• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE Pizza...a play-by-play...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I finally got around to using my BGE for some pizzas...here's how it went...

Napoletana...Pizza Margherita...

The dough...pretty basic...flour, water, salt, and yeast.

IMG_6820.jpg

click for video clip...

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg

The sauce...crushed tomatoes, black pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, red wine vinegar, and salt.

IMG_6828.jpg

IMG_6829.jpg

The toppings...shredded mozzarella, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and fresh basil leaves.

IMG_6830.jpg

The pie...baked @ 550 degrees for 9 minutes.

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

After thoughts...

Great flavor...I loved the sauce and the toppings. The crust was a little chewy and not quite as crispy as I wanted. I'll definitely cook them at a higher temp next time...probably 625-650 dome.

Last edited:
Nice - you will now not be able to eat pizza out ever again.

yep. now ya gone and done it. :biggrin:

more basil! hahaa. that's what they told me and they were right.

looks great jd!

Nice - you will now not be able to eat pizza out ever again.

I think you are right bro...the flavor was killer!

yep. now ya gone and done it. :biggrin:

more basil! hahaa. that's what they told me and they were right.

looks great jd!

Thanks Rick...my wife would agree with you. I actually put more on after they came off the egg.

That's what I was thinking.

Nice thread, JD.

Thanks man...I hope to keep adding to it with the help of all the Brethren...kind of like a "go to" thread for making pies on the BGE.

My next pies will be "Pizza Alla Marinara"...:p

Looks great JD !!!

Yes.. you can never have enough basil.. :biggrin:

Also next time, consider trying to crush canned whole peeled tomatoes yourself (and drain the excess liquid as more will be created as it cooks under the high heat). A swirl of extra virgin olive oil is also a nice touch.

Question - How was the red wine vinegar applied and in what qty ? That's a new one for me.

try one at 450 for a longer time once. you are likely to toast the gasket cooking at 650 dome with the plate setter in there directing the hot flame at the gasket area. if the gasket is of no use to you, flame on! :biggrin:

try one at 450 for a longer time once. you are likely to toast the gasket cooking at 650 dome with the plate setter in there directing the hot flame at the gasket area. if the gasket is of no use to you, flame on! :biggrin:

I was going to suggest this as well. The higher heat would cook the toppings and brown the cheese faster, so the dough wouldn't have as much time to cook. Lower temp for longer time would give the crust a chance to crisp up.

Looks great JD !!!

Yes.. you can never have enough basil.. :biggrin:

Also next time, consider trying to crush canned whole peeled tomatoes yourself (and drain the excess liquid as more will be created as it cooks under the high heat). A swirl of extra virgin olive oil is also a nice touch.

Question - How was the red wine vinegar applied and in what qty ? That's a new one for me.

Thanks Vinny...the vinegar was mixed in to the sauce...2 tablespoons.

Thanks for the tip o wise one...I've got an extra gasket from the last BGE fest...I think I'll shoot for 600-625 and see what happens. I'm trying to recreate actual pizza oven times and temps per authentic DOC pizzas of Naples.

I was going to suggest this as well. The higher heat would cook the toppings and brown the cheese faster, so the dough wouldn't have as much time to cook. Lower temp for longer time would give the crust a chance to crisp up.

:wink:

Thanks Vinny...the vinegar was mixed in to the sauce...2 tablespoons.

Thanks for the tip o wise one...I've got an extra gasket from the last BGE fest...I think I'll shoot for 600-625 and see what happens. I'm trying to recreate actual pizza oven times and temps.

there a guy on the bge forum that cooks pizzas at 1000. he has no gaskets. newbies try to emulate his technique and then bitch when the gasket toasts.

play around and find what works for you and go with it. from the looks of the first one, you've already got it!

:wink:

there a guy on the bge forum that cooks pizzas at 1000. he has no gaskets. newbies try to emulate his technique and then bitch when the gasket toasts.

play around and find what works for you and go with it. from the looks of the first one, you've already got it!

Thanks man...I'm close...but not quite there yet. Hey...take a look at these pics. This is what the egg looked like after cooking 2 pies at 550...any idea what the white coating might be? It rubs off...you can see a vertical mark on the dome where I rubbed it with my finger...

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

Man, these pizza threads are great! I have a UDS. Is it possible to do a pizza in it?

Thanks man...I'm close...but not quite there yet. Hey...take a look at these pics. This is what the egg looked like after cooking 2 pies at 550...any idea what the white coating might be? It rubs off...you can see a vertical mark on the dome where I rubbed it with my finger...

try a different lump.

The white residue is most likey ash from toasting everything on the surface. What mine usually looks like after a high temp clean out.

try a different lump.

The white residue is most likey ash from toasting everything on the surface. What mine usually looks like after a high temp clean out.

I'm using Wicked Good..."Weekend Warrior"...never had the white chit problem before...then again "thillin" may have something there...I've not done a sustained high temp burn before...I let it come up to 500 or so for at least 45 minutes before I put the pies on. I'll try some RO lump next time and see what happens.

Thanks guys! :p

Autolyse your dough next time and you will have a more crispy crust. To do this, use your regular recipe except only use 50-60% of your flour when you first start mixing. Should be just a little thicker than cake batter. After it mixes for 3-4 minutes, let it rest for 20 minutes. They continue adding flour as normal. Leave the dough fairly wet.

Not sure actually why it works, but it does. Let me know how it works our for you.

Autolyse your dough next time and you will have a more crispy crust. To do this, use your regular recipe except only use 50-60% of your flour when you first start mixing. Should be just a little thicker than cake batter. After it mixes for 3-4 minutes, let it rest for 20 minutes. They continue adding flour as normal. Leave the dough fairly wet.

Not sure actually why it works, but it does. Let me know how it works our for you.

Thanks for the tip Dave...I'll check it out! :p

Back