Found some belly

Yeah, they were pretty chewy. :becky:

Skinned it this time. It was not pretty so I didn't show that. Lol

Want to try to fry real hot and fast in a shallow pan of oil next time. Just enough oil to cover the skin...then smoke them. Heck I don't know. The skin is tough as a boot if you just smoke it. Good but it'll give your jaws a work out that makes jerky feel like a filet.:shocked:

The first bacon we made was a bear to skin. The next time we left the skin on and it came off easily after smoking to 150 IT.
I may try some belly partially smoked, take the skin off, and continue with the cook for some pork candy!
Thanks for your info. Gives me some ideas for future belly cooks.

Have you ever done them skin on?
I always struggle with the skin removal.

Taking the skin off is a real pain. My local Costco sells really nice belly without the skin. That is the only belly I buy now.

those look amazing.
that is something I have to do.
great job.

why not cube them to smoke instead of leaving in strips? wouldn't the larger exposed surface area give more bark/burnt on the product?

Never done these before, but may this weekend.

why not cube them to smoke instead of leaving in strips? wouldn't the larger exposed surface area give more bark/burnt on the product?

I have done it this way. Love these things! Always a crowd-pleaser.

I thought about that, but I thought they might dry out a little more. This is the first time I've cut it into strips instead of smoking the whole slab.

Have you ever done them skin on?
I always struggle with the skin removal.

You can use a sharp knife and rubber gloves (for gripping) and remove it. It takes patience, but it can be done.

Or.....you can cure the skin by poking a pantsload of holes in it, and brushing it with a mix of salt and vinegar.

Here is the video showing you how.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg47zpnvrM0"]How to make Crispy Roasted Pork Belly -- can also be used for Liempo Siu Yuk Lechon and cracklin - YouTube[/ame]

That skin, when placed on a grill will crisp up.

Back