• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

N Texas BBQ Brethren Bash on Saturday April 22, 2017

Hotch

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yep, you're all invited to N Texas BBQ Brethren Bash Saturday April 22, 2017. :mrgreen:
This year it will be at:

Ray Roberts State Park
Isle du Bois Unit
Group Pavilion 2

100 PW 4137
Pilot Point, TX 76258

It is near Pilot Point TX off of FM 455 E. Nice location, great facilities and easy in and out for most of us. There is a large Pavilion with quite a few picnic tables. On site restrooms and running water at the hose bib. Great views of the Lake. It is right on the water.
You can bring your camp chairs and coolers if you like. (Solo Cups are Needed, this is a State Park!!)

There is a Park Entrance Fee of $7.00 per Adult, 12 and under are free.

If you want to bring your BGE Egg, cabinet smoker, PBC, UDS, or stick burner cooker that's great. If not, we should have space somewhere if you want to bring something to cook.
And if you just want to hang out, possible have a few adult beverages and partake in some great food and Q, well that's OK too.

Looks like I will bring both my BGE MiniMax and R&V Deep Fryer this year.
(Frognot will be cooking on the MiniMAX!!!)

Just click on the sign up sheet in my Signature Line and let us know who's coming please.

We will be there pretty much all day. Any questions just let us know.
I'm a local, along with Frognot, and can answer pretty much any question about the area. Just call or text me, 972-979-0187 :mrgreen:

We will be there rain or shine!!
If the Park is closed (flooded, it happened once a few years ago) we will have it at my house! Just don't tell Shelly!!

So go ahead sign up, bring what you want and we will see you there !! :mrgreen:

A few pics of the Pavilion and Lake view:

2016-04-16%20003.jpg

2016-04-16%20001.jpg

And the Famous SmittyJonz, doing a final inspection of Boomshakalaka

2016-04-16%20016.jpg

:mrgreen:

These really sound like a lot of fun. And every time I see one I think this will be the year. But, six hours each way, just not thinking I can do it. The wife is on vacation, so I can't really leave the animals alone for that long, and one isn't well, so a long road trip with him isn't a good idea either.

Y'all have fun and post a lot of pictures. Maybe next time...

These really sound like a lot of fun. And every time I see one I think this will be the year. But, six hours each way, just not thinking I can do it. The wife is on vacation, so I can't really leave the animals alone for that long, and one isn't well, so a long road trip with him isn't a good idea either.

Y'all have fun and post a lot of pictures. Maybe next time...
Would be great if you could make it but we understand.

So it sounds like we need to squeeze another Bash in for the Austin / San Antonio area!
I'm thinking San Marcos, Lockhart or Canyon Lake area?
Or possible Camp Ben McCulloch in Driftwood, directly across from Salt Lick BBQ!! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I understand that a lot of the people coordinating this are up near the DFW. We have had talks of trying to do a SoTex Bash, but that's all it has been is talk. If we got one scheduled close to here or even Houston, it makes it a long drive for y'all...

I understand that a lot of the people coordinating this are up near the DFW. We have had talks of trying to do a SoTex Bash, but that's all it has been is talk. If we got one scheduled close to here or even Houston, it makes it a long drive for y'all...

I'm liking the Camp Ben McCulloch location. Has great pavilions, unreserved camping. Could be tents, RV's or Class A! Rental is a great price at $150 for one of the pavilions. It's BYOB but no glass allowed.

In fact I will be cooking at the Texas EggFest at Camp Ben McCulloch in 2 weeks. Have done so for the past 3 years. There are many Eggheads in the area and I know there are quite a few Brethren in the surrounding area. :mrgreen:
Now where is that Brethren map? Looks like we have around 25 on the Brethren map!! You know there are a lot more.
Looks like San Antonio is only 65-75 miles away!

Last edited:
I think I will deep fry some Earl Campbell Hot Links for the Bash. :mrgreen:
That Dave has got me thinking about them all week!! :shock:

These really sound like a lot of fun. And every time I see one I think this will be the year. But, six hours each way, just not thinking I can do it.

Just six hours? Plug DWFisk and myself into your map thingy and see what we'll be pulling off. We'll actually be in Ft Worth visiting but it's nice to be able to plan a grand baby trip and a Brethern Bash into one trip. You'll never eat better or meet a greater bunch of folks!

Terry, we do the north/Central tx bash in the fall. That would cut the trip in half.

Well good news!!
The Shooters will be making a comeback at N Texas BBQ Brethren Bash Saturday April 22, 2017!
Shelly said we will have both the Bourbon with a Chocolate Sauce and the Rum with the Caramel Drizzle!! :mrgreen:
Nothing better then Deep Fried Bourbon and Rum Shooters!!!

Wish I lived closer, I'm sure there is going to be some great pits, food and conversations plus I'd get to see Smitty and his Badass Grill :-D

I just picked up some pineapple so one item you can make will be grilled pineapple and Caramel Rum on the BGE MiniMAX!!!

Well good news!!
The Shooters will be making a comeback at N Texas BBQ Brethren Bash Saturday April 22, 2017!
Shelly said we will have both the Bourbon with a Chocolate Sauce and the Rum with the Caramel Drizzle!! :mrgreen:
Nothing better then Deep Fried Bourbon and Rum Shooters!!!

I just picked up some pineapple so one item you can make will be grilled pineapple and Caramel Rum on the BGE MiniMAX!!!

Hotch, do you have any pictures to help seal the deal?

Thinking once Mrs Frognot tries these she might buy me a MiniMax for Father's Day.

Hotch, do you have any pictures to help seal the deal?

Thinking once Mrs Frognot tries these she might buy me a MiniMax for Father's Day.

I looked back and did not find any. Probably they were so good, they did not last long enough for pictures!

These are so easy to do, and taste great! She will be impressed, I promise. :mrgreen:

Would be great if you could make it but we understand.

So it sounds like we need to squeeze another Bash in for the Austin / San Antonio area!
I'm thinking San Marcos, Lockhart or Canyon Lake area?
Or possible Camp Ben McCulloch in Driftwood, directly across from Salt Lick BBQ!! :mrgreen:

I'd love to go, but it's right at 5 hrs one way for me. I'm just West of Houston, and I think a SoTex bash would be great! Heck, if there's enough interest, I can help organize...or at least help secure a place to meet.

I'd love to go, but it's right at 5 hrs one way for me. I'm just West of Houston, and I think a SoTex bash would be great! Heck, if there's enough interest, I can help organize...or at least help secure a place to meet.

Hi there. Our Brethren friends in Austin, Kelley and Bruce, are going to work on putting a annual Bash together in Driftwood at Camp Ben McCulloch. Would this be something you would interested in? :mrgreen:

Back