thanks ninja
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #30
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Glad to see some entries are starting to roll in - keep 'em coming!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote