What's Cooking This Weekend (6/29 - 7/1)?

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't see a weekend cooking thread yet, so I'll start...

We're having a high school graduation party for my daughter on Sunday. I bought the groceries today and started the process of cooking tonight. I'm cooking two briskets (I found two Excel Choice whole flats at Sams Club. bout 10 lbs each), four butts and nine slabs of baby backs. I'm also going to make Keri's Hog-Apple beans, Home made slaw, some stuffed peppers (I was going to use japs, but Sam's had these cute little multicolor sweet peppers that are the size of a Jap. I'm going to try them instead) and some fatties.

Tonight I injected the briskets with my own injection made with beef stock, garlic and Montreal Steak Seasoning and I injected the butts with Chris Lilly's injection. They are going to soak overnight.

I'm going to fire up the Good One at about 11:00 tomorrow night and put the butts and briskets in at around Midnight. I want the butts to be in the cooler by about noon on Sunday and the briskets in the cooler by about 2:00PM on Sunday. The ribs, fatties and turds should go into the cooker as the butts come out. the fatties and turds will be snacks as the afternoon goes on and the main course will be served at around 5:00PM.

We're expecting somewhere between 30 and 50 people. I have way too much food, but I promised a few folks some leftovers :-D

Pictures and progress reports to follow!

I am up right now cooking. I am on vacation after tomorrow for 1 1/2 weeks and was conned into cooking for my employees. They do a great job and I dont mind it, but it hasnt stopped raining for 2 days and it is suppossed to rain Sat. So far the menu is 8 slaps of ribs about 25lbs of pulled chuckies, and about 40 pieces of chicken and some brats. I have been taking pics and will post later.

I will be cooking brats at church on Sunbday for a post-service feed bag.
Other than that nothing going on the smokers.

Leaving for Reno/N Lake Tahoe 9:30 AM Saturday. Going to hit the Chicken Wing Cook-Off Sunday in Reno. My daughter has a volleyball tournament next week. Last time I was in the area the Q scene looked pretty bleak. Only thing smokin' is the wildfires on the South side of the lake, hope they can get a handle on it.
Smoke on bro's!!
http://www.thegreatinternationalchickenwingsociety.com/event.html
Brian

Heading up the road a couple of hours into Arkansas to a Menonite farm to buy sweet corn. Mentioned it to some friends and now I am bringing home 800 ears for everyone:roll: . Best corn I've ever tasted and a real neat operation. I'll take my camera and post pics later.

No smoking here this weekend. Holding off until the 4th.:-D

doing 2 racks of ribs, untrimmed so far...:rolleyes: 1 butt for pulled pork, and......trying to make a fatty or fatties from scratch...p/u a friends grinder a 10 lb butt...somespices...nutmeg,marjoram,sage,and thyme...
any other ideas? Not yet into casings...

No plans, on call and a stomach upset thats got me pretty upset, know whatta mean.

No bbq today but we're grilling up 42 burgers, 42 dogs, 21 split breasts, 38 drumsticks, 6 lbs of tuna steaks and 6 lbs of salmon filets for my boss's picnic. Looking forward to next weekend already so I can cook something for myself.

Well nothing over the weekend getting ready for the cookout on the 4th of July here will be doing hand pressed burgers and some brats for 11 people here, BBQ is nice but sometimes its the plain ole back yard grilling stuff thats needed.

today is our annual fireworks display and party at the lakehouse in kentucky...
abt's, bacon wrapped sea scallops, 4 smoked fatties, 2 turkey fryer pots of frogmore stew, 2 pork loins with rosemary garlic paste inside, brownies, bananas foster & ice cream!
whoohooooooo... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Steaks tonight, smoke a meatloaf Sunday, butt and ribs for the 4th.

As usual, 60% chance of rain here in the midwest monsoon region. So I probably won't be taking on any longish-lasting outdoor projects, including Qing. I may fire up the grill if we get a break at some point. Sigh. I'm sick of rain.

Guess what's for dinner? She just flew onto the garage and walked around while we took pictures. I named her Smokey. Get it?????
IMG_2207.JPG
k

Mmmm..... fresh meat.

I might do a flat iron steak this weekend. Other than that, no real plans. But we'll be going to the store in a little while, so something may catch my eye. :cool:

Comp practice and July 4th pre-cook today. Getting started in about an hour. Got a 6lb brisket flat, 7lb butt, 7lb of chicken thighs, 3 racks of bbs totalling about half of what we plan to take with us to a comp. Since the fire's going grabbed a 2lb fatty and 3 lbs of a roast to smoke some jerky with.

Gonna setup outside and hopefully not get hammered by what's becoming daily monsoons here in the St. Louis area.

As usual, 60% chance of rain here in the midwest monsoon region. So I probably won't be taking on any longish-lasting outdoor projects, including Qing. I may fire up the grill if we get a break at some point. Sigh. I'm sick of rain.

I know that feeling but I love to Q. So I bought a First-up 10' x 10' gazebo a few weeks ago at WM.

Got the WSM ready last night and put a trimmed flat and 2 pork loins in the marinade for the night. Those, along with a stuffed yard bird hit the smoke about 6 this morning.
Internal on the flat is at 129 and slowly climbing.

Plans changed, little boy came into the office just now holding another bag of those red hots I cooked a while back. Could you cook these for me for lunch;he asked. I replied; The whole bag. He said; Well you might want one. I only get to have one. You gotta love him.

I just finished eating 1.25 lbs. of hamburger all by myself.. I divided the meat in half and made two extremely large burgers using the WannaBeBBQQuuen's hubby Skip's famous technique of how he forms the meat in his hand to make them perfect. :-D

I gave each of them a little coating of Dizzy Pig's "Raising the Steaks" dry rub and on the hot grill they went until medium in the center.

I topped with cheddar cheese and tomato (no buns) and ate them like steaks with a fork and knife...

I'm stuffed, but they were great...

I planned a long afternoon of cooking yesterday, After my Doctor's appointment in San Antonio, I swung over to Academy to purchase an E-ZUP 9' X 11' instant shelter and a nice heavy duty rib rack, and some new cooking tongs, and a 4 oz. stainless steel flavor injector until the one from no cents comes in. When I arrived back in Jourdanton I went to the local H.E.B. and bought 2 slabs of pork spareribs, 1 pork butt, 2 huge strips of fajitas, 1 big package of kiolbasa sausage, and I finally got a chance to do my very first Fattie with sauteed onions and jalepenos with shreded southwestern cheese mix. Every thing was fine except the spare ribs they bombed and bombed bad, they were so over cooked they fell apart. I blame myself for that because I don't do pork ribs often. I like to smoke beef crosscut ribs from a meat market down in a little town called Poth. I just chalked it up to a learning experience. One advantage is with the assistance of the rib racks I am able to cook 16 slabs on the bottom rack and lay 3 more racks of spares on top for 19 rack of ribs not bad. I did try a new rub I found with chipotle and tried that with all the meat except the fajitas, i used my own. I injected the pork but with applejuice and the new rub and it came out pretty tasty. All in all it was a good BBQ, my daughter asked me this morning what we were going to cook today, I told her I was up to a challenge just ask her mom to go buy it. With all this food I am going to have to invest in a vacuum sealer.

Back