MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Default Rib cook

Hey Brethren! I am in need of some help. I have signed up for a rib cook-off (mainly because I am jonesing for a competition) that is taking place a local brewery. We are cooking baby backs. We are given 5 slabs. We turn in 5 bones and distribute the rest to the public. Part of the comp is that we have to use one the brewery's beers somewhere in our cooking process. Marinade, baste, spritz, etc... Now, here comes my problem. I have only cooked in KCBS contests and cook St. Louis spares. I have yet to cook baby backs. I am looking for some pointers and tips for cooking baby backs hot and fast.

darkhorsebrewery.com - Brewery

I was thinking of using their raspberry ale to cut my sauce with. Does that sound good? Help?

About the way I cook. I use an offset stickburner and normally cruise at 300* - 325*.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The basics of cooking a rack remain the same, but, the time frame is compressed, everything happens faster by about 2/3rds. I like the idea of the ale cutting your sauce. I prefer less hoppy, more malty beers for cooking. I leave the Pale and IPA brews for drinking.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Use the beer in your foil. IMHO too much sweet sucks with beer any way.

My process would be rub, foil when you get your color (with beer and rub), cook till very tender. You can hold them for a while in that type of comp. Just get them back on the smoker for a couple of minutes before cutting and presenting.

If you are in doubt... cut a rib off and take a bite. You have plenty of spares (sad clown music).
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Use the beer in your foil. IMHO too much sweet sucks with beer any way.

My process would be rub, foil when you get your color (with beer and rub), cook till very tender. You can hold them for a while in that type of comp. Just get them back on the smoker for a couple of minutes before cutting and presenting.

If you are in doubt... cut a rib off and take a bite. You have plenty of spares (sad clown music).
I like this idea. Here's the problem though. He told me that I have to have each rack trimmed to 50 total bones because he is selling tickets to people. 1 ticket = 1 rib. After the 5 for judging that leaves us with 45 bones. Some racks will be a little bigger, I really don't have plenty :(

Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Easy. Take a couple of extra racks for your cooks. If he says any thing say "Really, I can't cook extra while the fire is going, what if I give you a couple bones for your workers?"

Bet a plug nickel that they do not care less about you bringing extra meat.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Can I cook them higher than 250* and still have them come out good? Should I baste them to keep them moist or wait till the foil?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Are you doing the pro or amateur division?

We are signed up in the pro for Saturday.

edit: reading the thread see you are pro. Should be a good event but chilly.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post
I like this idea. Here's the problem though. He told me that I have to have each rack trimmed to 50 total bones because he is selling tickets to people. 1 ticket = 1 rib. After the 5 for judging that leaves us with 45 bones. Some racks will be a little bigger, I really don't have plenty :(
Our plan is buy a handful of tickets and "buy" a couple of our bones. I also figure I want to try other ribs up there to see what other people are doing so I was already going to buy tickets.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Many people cook BBs at 275-300 without any issues. If you peek at them you could give them a little beer and vinegar spritz.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

If they have a Wheat, I would take 2 cups of Wheat and 1/4 cup of Sunny D original. Put it in a spray bottle and spritz with it. Everything else = business as usual.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke&HoneyBBQ View Post
Our plan is buy a handful of tickets and "buy" a couple of our bones. I also figure I want to try other ribs up there to see what other people are doing so I was already going to buy tickets.
Well, since each rack as about 12 bones, we should have enough to taste. I hate that i am not a beer drinker, so I am bringing a beer drinker with me. Hopefully a good luck charm.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
If they have a Wheat, I would take 2 cups of Wheat and 1/4 cup of Sunny D original. Put it in a spray bottle and spritz with it. Everything else = business as usual.
No wheat beer. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Hey Brethren! I am in need of some help. I have signed up for a rib cook-off (mainly because I am jonesing for a competition) that is taking place a local brewery. We are cooking baby backs. We are given 5 slabs. We turn in 5 bones and distribute the rest to the public. Part of the comp is that we have to use one the brewery's beers somewhere in our cooking process. Marinade, baste, spritz, etc... Now, here comes my problem. I have only cooked in KCBS contests and cook St. Louis spares. I have yet to cook baby backs. I am looking for some pointers and tips for cooking baby backs hot and fast.

darkhorsebrewery.com - Brewery

I was thinking of using their raspberry ale to cut my sauce with. Does that sound good? Help?

About the way I cook. I use an offset stickburner and normally cruise at 300* - 325*.
U will be fine at that temp, just cut your times down some.
U are gunna do a practice cook
Skippy where is the riboff at?
They lookin for more cookers?
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Smoke View Post
U will be fine at that temp, just cut your times down some.
U are gunna do a practice cook
Skippy where is the riboff at?
They lookin for more cookers?
It's in Marshall, MI. They supply the ribs and I was told that I took the last 5 he had. I can't practice cook because it's tomorrow. Weather is supposed to suck as well. Look up Darkhorse brewery if you want to ask. Ask for Travis. They capped it at 25, but I was a last minute 17th entrant.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
It's in Marshall, MI. They supply the ribs and I was told that I took the last 5 he had. I can't practice cook because it's tomorrow. Weather is supposed to suck as well. Look up Darkhorse brewery if you want to ask. Ask for Travis. They capped it at 25, but I was a last minute 17th entrant.
Yeah weather I think is going to be brutal.

I have everything tarped on the trailer and the 10x10 with sides packed.