MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #2356
kpjbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Keith
Default LSG Insulated Vertical Smoker on order... question on handle and tie down points

Just wanted to express my thanks to everyone on this forum. I've killed hours here reading and researching. Didn't quite have the budget when I started looking a few years back for a ISV smoker and have been working on my drum smoker skills.

After much research, and final approval from the Mrs last week... I ordered a large LSG insulated vertical smoker today!!!! Build time aprox. 8 weeks. My mouth is already watering!

Options:
- extra rails (x3)
- extra rack (x1)
- 8" wheels
- Flame boss
- Heat diverter plate

The only thing I'm second guessing is the need for tie down hooks and handle. My thought was that if I move it, it's going to be heavily ratcheted anyway and probably two people to move it. Any thoughts and guidance on this is appreciated. I don't plan any competition BBQ or much moving of the smoker this summer/fall, but *if* time is avail, and once I get it dialed in, then perhaps in year 2....

Anyone with experience trying to move the smoker w/o the handle and w/o tie down points welded on?

Any advice is appreciated. I've been told I can add these items to my order as long as I get it modified before they get into the build process too far.

Cheers!
kpjbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #2357
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjbbq View Post
Just wanted to express my thanks to everyone on this forum. I've killed hours here reading and researching. Didn't quite have the budget when I started looking a few years back for a ISV smoker and have been working on my drum smoker skills.

After much research, and final approval from the Mrs last week... I ordered a large LSG insulated vertical smoker today!!!! Build time aprox. 8 weeks. My mouth is already watering!

Options:
- extra rails (x3)
- extra rack (x1)
- 8" wheels
- Flame boss
- Heat diverter plate

The only thing I'm second guessing is the need for tie down hooks and handle. My thought was that if I move it, it's going to be heavily ratcheted anyway and probably two people to move it. Any thoughts and guidance on this is appreciated. I don't plan any competition BBQ or much moving of the smoker this summer/fall, but *if* time is avail, and once I get it dialed in, then perhaps in year 2....

Anyone with experience trying to move the smoker w/o the handle and w/o tie down points welded on?

Any advice is appreciated. I've been told I can add these items to my order as long as I get it modified before they get into the build process too far.

Cheers!
Get the handle. It will be really hard to move without it.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #2358
kpjbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Keith

Any thoughts about two handles? One on each side?
kpjbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #2359
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

I have a mini that I ordered with a handle on each side. Each time I use the cooker I
am VERY glad that it has 2 handles. At the very least, get one handle.
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #2360
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

All my cabinet cookers have handles. Anytime I move them I'm glad I have handles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #2361
Logg7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

��27hrs straight at 250 degrees no refueling
Briskets
Chicken
Pork ribs

This Bad Boy is a Monster ��
Logg7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #2362
FrozenTundra
Knows what a fatty is.

I came to the Brethren to see what the word was on the GURU Shotgun and wound up reading this whole thread. and spending 3x as much ;)

I ordered it today!
Large Insulated Cabinet Smoker
Competition Smoker Cart
4 Extra Rails
4 Extra Grates
Removable Heat Deflector
Adjustable "T" Plates
Fireboard Fan Control Cable
Bulkhead Fan Adapter
Extra 2” Ball Valve
Ash Rake with cool touch handle
High Heat Black Touch Up Paint
3 Sausage Hangers

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #2363
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
I came to the Brethren to see what the word was on the GURU Shotgun and wound up reading this whole thread. and spending 3x as much ;)

I ordered it today!
Large Insulated Cabinet Smoker
Competition Smoker Cart
4 Extra Rails
4 Extra Grates
Removable Heat Deflector
Adjustable "T" Plates
Fireboard Fan Control Cable
Bulkhead Fan Adapter
Extra 2” Ball Valve
Ash Rake with cool touch handle
High Heat Black Touch Up Paint
3 Sausage Hangers
They do make 2 smaller sizes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #2364
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Yeah, this thread will suck you in, but it's a good place to be...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 AM   #2365
cfi1234
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Smokin' Chemtrails

Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for taking the time to share their experiences. I have decided to go with the LSG Vertical and that choice was made easy with your help. Now just to get the money together...lol...keeps the posts coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #2366
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjbbq View Post

Options:
- extra rails (x3)
- extra rack (x1)
- 8" wheels
- Flame boss
- Heat diverter plate

Cheers!
Seems odd to me that a handle and tie downs are optional, especially on a cooker that size? To me it's like buying a car without a steering wheel. I guess if you want to move it, it cost extra?

Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #2367
Logg7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Has anyone ever had their firebox door pop open during their cook?
I was about 7 hours into a smoke, checked my temps
On my phone, pit temp was 320 degrees...
When I tried to close it, it kept popping open.
Finally it latched
Gonna see if latch needs an adjustment

Anyone else have anything like this happen?
Logg7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #2368
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logg7 View Post
Has anyone ever had their firebox door pop open during their cook?
I was about 7 hours into a smoke, checked my temps
On my phone, pit temp was 320 degrees...
When I tried to close it, it kept popping open.
Finally it latched
Gonna see if latch needs an adjustment

Anyone else have anything like this happen?

The latch may be out of adjustment or the bracket on the smoker that catches the door as its closed may be broken or worn out. We recommend keeping the door locked with the keys provided during the cook so that even if the latch is out of adjustment or the catch bracket is anything but completely worn out it cant come open while cooking. The biggest reason the catch gets worn out over time is the seals get old, hard, and as bits of food and junk build up on the hardened seal it puts more and more pressure on the latch catch. One of the other things we recommend is periodically spraying the seals with cooking oil, let it soak in and then take your fingers and soften the seal back up so it stays flexible and it will last 3 times as long this way. We sell the replacement seals and parts if they need to be changed out, which is to be expected over time.

Thanks
Chris
Lone Star Grillz
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #2369
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Anybody here purchased one of LSG's new 20" offset series?
I've not been on the forum in a while. If there's a thread about them, please PM me or post it here so I can go read please.

Thanks!!

David.... BTW, Still loving my LSG full size IVC smoker!!
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #2370
TXNewbie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Someone

Just ordered the large vertical today. Went with the 8" wheels figuring it would be easier to move the unit around (will be moving it every time I use it) where it is almost 900 pounds.

Anyone with experience with the wheel sizes? I would have loved to have saved the extra $125, but with such a large unit, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Thoughts?
TXNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote