MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #2281
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Well, it hit -6 degrees here so there's no way in HELL i'll be doin any PBCing today! It's supposed to get back up into the 30's by the end of the week so we'll see. I've been going thru Q withdrawls so I'm really hoping to see some beef ribs sometime in my immediate future!!
Pansy!

Lol.....I guess I can't blame ya!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #2282
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Pansy!

Lol.....I guess I can't blame ya!
LOL!!! Farker!!!
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #2283
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Got two friends to buy PBCs over the last month or so!!! We're thinking about doing a comp if one comes to middle TN that we can get into.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #2284
defib
On the road to being a farker

Default Walmart choice brisket

image.jpg
It started as a 15.5 lb packer. Trimmed it and seasoned it last night. Started cooking at around 10 am. It stalled at around 4 pm. I realized my charcoal was starting to get low. So I pulled it and put it in a foil pan covered with foil. Into a 250 degree oven. At 195 it was pretty tender. I put it into an ice chest to rest for about 3 hours. Then it was carving time.
defib is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #2285
defib

Attachment 121076
Point and flat
defib is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #2286
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by defib View Post
Attachment 121075
It started as a 15.5 lb packer. Trimmed it and seasoned it last night. Started cooking at around 10 am. It stalled at around 4 pm. I realized my charcoal was starting to get low. So I pulled it and put it in a foil pan covered with foil. Into a 250 degree oven. At 195 it was pretty tender. I put it into an ice chest to rest for about 3 hours. Then it was carving time.
Nice!!!! The brisket bend.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #2287
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonis13 View Post
First cook was a success!!! They were the best ribs I have ever cooked and I'm still amazed that it only took 3.5 hours to cook them. I'm used to using the 3-2-1 method on my other cookers, so nearly double the cook time. I look forward to trying some other meats in the PBC. I caught a little flak from the lady when she noticed this on the patio yesterday, but now she is very happy I got it, lol.

Man those are some fine looking ribs there. My wife thought I had lost it to for paying $300 for a 30 gallon drum.lol She changed her mind after she tasted of the food. Hey I went through that pellet pooper stage to.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #2288
TexArlina BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalBruin View Post
Anyone try a beef tenderloin on the PBC? I'm thinking of using the PBC to smoke it to 10deg near desired IT, then cut it to about 2" thick slices, and lastly give it a quick sear on the stovetop so guests would be eating it like steaks. The other method would be to buy individual pieces of filet mignon and cook it on the grate. Not sure which would yield better results. Anybody done either or?
I cooked some beef tenderloin tails I picked up at SAMs. Very good off the PBC. Family thoroughly enjoyed!

TexArlina BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #2289
Edonis13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjonz View Post
Man those are some fine looking ribs there. My wife thought I had lost it to for paying $300 for a 30 gallon drum.lol She changed her mind after she tasted of the food. Hey I went through that pellet pooper stage to.
Thanks. I love my pellet cookers but it is nice to still have a charcoal bbq to play with.

I had my first failure with the PBC a couple days ago. I am doing some test cooks getting ready for a party I'm hosting in a couple weeks and the other night was my tri tip test. I fired up my charcoal in the chimney for 15 minutes, dumped it in the basket with a couple wood chunks (Oak and Hickory) and let it come up to temp for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes the smoke was still really white/grey so I let it go for another 10 minutes. Surely that would give the pit plenty of time to be burning clean right? Wrong. I put the meat on and pulled it at 125* internal expecting carryover to take me into the low-mid 130's. It didn't. It was way too rare and had a horrible sour smoke taste that was unbearable. I threw the whole thing away.

Lesson learned, I really need to make sure it's burning clean before putting meat on it, even if that takes longer than I want and for my taste I need to cook them until at least 130* internal on this cooker. That's why I do test cooks.....

Old 01-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #2290
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Very true about making sure you get clean smoke. I wonder what went wrong. Was your wood seasoned? Is it possible it got wet or something?

Also one thing you can try is cracking the lid. It should get a good fire going BUT, it will raise your temp. If you get clean smoke by cracking the lid, just put it back on and let the temp settle back down. Shouldn't take any longer than the 20 min you mentioned anyway.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #2291
Edonis13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Very true about making sure you get clean smoke. I wonder what went wrong. Was your wood seasoned? Is it possible it got wet or something?

Also one thing you can try is cracking the lid. It should get a good fire going BUT, it will raise your temp. If you get clean smoke by cracking the lid, just put it back on and let the temp settle back down. Shouldn't take any longer than the 20 min you mentioned anyway.
Store bought wood chunks, so they SHOULD be reasonably seasoned (I have never had problem with them with several years of use).

Yeah, I should have cracked the lid for a bit to allow the fire to get up to speed. I'm clearly still learning how to cook on this thing.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #2292
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks. I love my pellet cookers but it is nice to still have a charcoal bbq to play with.

I had my first failure with the PBC a couple days ago. I am doing some test cooks getting ready for a party I'm hosting in a couple weeks and the other night was my tri tip test. I fired up my charcoal in the chimney for 15 minutes, dumped it in the basket with a couple wood chunks (Oak and Hickory) and let it come up to temp for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes the smoke was still really white/grey so I let it go for another 10 minutes. Surely that would give the pit plenty of time to be burning clean right? Wrong. I put the meat on and pulled it at 125* internal expecting carryover to take me into the low-mid 130's. It didn't. It was way too rare and had a horrible sour smoke taste that was unbearable. I threw the whole thing away.

Lesson learned, I really need to make sure it's burning clean before putting meat on it, even if that takes longer than I want and for my taste I need to cook them until at least 130* internal on this cooker. That's why I do test cooks.....
When you say you brought it up to temp was that with the lid on or off?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #2293
Edonis13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
When you say you brought it up to temp was that with the lid on or off?
Lid on, rebar in. It came up to about 285* and settled in.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #2294
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Lid on, rebar in. It came up to about 285* and settled in.
OK though maybe you had the lid off and your temps got too high. When that happens the fire can drop quickly once you start your cook.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #2295
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Quote:

I wasn't trying to put down your pellet grills. I would most likely still have one, but just don't have the space or energy for to many grills.

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it