Salt and pepper vs salt and sugar

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is your thoughts using a salt and sugar based rub vs a salt and pepper based rub. Pros and cons?

I have two rubs I like Adkins - Sugar and salt (no pepper), paprika, celery and a couple other things in it. The other is Salt Lick - high quality salt and pepper with garlic.

What is your thoughts using a salt and sugar based rub vs a salt and pepper based rub. Pros and cons?

I have two rubs I like Adkins - Sugar and salt (no pepper), paprika, celery and a couple other things in it. The other is Salt Lick - high quality salt and pepper with garlic.

Sugar burns at a relatively low temp (~300F), so if you like to cook hot, then you should be cautious using it.

Personally I don't care for sweet on my BBQ, but a lot of folks do.

Sugar burns at a relatively low temp (~300F), so if you like to cook hot, then you should be cautious using it.

Personally I don't care for sweet on my BBQ, but a lot of folks do.
^^^^^^this^^^^^^

I like rubs with brown sugar for pork, and rubs with black pepper for beef. I like paprika in pretty much all my rubs.

I like rubs with brown sugar for pork, and rubs with black pepper for beef. I like paprika in pretty much all my rubs.

Agreed. I like pork to have a hint of sweet, but not beef. My beef rub is salt, pepper, and garlic, that's it. Although I am itching to try Black Ops on my next brisket.

It's all good actually. Some of the best briskets I've made had some sugar in the rub. Don't get me wrong, the brisket wasn't "candy sweet" or anything it just added a nice layer of flavor to provide some balance.

Back