• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here :)

Spoke with MAK Grills again, and in addition to the Brethren Group Buy deal, they are also going to offer product (details to come) incentives if we hit 20, 25 and 35 units sold. The incentives given at each step will stack on top of the previous incentive. If we hit 35 cookers sold, let’s just say we are talking hundreds of $$’s in incentives to each new MAK owner :)

Last year we hit 29 sold. Would be awesome to see 35+ this year!

Do we know what the incentives are going to be yet? Or, will that come out on Monday?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaggh
Does anyone have precise measurements of this beast? If I could sell the DB and wedge it within my townhouse second story deck, that would be Great and I’d order one next week. I’d rather not wait til the new digs- my Mak-less Q deficit is getting too big.

If you want a MAK now and it’s too wide for you townhome deck, you could not attach the warmer/cold smoker box and trim 16-18 inches off the width. I saw either here or the MAK FB fan page where someone was talking about that. I don’t know if you need to block the side vents or not if you do that.

So I’m considering the 1 star to replace the gasser. Can someone give me an idea of searing food with grill grates is possible/recommended? I’m fighting in my head with using my bonus on this or to pay off a dogs surgery....the responsible thing is to pay off the surgery......

So as far as the responsible thing to do, I can’t help you there. As far as replacing a gasser, I turned mine on once in 20 months and that was to kill the bugs spiders making a home in it from not being used.

Oh...there have been plenty of pics for the sear capabilities, but here they are again from me. Others can repost if they want but they’re all over the forum and even in this post, I believe. No pics, but I just did 2 pizzas yesterday on it with corderite stones.

Last edited:
Oh...there have been plenty of pics for the sear capabilities, but here they are again from me. Others can repost if they want but they’re all over the forum and even in this post, I believe. No pics, but I just did 2 pizzas yesterday on it with corderite stones.

Good pics but can the MAK grills sear?:wink:

Dooooood...

Did you not see post #94?

#askinferafriend

To be honest I’m on my phone at home and didn’t scroll through the hundred posts. I went on the mak site and it seemed like they promoted the 2 star for searing over the 1 star. 2 star is out for the budget for sure.

To be honest I’m on my phone at home and didn’t scroll through the hundred posts. I went on the mak site and it seemed like they promoted the 2 star for searing over the 1 star. 2 star is out for the budget for sure.

Some of their one star details are dated. They have all the same key parts on both models now. Same controller, flame zone, etc. The should sear almost identically.

It is just days away...

MAK Grills has graciously agreed to do a 2nd annual run of what turned out to be a VERY popular event last year. As previously mentioned this is quite special, as MAK Grills rarely if ever discounts their grills/products. Simply put, they build a premium product and demand a premium price. If you are at all considering a MAK Grill you will not want to miss this opportunity. I have seen a fair number of you that are still kicking yourselves for not joining the MAK family last year. Don’t let this slip away if that’s you :)

This will take place 3/1-5

You can reach MAK Grills two ways this time:
1. Call Caleb direct at (503) 623-1234.
2. Email Caleb with any and all questions at calebc@makgrills.com with the subject line “BBQ Brethren Group Buy 2021”.

Spoke with Caleb earlier today, and he asked that we hold off on any calls/emails until this event starts. After the craziness of last years event, he has to mentally prepare himself... lol. I told him that I know the Brethren would respect that :)

Also, please know that there will be a 4-6 week lead time this year on all grill purchases. Caleb asked that I make sure y’all are aware of that.

As far as pricing, that will be between you and MAK Grills. It will be the same for everyone... that I know. I just know that last year it was something they requested we not publicize. I assume it’ll be no different this year.

Can’t wait!!!! :)

At this time we have 8 yes votes in the poll I posted. Is there a minimum number of purchases required to qualify for a discount? Thanks and thanks for putting this together!

At this time we have 8 yes votes in the poll I posted. Is there a minimum number of purchases required to qualify for a discount? Thanks and thanks for putting this together!

MAK Grills will honor the Brethren discount no matter the number sold. It’ll be the incentives that will be missed out on. I truly think more are gonna sell than you think or your poll shows :)

MAK Grills will honor the Brethren discount no matter the number sold. It’ll be the incentives that will be missed out on. I truly think more are gonna sell than you think or your poll shows :)

I think this is absolutely the case, and by several times. I know when the thread began last year, I didn't even open it, even after the sales actually began. Yeah, I'd entertained the thought of a pellet pooper before, but I had so many more priorities, and now was not the time, and blah, blah, blah. I knew nothing about MAKs. I didn't even really like the way they looked. I was thinking about a Yoder sometime in the distant future as a possibility. Somewhere around a few days before the sale was scheduled to end, I actually opened the thread, read a bit, ... clicked on their website and did a bit of reading for myself. It didn't help that Robb had posted a whole bunch of pics showing grilled food. I'd wanted something I could use as a grill that would be easy to get going as my gasser for when we didn't get to dinner until late ... Then I mentioned it to my wife sort of in passing that there was a sale on MAKs and she immediately said that I should purchase one. She was more sure of it than I was. I didn't even have to buy her a couch or anything. So, you can chalk me up as someone who wasn't even thinking about a purchase until the last day or two.

If you want a MAK now and it’s too wide for you townhome deck, you could not attach the warmer/cold smoker box and trim 16-18 inches off the width. I saw either here or the MAK FB fan page where someone was talking about that. I don’t know if you need to block the side vents or not if you do that.

Brilliant, Thank you! I’m going to have to look into this. I will call Caleb next week and see how practical this would be.

Brilliant, Thank you! I’m going to have to look into this. I will call Caleb next week and see how practical this would be.

That’s a great plan, then you know MAK will approve and if you need to block the right side vents, they might even have a good suggestion on how to do it.

Is the blank pan new? I never saw this before. Does it just go over the flamezone pan with the perforated holes?

Seems like it'll make my life much easier when cleaning.

It isn't new. It replaces the pan with perforated holes and is meant for people who cook low and slow primarily or exclusively. If you grill with any regularity, swapping out the pans and keeping two pans clean might be more inconvenient than just keeping the one pan and its covers clean.

...in the end, I blame Robb...

I was less than a year into my stick burner groove, loving the process and the good eats my LSG VO was cranking out. I’m a big fan of rwalters and the amazing cooks he shares. When the Breathren group buy details were being shared last year, and I started doing my own research, pellet-pooping got a lot more interesting. I shared many of the same smoke-profile questions that others have voiced. Long story short, I listened to Robb and other MAK’er’s feedback and experiences and ended up with a Two Star with an extra full grate, SS doors, SS front shelf, WiFi and a cover.

My MAK experience has been very positive. Pellet smoking is different, like charcoal, stick burning, gas etc. I like the smoke profile I’m getting from the MAK - it’s all a matter of personal taste, I guess. The WiFi function has been great; driving the cooker with my phone has been a growing convenience I originally thought of as a fun to have, but is now a full on utility. MAK’s build quality, fit and function is exceptional. And the final product coming off the cooker has elicited the same compliments from the folks I feed with a hearty “more, please”!

I’ve found I’m doing more cooks on the MAK just-in-time and on a whim, similar to thinking about turning on The Gasser. It’s relatively low maintenance and allows you to be up and running quickly. Getting inspired by other Breathren’s cooks and trying some out myself in the moment is a snap with my Two Star. And when I see rwalters’s cook posts, I figure I’d better be ready to do a freezer dive or hit the grocery store!

...so in the end, I blame Robb... and I can’t thank him enough! If you’re on the fence, do a search for his cook-posts and you’ll see the potential of adding a MAK to your cooker arsenal!

...in the end, I blame Robb...

I was less than a year into my stick burner groove, loving the process and the good eats my LSG VO was cranking out. I’m a big fan of rwalters and the amazing cooks he shares. When the Breathren group buy details were being shared last year, and I started doing my own research, pellet-pooping got a lot more interesting. I shared many of the same smoke-profile questions that others have voiced. Long story short, I listened to Robb and other MAK’er’s feedback and experiences and ended up with a Two Star with an extra full grate, SS doors, SS front shelf, WiFi and a cover.

My MAK experience has been very positive. Pellet smoking is different, like charcoal, stick burning, gas etc. I like the smoke profile I’m getting from the MAK - it’s all a matter of personal taste, I guess. The WiFi function has been great; driving the cooker with my phone has been a growing convenience I originally thought of as a fun to have, but is now a full on utility. MAK’s build quality, fit and function is exceptional. And the final product coming off the cooker has elicited the same compliments from the folks I feed with a hearty “more, please”!

I’ve found I’m doing more cooks on the MAK just-in-time and on a whim, similar to thinking about turning on The Gasser. It’s relatively low maintenance and allows you to be up and running quickly. Getting inspired by other Breathren’s cooks and trying some out myself in the moment is a snap with my Two Star. And when I see rwalters’s cook posts, I figure I’d better be ready to do a freezer dive or hit the grocery store!

...so in the end, I blame Robb... and I can’t thank him enough! If you’re on the fence, do a search for his cook-posts and you’ll see the potential of adding a MAK to your cooker arsenal!

Not sure what to say other than thank you kind sir :)

I am just one of the Brethren, and like most of us have a strong desire to cook the best I know how for friends and family. I absolutely love how we all feed off of each other in the sense that we drive each other to learn and continually do better with each and every cook.

This is indeed a very special place!

I contacted Caleb several weeks ago about removing the side box and he said you could not do it because it would affect the grill and smoke performance.

Back