MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:14 AM   #1
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Default LA area advice please for Tue/Wed 6/7 Sep - BBQ and other

Hi there

As part of a commitment to the Great American road trip (the 'Eating' sub-category ), will be in the LA area on Tue&Wed 6/7 Sep (driving up/down from SF before and after). We did Jockos last trip as a day-long sidetrip, but more dedicated this time to LA.

So, looking for some Brethren assistance in digging out the gems. Am looking not only for straight BBQ (e.g. Bludso's - what are the other current faves ... on the web the list is quite long), would love to have tried some that are closed or gone (APL?). I am very interested in the grilling side of things (need to try some tritip close to it's US spiritual home - have tried the Brazilian real deal) ... but especially interested in Mexican/BBQ overlap (missed Valentina's when we went to Austin) or even straight Mexican (any reluctance in this regard results from years of bean-dominated stodge in NZ/Australia labelled as 'Mexican').

Actually, when I think about it we are up for anything (why isn't Smorgasburg open 7 days ... and what about the Korean thing!) so as long as you recommend it, we'll give it a go, time permitting.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Are you taking I-5 from SF to LA? Or are you taking the 101? Hwy 101 will be a much better drive with better food options (on the way), but the trip will take longer. Or are you strictly looking for ideas in the LA area?

Also, are you looking for casual (budget friendly) or nice attire and reservations ($$$)? Or a mix of both?
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-12-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

I was in Anaheim last Month and Craft by Smoke and Fire wasn't too bad and had some Mexican BBQ dishes. I was hoping to try out Heritage in Juan Capistrano, but didn't have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jlx1aTro-g
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:22 PM   #4
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
Are you taking I-5 from SF to LA? Or are you taking the 101? Hwy 101 will be a much better drive with better food options (on the way), but the trip will take longer. Or are you strictly looking for ideas in the LA area?

Also, are you looking for casual (budget friendly) or nice attire and reservations ($$$)? Or a mix of both?
Thanks Mike. We will come down the 1/101 on Monday arvo, spend the night around Santa Barbara, then into L.A. midmorning Tuesday. Will go back up the 101/1 on Thursday morning to SFO for an evening flight to NZ. If you know of places north of L.A. along the 101 then we would love to hear.

We don't mind the style/setting/cost of the location - all is grist to the mill, so a mix. I have an idea in the back of my mind to try out a few Harry Bosch locations as well. One thing I know for sure is that I want to try a beef rib quesadilla!

Ralph
Old 08-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #5
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
I was in Anaheim last Month and Craft by Smoke and Fire wasn't too bad and had some Mexican BBQ dishes. I was hoping to try out Heritage in Juan Capistrano, but didn't have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jlx1aTro-g
Thanks Mike, I see Bowers BBQ is your channel. Good stuff. So Craft and Heritage are two great possibilities. I'll let you know the results.

Ralph
Old 08-12-2022, 11:48 PM   #6
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwayfromhome View Post
Thanks Mike. We will come down the 1/101 on Monday arvo, spend the night around Santa Barbara, then into L.A. midmorning Tuesday. Will go back up the 101/1 on Thursday morning to SFO for an evening flight to NZ. If you know of places north of L.A. along the 101 then we would love to hear.

We don't mind the style/setting/cost of the location - all is grist to the mill, so a mix. I have an idea in the back of my mind to try out a few Harry Bosch locations as well. One thing I know for sure is that I want to try a beef rib quesadilla! Ralph

Ralph,

I'll send you a PM.

Mike
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #7
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

One other thought was that some BBQ places may not be open early in the week, so may need to look at daylight/popup BBQ - any experience along those lines?
Old 08-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Aaaarrrggghhh .... trip is off.

My wife has to go into serious surgery this Friday so jaunts to BBQ, taco trucks and the like in L.A. are to be delayed for another day. Thanks so much to all for input - all info preserved and will be the basis of what will now be a 2023 trip, hopefully late spring.

Onwards!

Ralph in Auckland
Old 08-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #9
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Give your wife the best Ralph, prayers sent.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote