MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #1651
bradymartin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
I don't think they do a black Friday sale. Actually the only discount I've ever heard of was when they were relatively new and you could get a $100 off code from Kingsford. But that's been a few years since that happened. I'd just go ahead and order one.

There's no need to do a burn out. I think they clean them first or something because the company says they are ready to cook out of the box. And cook straight outta the box I did! Just do your practice turkey without a burnout.
im doing my cart now. i added the hinged grate since i will be cooking with half the recommended coals like you showed in your post. while meat hangs i can put stuff on other side of the grate at the same time. i like the hinged grate idea.

i also added the ash catcher. not ordering turkey hangers dont need them as ive seen on their videos.

do i really need their gloves? i figure i can just wrap my hands and arms with a towel or shirt or something.

i am not trying to be cheap but with accessories this is starting to add up for what looks like total cost of parts for them may be no more than $100 but they did their research and designed this cooker. all reviews i read people love this thing
ease of cleaning, easy temp control and i can use blue kingsford which is very cheap when on sale.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #1652
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjonz View Post
Sako did you cook your turkey like Balistic BBQ did ....with all that butter?

Nope ! Just rubbed it down. That's all. Cant remember with what but it was just rub.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #1653
bradymartin
Banned

ordered

Last edited by bradymartin; 11-12-2015 at 12:55 AM..
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #1654
defib
On the road to being a farker

So I have been on the fence for awhile about buying one. Well no more. Ordered with the holiday pack and the flip grill.

Go big or go home!
defib is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #1655
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
ordered

Congrats!! You'll love it.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 11-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #1656
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by defib View Post
So I have been on the fence for awhile about buying one. Well no more. Ordered with the holiday pack and the flip grill.

Go big or go home!
Congrats!!

As I said above.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #1657
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
im doing my cart now. i added the hinged grate since i will be cooking with half the recommended coals like you showed in your post. while meat hangs i can put stuff on other side of the grate at the same time. i like the hinged grate idea.

i also added the ash catcher. not ordering turkey hangers dont need them as ive seen on their videos.

do i really need their gloves? i figure i can just wrap my hands and arms with a towel or shirt or something.

i am not trying to be cheap but with accessories this is starting to add up for what looks like total cost of parts for them may be no more than $100 but they did their research and designed this cooker. all reviews i read people love this thing
ease of cleaning, easy temp control and i can use blue kingsford which is very cheap when on sale.
Alright! You will NOT regret your purchase.

If you will be pulling the coal basket out while hot (which is what I do) then you definitely need gloves. I use leather grill gloves and still feel the heat through them. If you'll only be handling it cool the just use a towel or some food prep gloves!

Looking forward to seeing your PBC cooks!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #1658
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by defib View Post

Go big or go home!
Awesome! Cool that's 2 in one day. PBC Club is growing!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #1659
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

so i bought 2 crow bars with hooks on the end and now i can easily lower and lift out a screamin hot charcoal basket without the threat of getting burned! total $10 purchase! has anyone tried out the turkey hanger?? do you think its really necessary or will the hooks work just fine?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #1660
jjjonz
Take a breath!

You guys pulling the trigger on the PBC will be happy happy I promise !!!!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #1661
skwerlee
Knows what a fatty is.

I ordered the new PBC turkey hanger accessory and FedEx should be dropping it off tomorrow! Since this is my first turkey I'm smoking a 12-ish pound one this weekend to make sure everything goes off without a hitch on Thanksgiving Day. I plan to treat it similar to to how i do whole chickens. I'm going to rub with olive oil and hit it with some Adkins Southwest BBQ dry rub. Then I'm going to inject the breasts with some Tony Chachere's Creole Butter Marinade. I may throw some fresh aromatics and an onion in the cavity...not sure on that part yet. I'm open to suggestions.
skwerlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #1662
Roguejim
is One Chatty Farker

How many cooking hours can you get out of a single load of coals in the PBC? Enough hours for a 14-lb packer brisket?
Roguejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #1663
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguejim View Post
How many cooking hours can you get out of a single load of coals in the PBC? Enough hours for a 14-lb packer brisket?
Easily enough! You'll get 8.5-10 hours from a full load. But you'll notice that food cooks a little faster than other cookers for some reason (yes even at the same temps). Also if you are not monitoring the temperature of the PBC it'll run somewhere between 265-325° based on the vent cap setting in the instructions. I monitor temps, so set it up to run at a 275° target temp. At my vent cap setting and my lighting procedure I will consistently run between 265-285°.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #1664
Retry
Found some matches.

Not really new to the site but never posted here before. I've been using my 22.5" Smoke E-Z with my BBQ Guru for several years with the provided hanging rack to cook all kinds of things much like the PBC which I discovered on this site. Since my setup mimics the PBC, it's been interesting reading all the accolades posted here and viewing the extensive YouTube videos. I've actually learned a lot. I realized a long time ago that hanging meat over the coals was the way to go, but the PBC has taken it to a whole new level. I thought I would post today because searching for any new videos on the PBC, I ran across this link: www.barrelhousecooker.com. Just wondered if anyone else has seen it. Seems to have just been introduced today.
Retry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #1665
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retry View Post
Not really new to the site but never posted here before. I've been using my 22.5" Smoke E-Z with my BBQ Guru for several years with the provided hanging rack to cook all kinds of things much like the PBC which I discovered on this site. Since my setup mimics the PBC, it's been interesting reading all the accolades posted here and viewing the extensive YouTube videos. I've actually learned a lot. I realized a long time ago that hanging meat over the coals was the way to go, but the PBC has taken it to a whole new level. I thought I would post today because searching for any new videos on the PBC, I ran across this link: www.barrelhousecooker.com. Just wondered if anyone else has seen it. Seems to have just been introduced today.
Glad you are enjoying the thread. There's lots of good info for PBC owners as well as folks with setups like yours!

That's the first I've seen of the barrel house cooker. It looks smaller in diameter than the PBC. Maybe a little taller though. Some people may like it as it has a thermometer and the bottom vent looks like it's adjustable but I doubt very seriously it cooks as good as the PBC. Plus it's $100 more. I won't be buying one that's for sure.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it