MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Assuming you have the right cure percentages, you are safe to pull them at 155 Internal Temp. Have you checked the accuracy of your smoker temp? That seems like a little long to me, at those temps. But I usually steam to finish, so I really can't remember how long it takes.
Well I'm sitting here researching the living crap at exact time it takes to cook summer sausages. Each direction goes to each step saying "130 for 1 hour 140 for 3 hours blah blah blah" But when it gets to 160-170 the directions are "cook until IT reaches 152" or the IT varies.

I'm counting the fact there are 20lbs of sausages in there.. is the main factor.. plus it being below 30 outside... I'm pushing through tho.. IT just raised to 146... Just has to be right.... And so far everything I've cooked even a last batch of snack sticks.. the MES40 is pretty accurate... probably a 10 degree difference give or take..

Also wanna add I only added 3 hours of smoke.. I've been cooking without smoke for a while now.. I used Insta-Cure #1 with their recommended 1tsp/5 lb....It's getting to the point where I'm going out to check the right side of the smoker because those sausages are at a higher temp... If they are between 155-160 I might just pull them

The way I see it is... It has a cure, its suppose to withstand the long low temp cooking. as long as the sausage temp keeps rising.. I bet its doing just fine.

Last edited by blazinfire; 12-09-2017 at 12:28 AM..
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #17
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Got a recipe?
I hold my cooked sausages at the internal recommended for an hour, then dump in iced water

Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #18
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
Got a recipe?
I hold my cooked sausages at the internal recommended for an hour, then dump in iced water
It's just the recipe from The Sausage Maker. This is the summer sausage
https://www.sausagemaker.com/summer-...-p/12-1012.htm

Directions read for 10lb batches. I did two 10lb batches.

Calls for 8oz (weight) of seasoning
2tsp of Insta-cure #1
and I mixed 1 1/2 cup of water to help distribute the seasoning evenly.

This is the snack stick seasoning.
https://www.sausagemaker.com/dried-s...-p/12-1023.htm

I only did 10lbs of the snack stick seasoning. I did the other 10lbs with Hi-Mountain Hunter's Blend.. So far I'm having really mixed reaction to The Sausage Maker's snack stick seasoning....

First impressions by smell.. The whole container the seasoning seems to have a minty/tarty kinda smell. Just totally different than what I'm use too. I fried a piece up before stuffing it.. I had a better impression on the actual flavor by taste..

But it still had a different flavor than what I'm use to. So I decided to do the two batches in different flavors just in case I didn't like the outcome of the sausage maker's snack stick seasoning. I'm sure the seasoning is fine, The missus liked what I fried.. So maybe it just my opinion on it.. By the way the summer sausage seasoning passed with flying colors. The missus said it would be a great hamburger seasoning... Kinda have to agree lol

Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #19
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Here's some signs of greatness!! Two are down.. With many different opinions on pulling temp.. I pulled the large one at 161, and the small one at 156 IT. Going to mark these down and try to remember if there was much difference between the two.. They both got an ice bath.

Stay Tuned. More to come tomorrow on the snack sticks in progress!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 AM   #20
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Lookin good Blazin.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 AM   #21
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

4:49 took all sausages out of the smoker.. the Jalapeno and cheese stuffed ones which were on the left furthest from the element was sitting at 150.. so I turned the oven to 180 and cracked the door to finish...

As I'm typing this.. the missus is chowing down.. I cut a few slices from the ones I pulled earlier. Looks like summer sausage to me!!

Also I wanna add.. Everything else was above 155.... The directions on the summer sausage package says 152... So I went with 155 or above I was putting in an ice bath.

The outside of the Sausage right under the casing has a nice "Skin" like layer looks like they set pretty nicely.

Last edited by blazinfire; 12-09-2017 at 04:32 AM..
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 05:55 AM   #22
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Very interesting (and great lookin') thread here. Have never made sausages but have eaten a whole buncha them.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #23
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Looks like they turned out pretty good. What are your opinions on finish temp?
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #24
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Looks like they turned out pretty good. What are your opinions on finish temp?
We sliced the one that was pulled at 156.... and the sausage its self seemed great. I have no clue how any other sausage turned out. I'm not sure if I Should just brave it and open another one just to check for fat out before I start serving people? From that point on though I pulled everything that was above 155...

Well it took a total of 16 hours to do the 20lbs of summer sausage. Getting ready to start my day with the snack sticks.. I had to take a nap.. I'm running behind.. Doesn't matter tho if it takes all night.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #25
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Nice work Brother - Looks great!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #26
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

That looks really interesting. My son and I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE summer sausage, but somehow most store-bought ones seem to be lacking. I'll bet the homemade version is far superior. I never thought about tryin to make my own.

The meat you diced up and ground -- were those briskets? Any other cuts of meat? Do you actually try to measure the fat %, or do you just trim the meat like you like it and grind as is?

Sorry for the questions, but I might have to give it a try.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #27
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
That looks really interesting. My son and I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE summer sausage, but somehow most store-bought ones seem to be lacking. I'll bet the homemade version is far superior. I never thought about tryin to make my own.

The meat you diced up and ground -- were those briskets? Any other cuts of meat? Do you actually try to measure the fat %, or do you just trim the meat like you like it and grind as is?

Sorry for the questions, but I might have to give it a try.
If you love summer sausage this is soooo much better.. I just passed around a few pieces of the one I cut open.. and its a smash hit. I make the process seem a little harder because I like to have every little detail figured out and know what I'm doing but its really a simple process.... Very time consuming.

The meat I cut up for this project is what my store calls an English Roast... I think it comes from around the same area the chuck roast does. Very similar cuts of meat.. I just bought a whole slab instead of individual roasts.

As far as measuring the fat content.. I just winged it.. I probably could of trimmed off a little more fat for the summer sausages (doesn't matter they turned out great).. Personally I just looked for well marbled ground meat. Wasn't going for exact 80/20 mix or anything.. The local store did give me 6lbs of pork fat for free just never needed it.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #28
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Well, from lookin at the cut end of the summer sausage in those pics you posted it looks friggin awesome.

For summer sausage, do you grind for a particular consistency? In other words, to make it "summer sausage," do you try to achieve a certain fineness or smoothness, versus chunkiness? I'm contrasting it against good Central Texas beef sausage, which usually has a degree of chunkiness.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #29
WrightonQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Well done!!! Looks really good!!!
BGE Large
Weber Kettle
UDS
WrightonQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #30
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
Well, from lookin at the cut end of the summer sausage in those pics you posted it looks friggin awesome.

For summer sausage, do you grind for a particular consistency? In other words, to make it "summer sausage," do you try to achieve a certain fineness or smoothness, versus chunkiness? I'm contrasting it against good Central Texas beef sausage, which usually has a degree of chunkiness.
Um I think in most cases...during my research and those who I've talked to about the process... (This is the first time making summer sausages for me). It varies depending on the person.. I've seen some only grind once with a course grinding plate... Some people will grind twice.. Grind the first time with the course grinding plate. Then they will season the meat and grind again on medium size grinding plate.

I ground twice..... With the summer sausage batch though. Not sure if I had to much fat, but my medium plate kept getting clogged.. It annoyed me so I ground the summer sausage meat twice with the course grinder