MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

Default Exploding Big Green Egg firebox

I'm looking for some advice from fellow eggheads here. After a few "nuclear" steak grilling events, where the dome temp hit around 700F, I noticed a couple of cracks in the firebox insert in my XL BGE. Friday night, I fired it up to grill some chicken breasts, and I noticed that I could see lots of hot coals sitting in the air inlet at the bottom of the egg. Upon further investigation, I found that the firebox had decided to "relax" a bit, breaking into four pieces:

Kind of a bummer. Since I bought this used, I don't have the option of requesting a free replacement from the Egg people. So I'm wondering if anybody has an idea of how to repair this. (I'm thinking about some stainless wire, looped through the holes in the pieces, since each piece has a hole.) Or, am I better off just ordering a new one? Any thoughts one whether I can do better on this replacement part than I can get from my local authorized BGE dealer?

Thanks in advance for ideas.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check the dealer for cost. The wire should work. There are a few guys on the egg forum that have done it. Then I'd buy a new firebox when it wouldn't stress my budget. But I wouldn't use it until I had to.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
CMALANGA
On the road to being a farker

I would still try to get a replacement from BGE. They really believe in the product and are serious about keeping custoimers happy. You could probably bond less aerious cracks, but I would call customer support in Georgia for this one.
CMALANGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

If you wire this back together, will hot ash and embers fall through and cause a deck fire?
Call the egg people and find out what a replacment will cost, better safe than sorry. Also find out what the causes are for this, might help you avoid it in the future.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
If you wire this back together, will hot ash and embers fall through and cause a deck fire?
Call the egg people and find out what a replacment will cost, better safe than sorry. Also find out what the causes are for this, might help you avoid it in the future.
No fire hazaed there. The firebox sits inside the egg so if any embers fell through they would sit inside the egg safely until they burned out.
Call BGE and ask if they will send you a new one. If not no big deal on buying a new one. Cheaper than buying a new egg. All partof the risk of buying used but let us know on the answer from BGE's service department.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
tjv
Full Fledged Farker

that looks like an old firebox. New fireboxes have little ledges around the box that support the grate so the grate doesn't wedge into the firebox. On old fireboxes the grate under its own weight would wedge tight and expand when heated, then.......bang goes the firebox. new xl firebox will be around $150.....T
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

my medium's firebox has been cracked for some time now, but it's not broken into different pieces yet. from what i've seen, the cracks usually start at the hobbit hole in the front and go thru an air hole to the top, but yours looks like the grate expanded and broke the firebox like tvj said. i think i'd just try to wire yours together or even make some rings around the out side to hold it together and keep cooking.

i got a new medium firebox from the mothership, but it's still in the box, since the original one is still performing well. all fireboxes will eventually crack.

Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

My XL fire box cracked just like that. I got a masonry bit and drilled holes on each side of the crack in about an inch and a half. Then I wired it with stainless wire. I would have to tighten the wire once in a great while but other than that it was no big deal. I wouldn't bother buying a new one.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
thirdeye

A lot of folks continue to cook with cracked fireboxes in the larg Eggs, usually the pieces will fit back together. I have seen several fixes over the years exactly as mentioned above with holes drilled across from each other following the break. I thought some used a large diameter softer wire rather than stainless.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Double Bogey
Found some matches.

My large has been in multiple pieces for the past year or so. I stopped by my dealer and told him about it and he gave me a replacement from one in his showroom. Still have in in my shop waiting for the cracked one to fully give up the ghost.
Larrhy
Double Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
swamprb

Mine is cracked and so is the pot, non nuclear proliferation treaty declared on my deck!

Eggfest is coming to the PNW in September.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
Nitrofly
is one Smokin' Farker

Question to be an egghead or not be an egghead

and I need an Egg why
haven't cracked a WSM yet..
I did crack a pizza stone sunday
I do have a bent WSM looks at the
world a lot like me twisted but still
works fine

But i still want an Egg just because
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
2 WSM more of a good thing
Brinkman offset
Backwoods competitor
Weber Performer
22' weber kettle w/rottiserie
17" table top weber kettle & weber smokey joe.
Nitrofly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #13
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofly View Post
and I need an Egg why
haven't cracked a WSM yet..
I did crack a pizza stone sunday
I do have a bent WSM looks at the
world a lot like me twisted but still
works fine

But i still want an Egg just because
what brand of pizza stone cracked?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Send the pics to BGE HQ and they'll send you a new one free - you may have to pay shipping, but maybe not.

I went to their hq while on a business trip, and mentioned my cracked firebox. The guy said, "Hang on," and went and got me a brand new one. Free. The new free one is still sitting in my garage 6mos later. I've been cooking with the cracked firebox for over a year with no problems.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6Cop View Post
Send the pics to BGE HQ and they'll send you a new one free - you may have to pay shipping, but maybe not.

I went to their hq while on a business trip, and mentioned my cracked firebox. The guy said, "Hang on," and went and got me a brand new one. Free. The new free one is still sitting in my garage 6mos later. I've been cooking with the cracked firebox for over a year with no problems.
i thought he said he didn't buy the egg new. the warranty is not transferable. you can try to epoxy it back together with jb weld, but i'd leave one of the cracks there for expansion relief.