***Welcome to the OFFICIAL Throwdown Lounge! Kick Back and Enjoy General Throwdown Banter, Ask Questions, Share Ideas & Suggestions!***

Well.... The Brethren are international. So, I'm thinking a "Pick A Region TD" might be fun. You select any regional BBQ style on the planet and emulate it with your entry. Maybe a one line description to explain how you interpret AussieQ or MemphisQ, LexingtonQ or BrazilianQ etc.

I think there were some TD's that had an Iron Chef kind of thing. You know, where everyone has to use 2 or 3 ingredients somewhere in their entry.

Well.... The Brethren are international. So, I'm thinking a "Pick A Region TD" might be fun. You select any regional BBQ style on the planet and emulate it with your entry. Maybe a one line description to explain how you interpret AussieQ or MemphisQ, LexingtonQ or BrazilianQ etc.

I think there were some TD's that had an Iron Chef kind of thing. You know, where everyone has to use 2 or 3 ingredients somewhere in their entry.

Well an Aussie BBQ TD would be a "Throw another shrimp on the Barbie TD" but they are really supposed to be called "Prawns". Shrimp would have to be a DQ!

:heh:

Disco Fries
Shell Fish
Fresh garden veggies are in season soon (all Veggie TD)
Mexican Street Corn
Store bought processed bologna chub
Pub Grub
Fish n chips
with all these places coming out with all these chicken sandwiches (BBQ Brethren Chicken Sandwich TD)
Chicken legs
Scotch eggs
Cheese (straight up cheese TD)
Cajun
Fried
Made in a cast iron

Disco Fries
Shell Fish
Fresh garden veggies are in season soon (all Veggie TD)
Mexican Street Corn
Store bought processed bologna chub
Pub Grub
Fish n chips
with all these places coming out with all these chicken sandwiches (BBQ Brethren Chicken Sandwich TD)
Chicken legs
Scotch eggs
Cheese (straight up cheese TD)
Cajun
Fried
Made in a cast iron

Shiz, thanks for chiming in! I'm pasting text I posted early in the thread so you can see the criteria we use for selecting monthly Throwdowns:

Because the SPECIAL Throwdowns lasts an entire month, the category should be fairly broad, and repeatable since we allow multiple entries on these.
Don't repeat a category we've already done in the last 12 months.
Look to past monthly special Throwdowns for ideas or variations on popular favorites.
Come up with something completely different!

What does everyone think about a Quick-Fire type of contest?

Ingredient(s) gets posted on Friday, voting the following Monday. You get the weekend to cook something up. If you don't have time to cook this weekend, oh well, there'll be another contest next weekend. No prizes, since the TD sponsors might balk at that many contests, just bragging rights.

Or, how about a sponsor TD. Since the TD sponsors have been so kind to give us free products. Let's have some TDs featuring their products and showcase them. Show us your favorite dish featuring Oakridge, or Naturiffic, or BPS products, etc. etc. At the same time, our sponsors can get some kick a$$ pics to post on their social media sites. Our way of saying thanks to the sponsors!

I like that idea, Andy. That certainly isn't the Malort talking.

What does everyone think about a Quick-Fire type of contest?

Ingredient(s) gets posted on Friday, voting the following Monday. You get the weekend to cook something up. If you don't have time to cook this weekend, oh well, there'll be another contest next weekend. No prizes, since the TD sponsors might balk at that many contests, just bragging rights.

My only concern for that would be the additional work required by Moose and Shagster. It's a lot of overhead and would need more dedicated support to run it. These blokes have lives too!:thumb:

So basically folks who have never won a Throwdown can enter, right?

Correct, be it new person or someone with 5+ entries and no wins.

In horse racing that's called a maiden race, at track near me you'll get first timers and old mules that have never won.

I see noob challenge won for June, it's similar in nature so would hold off a bit if others think it's worth it

We've done a number of cooker-centric throwdowns over the years, the most popular being the kettle cook-offs.

We have not, however, done a pellet cooker throwdown. Given how popular they've become, this seems like one to add to the mix. :thumb:

We've done a number of cooker-centric throwdowns over the years, the most popular being the kettle cook-offs.

We have not, however, done a pellet cooker throwdown. Given how popular they've become, this seems like one to add to the mix. :thumb:

I don't have a pellet grill, so boo :caked:

I don't have a pellet grill, so boo :caked:

I don't have a pellet pooper either but I think a pellet cooker TD is a great idea. Nor do I have a gasser, but I wouldn't mind seeing a gas grill TD. I'm okay with being excluded from some Throwdowns.

Heck. I don't always have time to cook for the TDs that I do want to enter.

I don't have a pellet pooper either but I think a pellet cooker TD is a great idea. Nor do I have a gasser, but I wouldn't mind seeing a gas grill TD. I'm okay with being excluded from some Throwdowns.

I was only kidding. In two years I've entered ~6 throwdowns. If my inclusion was necessary it would be a boring place ��.

Sarcasm doesn't always carry on message board. The new ideas help keep it fresh and i like seeing creativity and tools of trade from fellow users....

Last edited:

Good point, but does anyone even use gas grills here anymore? :confused:

:behindsofa:

Good point, but does anyone even use gas grills here anymore? :confused:

:behindsofa:
I'll have you know my replacement firebox is waiting to be installed. (Since last fall.) Only 37 easy steps to take it apart. And another 37 easy steps to put it back together again. Or was it 38? :confused:

Back