Off-Road Klose!

PamunkeyHub

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try my hand at running an offset smoker for a while now. I'm always indecisive when it comes to any major purchase, so I decided to start with a pre-owned cooker before jumping into a bigger custom offset. I found this '05 built 20x36 Klose on facebook marketplace about an hour from home and picked it up for $700 bucks including a few bundles of seasoned pecan splits.

The caster's just didn't work for me, so I fabricated my version of an off-road package. I can post some pictures of the build if there's any interest. The parts, wheels and tires, and steel set be back $589, so I'm into it for $1,289, but I'm ok with that. I've burned two test fires and cooked a rack of STL ribs on it. Once I learned how much wood it likes for a given temperature, it holds a consistent temperature with little effort on my part.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Klose and would certainly consider one if I was looking for a new cooker.

Attachments

• IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 456
  • 20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_003.jpg
    20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_003.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_004.jpg
    20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_004.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 450
  • 20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_005.jpg
    20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_005.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_006.jpg
    20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_006.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_007.jpg
    20210709_KloseBBQ_HR_007.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 452
Hell Yes. I’d hit my pandemic savings for that cooker. Screams Texas BBQ

Now.... fer the nerds of BBQ..

How much can ya fit on a 20"x36" cooker?
How much real estate is available at 275*-300?
Please give yer measurements in whole chicken because I believe a whole chicken or a spatchcock chicken is the great multiplier and divisible fer all protein at 275* and greater.
That's my roll, baby.

-D

Nice work!

Thanks!!

Looks good. I'd love to see some pictures of the build.

Thanks. I'll get some posted.

Hell Yes. I’d hit my pandemic savings for that cooker. Screams Texas BBQ

Thanks!

That’s awesome! Nice work. I’ve always seen these small wheels/casters as a flaw on these heavy pits.

I know right. I could hardly roll it across my exposed aggregate concrete driveway :doh:

A pit by Dave Klose for $700? Heck of a deal man!

Thanks. I wasn't very familiar with Klose when I saw it listed and almost passed on it. Glad I gave it a second look and worked out a deal. Seller was asking $1k.

If you can fab a cart like that, I would just build my own smoker, you killed it on that mod.

Great work! Can’t wait to see the cooks.

Thanks! I've got a pork butt in the freezer, but I work a lot in the summer so it may be a few weeks until I can fire it up again.

Now.... fer the nerds of BBQ..

How much can ya fit on a 20"x36" cooker?
How much real estate is available at 275*-300?
Please give yer measurements in whole chicken because I believe a whole chicken or a spatchcock chicken is the great multiplier and divisible fer all protein at 275* and greater.
That's my roll, baby.-D

Thanks! I'd say it will fit 2 briskets, 4 racks of ribs, 4 pork butts, 6 spatchcock chickens, or a lot of legs and thighs. It has an upper cooking grate, but I'm not sure if I'll use it.

OMG that is cool. Really, really cool. Great work!

Thanks!!

Dave Klose makes a great pit, you stole that one. Great job on the tires!!

Thanks!!

Awesome job. Looks great.

Thanks!!

Killer!
I love it.

Thanks!!

Looks great, tell me about your pivot point.

Thanks!! It's a basic 4-bolt wheel hub. The spindle is welded to the front axle and I added bump stops to keep the tires from hitting the frame. Makes steering very smooth.

If you can fab a cart like that, I would just build my own smoker, you killed it on that mod.

Thanks! The thought crossed my mind, but the steel alone would cost more than I have in this cooker. I'm gonna enjoy this one for a bit and go from there.

Very nicely done! Scored an awesome pit and made it awesomer! :clap2: For future reference: Brethren always want to see build pix, kinda like how zombies want brains. Looking forward to seeing some cooking on that thing! :hungry:

Thanks, I'll get some posted!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back