smoked pizza?

Meatball

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was just talking with a salesman at the office and he came up with a good question.Has anyone tried to smoke a pizza and if so how did it turn out?

Meatball,
do a search of all postings by Rick's Tropical Delights, he has some great pictures of pizza's he does regularly on his BGE.

Scott

I've never actually "smoked" a pizza - cause I think of that as low and slow, but I have smoked ingredients to go on my pizza then cooked them not and fast on my Egg.

Never tried, not even on the grill yet. Always wanted too, though.
I would think "hot" smoking would be the way to go, IMHO. You'd want high temps to crisp the dough (like an oven). But.......like I said......never tried.

Interested in pics and results if you try it!!

Good luck!

There's lots here, just search for them. Chicago-style deep dish, thin crust, etc. I have not done it, but all the pix on this site make me want to! :p I need to get a pizza stone first, though I understand cast iron flatware works good, too. I'd like to find a piece of clean 1/4" steel plate and try that once, too. I'd think a higher-end heat in a smoker would do it just fine, say around 300-350.

I have done Pizza's on my Lang 84 Long Neck. Had to get internal up to 450' & broke 2 shelf slide welds Also had to use Hickory for that much heat. They were great but a pain in the AZZ. :icon_cool

I am not sure about cooking a pizza in a smoker but in a dome shaped wood burning oven the cook time is about 3-4 minutes at 500-700 degrees with 3 turns. In other words the fire is at the back of the oven and the pie needs to be turned in order to cook evenly. I am sure with all of the excellent cooks/chefs on this site there is someone that has done it on a grill. On a side note, I found a site that sells the plans for one of these dome ovens and most people would be able to build with minimum const. experience. The site is www.traditionaloven.com for anyone that is interested

It's easy on my wood burning UDS. Also easy on my propane assist Kettle on steroids. As long as you can generate the temps (minimum 450 deg F.)

Last edited:
I have cooked many pizza's on the BGE usually we buy the Papa Murpheys. And they do turn out awsome, nice smokey flavor in the cheese and meat. We have also done nachos and the egg.

Meatball,
do a search of all postings by Rick's Tropical Delights, he has some great pictures of pizza's he does regularly on his BGE.

Scott

i'm not so sure i would call these "smoked" pizzas, but they were baked in my smoker with hardwood lump charcoal. they turn out pretty dang good.

fattypizza1.jpg

twopizzas-014.jpg

twopizzas-004.jpg

pizzettes-029.jpg

swdeepdish-006.jpg

I love pizzas off the wood cook. This is a store bought self riser I cooked this evening. Almost over did it. Cooked on a pellet pooper. :eek:
CornStove016.jpg

A seasoned pellet pooper smokin at 400.

CornStove015-1.jpg

Last edited:
Rick, the pictures are awesome! Do you use a fancy DSLR and tripod? Any special lighting?

thanks, man. that's a nikon D80 with a cheap tripod when the lighting is low. usually all natural lighting

I probably do pizza once a week. I think they are great. My kids did not like homemade pizza until we started smoking them on the primo--now it is one of their favorites.

Back