Suggested bbq controller/thermometer?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What’s everyone suggest for a controller/thermometer that is currently on the market? Would like to pick one up for the gravity pit.

I have the Thermoworks Smoke & never really liked it so I picked up the Fireboard 2 with drive. I don’t have the drive cable or fan but may buy it for my kettle. Fireboard is leaps & bounds better than my Smoke, haven’t used the Smoke in years thanks to the Fireboard.

I have the Thermoworks Smoke & never really liked it so I picked up the Fireboard 2 with drive. I don’t have the drive cable or fan but may buy it for my kettle. Fireboard is leaps & bounds better than my Smoke, haven’t used the Smoke in years thanks to the Fireboard.

LOL, funny. I was going to say I really like my Smoke X2 and Billows combo. I feel like the Billows is fairly new. But I've only gotten 4 or 5 cooks under my belt with it. A friend has it and has some troubles with it, but he hasn't tried the optional inlet baffle piece, which I use. I do think I go through more fuel, though I'm not sure why.

In any event, I can't unrecommend the Flame Boss enough. Complete garbage product. I went through a set of probes, which they replaced, and those went bad too. And then they told me it was too late, it'd been too long.

I probably had 10 or 12 cooks with it, maybe one successful.

I have the Thermoworks Smoke & never really liked it

Huh. I’m not using mine with a controller, but I like mine.

Maybe that’s because my previous one was a Maverick, with its weird UI - “Quickly press ‘Set’ with your right hand, while standing on one foot…”

My only complaint is that it occasionally gets stupid and stops talking to the remote.

Besides, Thermoworks sent me a new “kickstand” for mine for no charge after I broke it. (My fault)

Fireboard2 Drive + BBQ Guru Pit Viper is what I'm using on my Limo Jr. Works great. The Fireboard interface/app is the best I've seen.

Fireboard2 Drive + BBQ Guru Pit Viper is what I'm using on my Limo Jr. Works great. The Fireboard interface/app is the best I've seen.

I plan on using a Cyber Q with Bulldog fan to run my Jr. when it gets here. I'll just use it to run the pit though, I really like my Maverick XR 50 to monitor meat temp, because I like the little tabletop remote over looking at the CyberQ on my phone.

I'm using the FB2Drive with my Primo XL and MB560 and it works fantastic. I was using a CyberQ, but the FB2D gives way better temp control and a nice app that's easy, even for a cyber dummy like me. Lots of user control as well, so it's hard to go wrong. I also got some great tips on the Facebook page.

I had a FB2Drive and a FB 20 cfm blower ready to go for my OCGS. Unfortunately, I never got to actually use it on that unit. Still waiting on the Limo Jr but I know it is going to be a whole lot of air for that chamber. I did a bunch of research and the FB2 just seemed like the best thought out and most up to date of the contolers. I couldn't find anything it's competition could do that it couldn't. You do need a 1" to 1.5" bushing for the OCGS IIRC.

Last edited:
I have the Digi Q Pit Bull from for my Meadowcreek BX 50, and I am really impressed with it. I will get another for my WSM 22.
Holds temp almost perfectly and has a system for phone control / info on cook. Not super expensive.

Smoke X4 for me...really like it. Great range. Didn't want one using the cell phone. No need for a fan with the Shirley.

I love my fireboard II. By far the best unit out of the dozen or so that I’ve owned in the past.

Did you have to get any kind of adaptor or anything to run a Guru fan with the Fireboard? I have a Cyber Q, but am looking at the Fireboard 2 drive just because I wouldn't have to plug it in. I already have a bulldog fan, and I hate to buy another fan just to switch controllers. If I can just plug the guru fan in, I might be in the market.

Did you have to get any kind of adaptor or anything to run a Guru fan with the Fireboard? I have a Cyber Q, but am looking at the Fireboard 2 drive just because I wouldn't have to plug it in. I already have a bulldog fan, and I hate to buy another fan just to switch controllers. If I can just plug the guru fan in, I might be in the market.

You have to buy the drive cable to run any fan, depending on your fan connector you might be able to run the fan you already have. Go to the Fire board site & look at the drive cable, see if the end is similar to yours.

You have to buy the drive cable to run any fan, depending on your fan connector you might be able to run the fan you already have. Go to the Fire board site & look at the drive cable, see if the end is similar to yours.

Yes, I realize you have to have a cable. Since he is running a Pit Viper and I have a Bulldog, both by BBQ Guru, I figure the ends are the same, so if it would run one it would run the other. Just wondered if he had to get an adapter for the plug.

Gotcha, that makes sense, hopefully they're the same. If not you could probably swap out the barrel end if you're handy with a soldering iron.

I just picked up the FB2D based on everyones reviews on this forum...I was a former cyberQ user for so long but the interface was horrible, great once it was figured out though but took a while! FB2D is supposed to be amazing....I look forward to using it here once my smoker arrives.

I also am going to run the pit bull fan for mine, hooks up perfect to the FB2D...thankfully, love how stuff is cross compatible!

Back