Smoked cream cheese - PSA

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
We had an end of summer party yesterday and I decided to throw a couple bricks on the Rectec since I’ve heard so much about it. I was in a hurry and just threw them in

In hindsight, not my best decision.

837b1054662c38ec2fb4f6b0eea4ca93.jpg

So, for future reference, frog mats or a pan would be a good idea

I did try some that hadn’t fallen through and I was impressed fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminds me of a meatloaf I attempted a few weeks back. Lessons leads. lol.

At least put some aluminum foil lubricated with olive oil down first!!!

That would've stopped the smoke from the bottom. LoL
Looks like my second attempt at smokin cheese. Didn't get enough smoke first time and learned about temp control on second. The goo in the bottom was smoky though. LoL

That would've stopped the smoke from the bottom. LoL
Looks like my second attempt at smokin cheese. Didn't get enough smoke first time and learned about temp control on second. The goo in the bottom was smoky though. LoL

Watch some YouTube videos, there's no smoke going through the bottom of the cast iron pan I guarantee you buddy. Foil is what majority of folks use.

I only smoke cheese or butter when it is cold outside so I avoid this - I also learned the hard way!

Smoking cheese is typically done as cold-smoking (no heat). The cold-smoking method, smokes the cheese between 60° to 86° F. Any cheese may be smoked if the temperature is kept cool enough. The primary reason for keeping cheese cool is that the melting point of the butterfat, which is 98°. The butterfat will actually begin to ooze from the cheese when it reaches temperatures in the middle 60’s; this is often referred to as “sweating”. Since we do not want to strip the butterfat from the cheese during the smoking process, we need to keep the smoking process as cold as possible.

When sorting through the different methods of cold smoking, the main fact you have to understand is that you are cold smoking so that the cheese will not “sweat” or melt from heat. It’s not really a difficult process, but if you over think the technique you can make things more complex than they need to be.

Cold smoking usually refers to smoking foods at temperatures of about 90 degrees or less, something that might be difficult with some backyard smokers. Most books state that cheese should be smoked under 80 degrees, but you will probably want to smoke your cheese below 60 degrees, if possible, so the cheese will not “sweat”.

Smoking above 90 degrees will cause some cheeses to melt; the last thing you want is to end up with a melted cheese mess in the smoker.

Personally I like to keep things about 50-55 degrees when working with cheese. You can add trays / pans of ice into the cooker to keep the temperatures down during smoking. You can also take advantage of cooler outside temperatures to help achieve the lower temperatures associated with cold smoking.

I do a lot of cold smoking in the fall, winter, and early spring when conditions are near perfect for cold smoking cheese and other foods. I like to cold smoke using the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker, it's simple, easy, and produces virtually no heat.

Here's a link to a tutorial I posted a while ago if you are interested.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4388620&postcount=7

I smoked some this weekend. I was holding around 250 with some spikes to 275. It's amazing how cream cheese holds it's shape. I put it on a small aluminum tray.

I would say that you nailed it on your first attempt. Only thing remaining to do is scrape it up form a ball with Saran wrap and refrigerate to set up! Serve with distilled beverage of choice on smoke ice. Yum yum

Smoking cheese is typically done as cold-smoking (no heat). The cold-smoking method, smokes the cheese between 60° to 86° F. Any cheese may be smoked if the temperature is kept cool enough. The primary reason for keeping cheese cool is that the melting point of the butterfat, which is 98°. The butterfat will actually begin to ooze from the cheese when it reaches temperatures in the middle 60’s; this is often referred to as “sweating”. Since we do not want to strip the butterfat from the cheese during the smoking process, we need to keep the smoking process as cold as possible.

When sorting through the different methods of cold smoking, the main fact you have to understand is that you are cold smoking so that the cheese will not “sweat” or melt from heat. It’s not really a difficult process, but if you over think the technique you can make things more complex than they need to be.

Cold smoking usually refers to smoking foods at temperatures of about 90 degrees or less, something that might be difficult with some backyard smokers. Most books state that cheese should be smoked under 80 degrees, but you will probably want to smoke your cheese below 60 degrees, if possible, so the cheese will not “sweat”.

