Schweinshaxe and Potato Dumplings

OMG I love schweinshaxe. Personally not a big fan of Knodel...but that's just me. Nicely done!

Thanks for a new idea!!

We just got a case of fresh pork shanks (12) and last night made an Osso Buco style dish served over beans. I resisted doing a sear over live fire, or pre-smoking them like you did (for now).... just wanted to get a feel for the flavor of the pork for a baseline. Seasoning was sea salt and pepper only. The braise time was 4 hours in the traditional veggie/wine reduction. I'm now starting a list of other methods/dishes to try. I'm even considering a pressure finish.

deKJLYN.jpg

Never heard of it but I certianly would devour what's in that bowl.

Osso Buco is normally made with veal shanks, and sometimes lamb shanks, but pork shanks work as well.... and much more reasonable. I got these for $2.20/lb.

Thanks for a new idea!!

We just got a case of fresh pork shanks (12) and last night made an Osso Buco style dish served over beans. I resisted doing a sear over live fire, or pre-smoking them like you did (for now).... just wanted to get a feel for the flavor of the pork for a baseline. Seasoning was sea salt and pepper only. The braise time was 4 hours in the traditional veggie/wine reduction. I'm now starting a list of other methods/dishes to try. I'm even considering a pressure finish.

deKJLYN.jpg

That looks fantastic.
I love osso buco

Awesome! I love it too. I had to bail towards the end of the cook due to an emergency but it came out great with a crunch skin.

20131031_173724_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

20131101_021123_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Looks great, never thought of using pork shank

That looks really good :thumb:

My mother used to make a German dish with white beans, potatoes, and smoked pork hocks - it too was pure winter comfort food.

I'm having people over soon for brats and kraut.
I think I'm going to do one of these and break the meat up into the kraut.

I'm having people over soon for brats and kraut.
I think I'm going to do one of these and break the meat up into the kraut.

I smoke a couple shanks, and rack of loin ribs, then add kraut, maybe a link of sausage and into the oven until tender. The smokey back-flavor is really good. You can even smoke the meats the day before.

5QTMeUB.jpg

4zgxl.jpg

I smoke a couple shanks, and rack of loin ribs, then add kraut, maybe a link of sausage and into the oven until tender. The smokey back-flavor is really good. You can even smoke the meats the day before.

5QTMeUB.jpg

4zgxl.jpg

Sounds fantastic

Back