Looking for Pellet Pooper $500-$700 price range

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Alright.. so I am thinking about jumping on the pellet grill wagon.. Thing is I can barely afford this thing at $500-$700 range.. But after looking at a pitboss 700s it looks like the right size for me.. all I care about is if i can fit a brisket on the thing. everything else has plenty of room.

So like above.. is it worth it? is there better options online? no way I can pay more than $600-$700 for a pellet pooper.

Last edited:
Now that I'm able to look online... I was looking at the 700s from cabela's.. which is always stupid expensive..

Found this at lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-P...VBeXICh3BsAy-EAQYAyABEgI90fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I guess either way.. how about we just make this into a "Point me in the right direction of a $500-$700 pellet pooper that's worth that price". my requirements are has to at least fit a brisket! I've learned its never a good idea to ask you guys to spend money! Always gets a feller into trouble... But you guys are pretty darn good at it lol

Last edited:
If I was in your shoes, the Pit Boss would be at the top of my list. I have seen them in person and they seem to be solid units and a great bang for your buck. I know several guys that have them and they all seem to really like them.

And please consider this an early welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking :)

If I was in your shoes, the Pit Boss would be at the top of my list. I have seen them in person and they seem to be solid units and a great bang for your buck. I know several guys that have them and they all seem to really like them.

And please consider this an early welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking :)

The pitboss I linked from lowes? or the pitboss 700s? the pitboss 700s is on sale for $599 at cabela's.. and it looks like $550 is lowest online.

then.. My biggest question.. whats the cooking surface area i'm looking for 700 enough? if you guys have links i'll welcome it. wouldn't mine just clicking a link and clicking buy LOL.. just saying I know nothing about pellet cookers.. Probably won't do much research. right now kinda set on the pitboss But there seems to be different versions lol

Last edited:
Menards has 11% rebates on everything right now and have most of the Pit Boss lineup. Or if you want to go more expensive, you can get a Menards card and charge it for zero interest if you pay it off in 6 months..

You’ll easily be able to fit 1 large brisket in the model you linked us to. Not sure about the dome height and if you’d be able to fit a second with an upper grate... but 1 big brisket, no problem.

I was gonna recommend a Pellet Pro but they don't make the small version anymore. Heck I'd sell you my Pitboss Copperhead for the $109 or whatever I paid for it. It's only been used a half dozen times. Only bought it because everyone else got me worked up over the clearance price. Looks like you're too far away though. I don't know if the price below is available in your area but it's less than $700 and it'll definitely fit a brisket.
a94bea02d6e5f78cba55e5e57965dfd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's looking like the pitboss I linked above... For $500 that seems like a great deal. It will be next month when I purchase.. so maybe I will do a little research.. would like more opinions here too.. I wish these pellet smokers had a larger top grate.. but i guess its done by design

I have had a Austin LX for almost 2 years,, lowes sells it as a 1100 and has a front shelf somewhere in the $550 area, it has been great , they now come with a 5 year warranty

I have had a Austin LX for almost 2 years,, lowes sells it as a 1100 and has a front shelf somewhere in the $550 area, it has been great , they now come with a 5 year warranty

yeah right now.. i have my eye's on a 1100.. I'm just wondering if its Too big.. not sure if i have storage for it or not.. TBH I was just looking for a pellet cooker to replace the WSM.. I'm just still not a fan of using it, and I need a cooker for my smaller cooks. one brisket, 1-2 pork butts, couple racks of ribs.. if i wanna cook a ton of food I would just fire up my offset.

I have the pit boss 1100 and I am impressed with it. I live in Washington and last week even thought it was almost freezing I did a rack of beef ribs and it held temp the whole time and cooks evenly. I would Highly recommend the Pit boss smokers. The 1100 is great for larger cooks of a feel briskets or butts and still have room on the upper rack for more but not so big that smaller cooks it is overly big.

The only PG I have experience with is the GMG Daniel Boone and have been very pleased with it! We’ve cooked on it a lot and only had one issue, had to replace the combustion fan which was no biggie.

I’d say you can go wrong with a Green Mountain Grill or a Pit Boss.

I would rather have 1 to big as to small, I will smoke up 3-4 2" pork chops for a couple of hours all the time, have loaded it with 20lbs of leg 1/4s or 30lbs of butts, but having room might present a problem. Its not a replacement for the Weber imo but another cooking method with different taste profiles

Unless the Lowe’s or Cabela’s Pit Boss uses better components, I would stay away from them. I can’t my Walmart branded cabinet to consistently smoke higher than 200F without erroring out due to high heat.

I had a gmg for several years and they're great. I think a wifi version starts at $599 and their app works great.

Unless the Lowe’s or Cabela’s Pit Boss uses better components, I would stay away from them. I can’t my Walmart branded cabinet to consistently smoke higher than 200F without erroring out due to high heat.

I have read of the error code on several sights and the problem appears to be the sensor, I think it was $12 something on amazon, supposed to be easy to change, your unit came with a 5 year warranty if bought recently, have you contacted them? My son has the 5 and no problems so far

Back