Tutorial: Dry Brined & Smoked Turkey

Does the process differ any with a bird that's been pre-injected with some sort of sodium solution?

Is there any risk of ending up with a salty bird?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Does the process differ any with a bird that's been pre-injected with some sort of sodium solution?

Is there any risk of ending up with a salty bird?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

No change in the process.
I have not seen any issues with over saltiness, even with a prebrined bird.

The biggest difference with a pre-injected bird is texture. That’s going to be the case, regardless of what method you use though.

Pre-injected birds tend to have a slight textural difference

I'm another fan of Harvest Brine because I'm a lazy farker and there is no easier way to get an amazing smoked turkey.

Thanks for the tutorial, John!

I concur on this method although I haven´t done it with Harvest Brine YET.
It works if you don´t wrap the bird for the brining but it is way better if you do.

Would the process/time be the same in a pellet pooper? That bird looks amazing!

Ditto, good looking bird. Iv'e been wet brining for years, but am intrigued with this. Thanksgiving generally gives me some "Research" opportunities with experimental prep/cooks.

John, I usually rush to open your threads, but as I am somewhat ambivalent about turkey, I let this slide by. Your tutorial is fantastic, and I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for putting this together for us.

Like I mentioned after reading this thread I ordered and received my harvest brine (and other items). I received them super fast. I planned on doing a turkey for thanksgiving but couldn’t wait and figure if it works good for turkey it should be good for a pork loin so just started dry brining this one. Hopefully it will come out tasty from my Maverick 850 this weekend. Smoking tips appreciated for temps. I’ll order more for the turkey ��

4-D2-DD691-DCA7-4-B7-E-BD32-C608-D6-ACCC5-C.jpg

Like I mentioned after reading this thread I ordered and received my harvest brine (and other items). I received them super fast. I planned on doing a turkey for thanksgiving but couldn’t wait and figure if it works good for turkey it should be good for a pork loin so just started dry brining this one. Hopefully it will come out tasty from my Maverick 850 this weekend. Smoking tips appreciated for temps. I’ll order more for the turkey ��

For pork loins, I like to smoke around 225 until 145 internal.

• Thanks
Reactions: TRx
Like I mentioned after reading this thread I ordered and received my harvest brine (and other items). I received them super fast. I planned on doing a turkey for thanksgiving but couldn’t wait and figure if it works good for turkey it should be good for a pork loin so just started dry brining this one. Hopefully it will come out tasty from my Maverick 850 this weekend. Smoking tips appreciated for temps. I’ll order more for the turkey

It works great on pork loin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: TRx
Back