Ox Tails

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A good weekend for ox tails.

UaZXFGah.jpg

I rubbed them with SuckeBuster's Campfire seasoning and they went on the pit 250 with a mix of apple and mesquite for smoke. I gave them around 2 and half hours to get some color.

nTbAXEah.jpg

I panned them with rich beef broth, covered tightly, ran the pit to 275 and let them braise for about 3 hours.

hZqe610h.jpg

I put the pan juices in a fat separator, skimmed the fat, and saved that for the gravy.

rYsB5Uih.jpg

Served over garlic parmesan rice.

Food coma followed shortly thereafter.......:-D

yg6gPgwh.jpg

Oh man, those look good. One of my favorite foods. The Cuban and Spanish restaurants here make a great one too. I'll have to try it myself even if the better half does not like them.

Great job. Oxtails don't get enough attention. The only addition I would make is to include some red wine with the beef stock. My gout is flaring up just thinking about it.

Thanks!

Red wine sounds like a great addition to the stock. I'll cook these again and will do it, with the additional of some smashed garlic cloves.

Thanks! :-D

Last edited:
I love ox tails, but have never made them myself. I've only had them at a Basque restaurant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Those look rich and tasty. And that wonderful gravy/sauce qualifies as a 'All Sauced Up!" TD entry. :clap2:

One of these days I want to cook ox-tails and beef cheeks at the same time and have a nose-to-tail kind of thing....

That looks excellent, John.

One of these days I'll get off my own lazy tail and try some of those.

Back