Smoking above 90 degrees will cause some cheeses to melt; the last thing you want is to end up with a melted cheese mess in the smoker.

Personally I like to keep things about 50-55 degrees when working with cheese. You can add trays / pans of ice into the cooker to keep the temperatures down during smoking. You can also take advantage of cooler outside temperatures to help achieve the lower temperatures associated with cold smoking.

I do a lot of cold smoking in the fall, winter, and early spring when conditions are near perfect for cold smoking cheese and other foods. I like to cold smoke using the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker, it's simple, easy, and produces virtually no heat.

Here's a link to a tutorial I posted a while ago if you are interested.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4388620&postcount=7

this particular smoked cream cheese recipe actually calls for a hot smoke. it's like a abt without the bacon or pepper. it's the latest fad on the interwebs

this particular smoked cream cheese recipe actually calls for a hot smoke. it's like a abt without the bacon or pepper. it's the latest fad on the interwebs

Have we learned anything about following the "latest fad on the interwebs"?

Just as soon as I recover from my Milk Crate Challenge disaster, I'm swearing off all social media - /pinky swear

I would say that you nailed it on your first attempt. Only thing remaining to do is scrape it up form a ball with Saran wrap and refrigerate to set up! Serve with distilled beverage of choice on smoke ice. Yum yum

The distilled beverages were likely part of the issue with the original attempt. There were only six couples there and basically half of the women couldn’t/didn’t drink. And yet, when I cleaned up we’d killed about 30 beers, two bottles of rum and at least a bottle and a half of bourbon. I was a somewhat active participant in the first and last of those.

In spite of that, and because I’m a professional, I did take another run at it on Sunday. All we had was the low fat version though which is already softer than the normal brick. I went with a plate to smoke it on but it still spread more than I’d say would be ideal.

Definitely something I’ll do again though. Just incredibly easy.

First of all, thank you for posting, including a pic that we may have a chuckle at your failed attempt. We've all been there. I should have posted the bacon I turned into pork coals a month or so ago after smoking it at low temp for 2 hours... what a waste!

Your 2nd attempt looks great! Care to share any tips? I got a smoke tube for my RT-590, I was planning to cold smoke some cream cheese myself, but the smoker will get up to 100F just sitting in the sun so I was waiting for cooler weather or I may have to get up early and do it.

How long did you go, and what did you do to keep temps down?

First of all, thank you for posting, including a pic that we may have a chuckle at your failed attempt. We've all been there. I should have posted the bacon I turned into pork coals a month or so ago after smoking it at low temp for 2 hours... what a waste!

Your 2nd attempt looks great! Care to share any tips? I got a smoke tube for my RT-590, I was planning to cold smoke some cream cheese myself, but the smoker will get up to 100F just sitting in the sun so I was waiting for cooler weather or I may have to get up early and do it.

How long did you go, and what did you do to keep temps down?

As smoke ninja mentioned in an earlier reply, cream cheese is different than smoking most cheese as you don’t cold smoke it — you’re usually using it as a dip so you want it nice and gooey and soft (though, preferably not dripping through the grates). I went with 225 but will probably go a little lower next time to get some more smoke on the Rectec. I was targeting two hours but neither effort went that long. I think at 200 it should work out pretty well.

I would definitely use the regular version vs low fat. I also would put it in the freezer for a little while before getting it ready only because it makes it a little easier to handle while you apply the rub.

One thing that I didn’t do with the second attempt (and didn’t have time on the first) was putting a little apricot preserves on the one that I’d done with a pretty sweet rub (brown sugar and Dominator). It was really good without it but I think heating some up and drizzling it over the top would be even better.

As smoke ninja mentioned in an earlier reply, cream cheese is different than smoking most cheese as you don’t cold smoke it — you’re usually using it as a dip so you want it nice and gooey and soft (though, preferably not dripping through the grates). I went with 225 but will probably go a little lower next time to get some more smoke on the Rectec. I was targeting two hours but neither effort went that long. I think at 200 it should work out pretty well.

Hot smoking cream cheese is something new I guess; consequently I just saw another post hot smoking cream cheese and and adding HEB Raspberry-Chipotle on the top after smoking. Again a hot dip like you shared with us.

Thanks For Sharing

Back