MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #151
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfans View Post
I am at that point where I neee to make some cash in order to survive

I am thinking of a home based BBQ operation. I intend to have garage sale on weekends and just happen to be smoking some goodies and sell it on the side(under the table so to speak).
I was going to start by offering small samples to those comming by, and when hooked, take orders.
Would this work The cookie ladies did it that way
Help a brother

Get legal and stay legal!!!

The people you will be hurting is not only yourself , imagine if someone decides to sue you claiming your food made them sick then where would you be?

Running a 'cowboy' operation will only tarnish the rest of us that get legal and try and earn a living.
The economy isn't good for millions of us but that's the way things are at the moment. Believe me I have had to sell my car and several other things just so I could get insurance and take the required FSA (food safety) classes.

If you are going to do it your way then I wouldn't go bragging about it on a public forum.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #152
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Get legal and stay legal!!!

The people you will be hurting is not only yourself , imagine if someone decides to sue you claiming your food made them sick then where would you be?

Running a 'cowboy' operation will only tarnish the rest of us that get legal and try and earn a living.
The economy isn't good for millions of us but that's the way things are at the moment. Believe me I have had to sell my car and several other things just so I could get insurance and take the required FSA (food safety) classes.

If you are going to do it your way then I wouldn't go bragging about it on a public forum.
Good advice. If the health dept came by you'd be in a world of trouble and then trying to get legal would be a real pain. Or someone from the city could say where's you're license to sell in this city.county or whatever. Or a State person might say are you submitting sales tax. All can lead to criminal charges and legal bills.

Now here in MI you can be a personal chef without the health dept. Still may need city/county licenses and sales tax. But it's a lot easier. Or just shut up and on your own talk to people about cooking for them. Doing parties is a lot easier than selling meals ot the public.

But you could give away samples during the garage sale so long as you take the liability of somebody saying they got sick. Insurance is reasonably cheap. Try Auto Owners. If you cater you'll want it for sure.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #153
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

what they said. just so ya know,even if you are legal most county HD's wont let you use you home's kitchen for a commercial food venture unless it conforms to restaurant kitchen standards.check your local HD for rules & guidelines.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #154
stillsmokintn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfans View Post
I am at that point where I neee to make some cash in order to survive

I am thinking of a home based BBQ operation. I intend to have garage sale on weekends and just happen to be smoking some goodies and sell it on the side(under the table so to speak).
I was going to start by offering small samples to those comming by, and when hooked, take orders.
Would this work The cookie ladies did it that way
Help a brother

like said in above post being a cowboy hurts it for everyone else we are all trying to make a living and my feelings are if i have to jump through all the hoops to make a livin so should somebody else!

now sellin out of your garage thats a different story while having garage sale if you can get away with it thats on you.

but i know if i was set up somewhere legit and some dude pulls up and starts sellin and hes not legit id be the first on the phone...
should be fair playin feild for all.
just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #155
undertaker
Got Wood.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. The easiest way is to get legal and stay that way. Stop wondering what you have to do and just go visit the health department. I got lucky and mine were really nice. Plus, I think they were just excited that someone was not trying to do it under the table. They even told me what I could do in my situation to satisfy food safety rules. Then when it was time for an inspection it was no problem cause they had recommended most of the equipment to me.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #156
Dr_KY

Yup I have been inspected several times and teice I asked them to come out and see what I was doing and if they could give some advice to keep me on track. Tell ya what they LOVED hearing that and made things very easy on us.

All of my reports were great and the things they wanted was as little easier way for me to keep track of my temps. She even emailed me some record keeping forms.

Quote:
Hi Alvin

Good to meet you at the weekend.

I promised you I would send you electronic copies of the temperature log sheets I gave you. I have revised them slightly to reflect event catering. Please give them a whirl...I would be interested in feedback on the forms - good and bad!

I must stress that these forms are not a legally prescribed format ...you do not have to use them. They are offered as help only as they cover the recording of information EHO's tend to request!

Something along these lines should keep you serve you well and make life easier to boot!

Good luck with the BBQ!

Regards

Jenny

Jenny Thomson
Environmental Health Officer

Hope these attachments help some of you brother and sisters out there..
Attached Files
File Type: doc EVENT CHILLED FOOD CHECKS.doc (89.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: doc EVENT HOT FOOD CHECKS.doc (73.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: doc EVENT HOT HOLDING CHECKS.doc (72.0 KB, 35 views)

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #157
TomTheGrillGuy
Found some matches.

Another great thread with great info and advice.

Thanks!

Tom the Grill Guy
Old 08-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #158
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in BBQ (probably more like $100k+), so it's not a hobby for me. It is a business. If you want to run it like one, be one. Scabs only tarnish it for the rest of us who try to remain legal.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #159
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey roadside guys. How many meals do you shoot for a day? And about what is your break even point? I lay awake at night dreaming about doing something crazy like this. I need to either dismiss it as insanity or get some ideas on paper.

Thanks

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #160
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

It's going to take a good investment in the proper equipment to do it as well as a well thought out spot to set up.You will need some catering gigs to supplement your income until you get a good customer base to keep you rolling but it can be done. I have been doing it about a year now and am just getting a good base of people and if it wasn't for all the catering I do it would be nothing but some extra pocket change. It's alot of work to keep your stock up and produce a good product each and every day so that good equipment I mentioned is esentail. Pm me if you are seriose about it there is to info I could ramble on here for days.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #161
Bigmofo300lbs
Full Fledged Farker

Wow. This is a great section. Answered so many questions for me. In my area the only place to get Q is at a Big Chain (Tony Romas, Back Forty, etc.) and I have been thinking about taking the plunge. Such good advice here.

First Stop: Health Department

Thanks, Guys.

Kamado #7, WSM, 3 Weber Kettles, Smokey Joe, Gasser & Foreman
Bigmofo300lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #162
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

It amazes me how many of us brethren are doing the vending/catering thing, or wanting to!
I have started researching the HD rules and licensing reqs in Wichita.
I am hoping to break into this field also...legally, of course.
Can't afford any fines or charges.
Keep posting how you guys are doing, and the pitfalls you come across.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #163
Dr_KY

Hey man I tell ya it's a greta game and you learn something each and every time you et out there. For the most part we tend to over cook but are getting to grips with it now. Summer is all but finished here so we are moving into catering for functions. We are aiming for Christmas fete and the likes trying to spread the word for next year and pick up orgers for the holidays.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #164
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

How bout some updates from our roadside vendors?
Talked to Scotty D and Kev and we all seem to be going about the same, were still alive and selling BBQ!
Any other guys out there still up and running?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #165
txschutte

Right now, we are getting ready to shut down for winter. Sales have been dropping off with the temps, and due to the closing of a local factory, my rush hours aren't so rushed.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catering, roadside vending, vending