• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sam the whoreing guy

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last edited:
Have you seen the price tag? If I remember correctly they run around $3400.

My older brother bought himself, son and son in law expensive Traeger Pellet Cookers. They keep their BGE's for patio art but has told me they all love their T's.

I like the larger capacity, but had a bad experience with a pellet cooker and don't care to try again. Yet. Too soon.

Maybe someone some day will make one that actually imparts smoke flavor into meat that you don't have to hunt for or imagine. Don't tell me about smoke tubes.

No disrespect to all you "light smoke flavor" lovers. :thumb:

Full disclosure, I have a pellet cooker now, I've had one in the past, and guessing someday I'll replace the current one. The convenience is really nice. That being said I seldom watch any YT or BBQ TV featuring pellet cookers. I think it's boring TV. Push a button and........snnoooore

I personally love what Traeger did with the new Timberline but I think they're a solid $1000-$1800 too high on their bigger model. I think a ~$2000 pricepoint is not unreasonable for the big model but $3400 is highway robbery when you compare that to a Lonestar, MAK 2 star general, Yoder YS64, RecTeq RT-1250, GMG Peak etc.

Sure the Traeger is double wall insulated in the top/lid but that doesn't at all justify it's price. Does it have a trick controller? Yeah, but it doesn't do anything better than the others. Any good PID controller these days will work great, sure some give off better smoke than others (which also comes into chamber design) but again, that isn't going to be what drives the cost up. They charge it because they hold the vast market share and they know the product will sell.

Last edited:
$3700 for that model. About $1000 more than I am paying for my LSG which is American made. No thanks.

Yeah once you get in that price range, it better be US made and rockstar and tank all in one.

I agree it's too expensive but I'd really like to have one. Question: why is he cooking the chickens over top of the ribs and not vice versa

Ain't gonna lie, there's some stuff to love about this grill. I'd love to have an induction burner at my beck and call, outdoors.

Watching from the sidelines, though, the release seems to have gotten off to a rocky start. Lots of new owners seeming to have quite a few issues. Guessing Traeger will have things ironed out in the next few months… at least I hope they do. The same thing happened when they first released their standard Timberline.

Last edited:
I agree it's too expensive but I'd really like to have one. Question: why is he cooking the chickens over top of the ribs and not vice versa

One possibility....All the meat is going in at the same time and the chicken should be done sooner than the ribs. Anything that drips on the ribs will also be in the chicken. If it's done in/on the chicken, it will also be done on the ribs.

This issue comes up when cooking on commercial smokers with rotating racks. Rather than organizing meat vertically, one must organize it horizontally. I have cooked on both types of smokers and settled on one with stationary racks. If confronted with this circumstance, I could either move meat around or place a sheet pan under the chicken to keep it from dripping on other stuff. Some commercial operations may approach it differently. Great question and awareness about food safety if one is not already familiar.

I just paid $3400 for a GE Cafe dual fuel range, with double oven and six burners, including one big mondo 21K BTU one and a griddle. I cannot imagine paying that kind of money for a pellet smoker.

You could probably make better BBQ in that GE Cafe range than you can in a pellet smoker too. Just open a bottle of Liquid Smoke and set on the counter during the cook for roughly the same smoke profile.

Prices of two Pellet Cookers that have been in my life

GMG Davy Crockett 299 free shipping and extra accessories
Pit boss Austin XL 250 clearance Walmart

GMG DC small but powerful little cooker
Pit Boss Austin XL excellent food comes from it
Hopper,auger,fire pit,fan
All pellet cookers have this base. Controllers, quality and finish vary

However, to my senses nothing tastes as good as what comes from a drum.

I actually looked at one of the new Traegers at an ACE. It’s a very nice looking and solid cooker with some cool features. However, I couldn’t fathom spending more on a Traeger than a MAK or LSG cost. IMO, probably at least $1000 overpriced.

I actually looked at one of the new Traegers at an ACE. It’s a very nice looking and solid cooker with some cool features. However, I couldn’t fathom spending more on a Traeger than a MAK or LSG cost. IMO, probably at least $1000 overpriced.

Agreed, at the approximate $2000 pricepoint I think its pretty reasonable, maybe $2500 tops.

I get all the cool factors but still a Traeger (no offense) and like mentioned at that price point you can get a badarse Yoder, Mak or LSG.

Back