MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Default Weber smokefire gen 2

Has anyone bought a gen 2 Weber smokefire lately? I am considering selling my current pellet smoker and getting a smokefire. I was curious if they have fixed any of the numerous problems with the 1st ones. I don't care how it grills food, I am only concerned about how it smokes. Thanks

Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

From what I've read, they still have multiple controller & app issues not resolved.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

I think there may be better options if you are looking for strictly smoking purposes. Their big claim to fame is supposed to be how well it grills on top of being able to use it as a smoker.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
ttkt57
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill Bryant

What pellet cooker are you selling? What's you budget for your next pellet cooker?

Old 04-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
DarkStar11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I bought the little Gen 2 SmokeFire in December, with notions of it replacing my gasser, MB 560, and Rec Tec.

On the positive side, it produces good smoke up through about 300 or so, unlike a lot of pellet grills. And I think it produces a stronger smoke flavor. I haven't experienced any grease fires but I put an aluminum drip pan under really fatty stuff.

On the other hand, the pellet hopper needs semi-frequent attention because a void tends to form in the pellets above the auger. Removing the finger guard didn't help. It also prefers pulling pellets from the left side, and will completely empty it out, starving itself of fuel while there are a bunch of pellets sitting on the right. I've tried Weber, B&B, Lumberjack, Bear Mountain, and Pit Boss pellets and these issues occur with all of them, both while doing low and slow or hot & fast. It seems to chew through pellets more quickly than the Rec Tec, though I haven't done a thorough test. The little, narrow pellet hopper in the back is a PITA to fill, and the lid gets the full effect of the exhaust (not a big deal, just extra cleaning). There may be fixes for these issues but I haven't taken the time to join Facebook or search the web for answers.

Beyond the pellet handling, I've experienced some pretty big temp swings on the backend of long, slow cooks. The last 2 times it was dropping down to 130 and up to 360, starting about 6 hours in. It eventually settled down to bouncing between 200 and 330. Grill temp was set at 225 first time and 275 the 2nd time. The software updated to the latest version just prior to my last low-slow cook on it (last Wednesday), and this issue still occurred. I plan on calling Weber when I have a chance, and submitted a ticket online over the weekend. I don't care for the app, but I'm not really an app kind of guy.

I like the SmokeFire a lot for grilling and baking, but I don't have any trust in it on low and slow cooks. The old, reliable Rec Tec isn't in danger of losing its spot on the back porch.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkt57 View Post
What pellet cooker are you selling? What's you budget for your next pellet cooker?
I am selling a YS640. I bought it for my brother when I initially bought it and it didn't work out to get it to him, so I kept it. I didn't really need it when I bought it, but I didn't want to pass on it either. Now one of my buddies wants to buy it and I like trying new smokers. My biggest problem with all the pellet smokers I have tried is the radiant heat from the grease tray. That's why I have been interested in the smokefire since it came out.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

I returned my Gen 2 in February. My username describes the app and firmware of the SmokeFire. Someday, it will probably be a great grill, but unless major improvements were made to firmware since Feb, you can expect somewhat if not regularly moody behavior.

Depending on capacity needs, you can get a pellet grill with a large upper shelf and use a water pan on main grate to cut radiant heat. The SmokeFire was actually worse than most others for that overcooking the bottom side of things a bit letting more heat come straight through. I used drip pans a lot to avoid this and potential fires. The challenge is you have a hot fire closer to the food than most other types of grills. MAK and the Camp Chef Woodwind/Slide N Grill models are the first to to come to mind with large upper shelf capacities.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I am selling a YS640. I bought it for my brother when I initially bought it and it didn't work out to get it to him, so I kept it. I didn't really need it when I bought it, but I didn't want to pass on it either. Now one of my buddies wants to buy it and I like trying new smokers. My biggest problem with all the pellet smokers I have tried is the radiant heat from the grease tray. That's why I have been interested in the smokefire since it came out.
The Smokefire is a huge step down from a Yoder. If you don’t have the WiFi version YS640s, I’d stronger recommend getting the new controller as it adds top of the line Fireboard controller to the Yoder. Or add some other accessories like grill grates or something if you don’t have it already. Cook in tray with a slightly raised rack to avoid the radiant heat.

Yoder is head and shoulders above the Smokefire. If I was bound and determined to move on from the Yoder, it would be for one of the following: Cookshack, Mak or Pitts and Spitts, with a small possibility of a Smoking Brothers, Outlaw or maybe the new Lonestar model once it comes out.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24

Last edited by Chester; 04-19-2021 at 07:44 PM..
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
ttkt57
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill Bryant

Quote:
My biggest problem with all the pellet smokers I have tried is the radiant heat from the grease tray.
I chose my Outlaw OL450 over a Yoder partly because it adds a thick layer of steel between the fire and the grease tray. You can see it in these pics I took of the fire through the ash clean out door. You can also see how the OL450 has a place for a water pan below the grease tray. Very handy. As is the easy ash clean out.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #10
4ever3

Now that I know what you’ve got and what your after?

Buy a MAK and be done...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
PatAttack

Yes, a hard pass on the continuing "Dumpsterfire" saga from Weber.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #12
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Now that I know what you’ve got and what your after?

Buy a MAK and be done...
Does it scorch the bottom of the meat?

Old 04-19-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
4ever3

Quote:
Does it scorch the bottom of the meat?
When doing what?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #14
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
When doing what?
Doing long smokes like a brisket. My Yoder will also scorch the bottom of ribs after only 2 hours of cooking.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #15
4ever3

At what temp?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)