Checkin’ in from the Netherlands

wimv

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m Wim, 54 yo and originating from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I studied computer science a long long time ago (1993), and work as a cyber security professional nowadays.

A lot has changed overtime but not one of my favourite hobbies: BBQ-ing! As an enthusiast I’m always looking for recipes, ideas etc. So, last year I accidentally stumbled into smoking the US way, which turns out to be an expanding interest here in NL.

I tried smoking on my Patton gas-grill, using tin cans with chunks of wood, but it was not giving the results I was looking for....

So I checked out Mr. Raichlen, browsed the forums, started to follow folks on Instagram, spent endless hours Youtubing and learned many many things about smoking and grilling. And about international differences in approaches to food by the (local) industry, to preparation, to “hardware”, in food availability and last but not least pricing.

Being a rookie myself I decided not to buy a dearly wanted offset (because prices for a good offset smoker are quite high here) and bought a Fornetto 22” which I’ll be picking up in a couple of weeks.

So after the holidays, my first ribs should roll of the Fornetto, very excited and can’t wait!

And of course very proud to be one of the BBQ Brethren! [emoji2]

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome aboard Wim, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here. The Fornetto looks to be somewhat similar to our Weber Smoky Mountain.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona. Congratulation on the new Fornetto 22m, I checked them out online looks like a nice smoker, similar to a WSM with additional features.

Welocme to the asylum, Wim!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I added myself to the map, somewhere in the center of NL you should see “Wim”.

I’ll post my first experiences with the Fornetto. There’ll undoubedtly be a place to post “unboxing” pics I guess?

Welcome to the forum!

Amsterdam is by far one of my favorite cities! Beautiful place, great people., all that. We have a Brethren here from Utrecht named Phubar who's on team called Lowland Smokers. Super cool dude & world class cook. There's a Dutch BBQ forum who has gatherings once in a while (I've been lucky enough to go to one in Delft) and those folks are all really great as well.

You'll see that there's a lot of great info and people here - enjoy!

It ain't much if it ain't Dutch!

Welcome to the forum!

Amsterdam is by far one of my favorite cities! Beautiful place, great people., all that. We have a Brethren here from Utrecht named Phubar who's on team called Lowland Smokers. Super cool dude & world class cook. There's a Dutch BBQ forum who has gatherings once in a while (I've been lucky enough to go to one in Delft) and those folks are all really great as well.

You'll see that there's a lot of great info and people here - enjoy!

It ain't much if it ain't Dutch!

I was born, raised, studied and grew up in that city, it’s home... [emoji2]

I think I’m on his forum already, that is, if it’s the BQQForum.eu? And I’m planning to visit the next gathering in October. But I’ll check him out! [emoji1360]

Thanks!

Welcome!
I lived and worked in The Netherlands ( Bilthoven),for many years.
Got married to my beautiful wife at Kasteel de Haar and ended up having my first two kids there.

Enjoy your the Brethren. It’s a great place to hang out.

Welcome! You gotta post some of those Amsterdam Gourmet Marijuana recipe's I hear so much about!

Hi Wim! You don't by any chance frequent any piano-oriented boards, do you?

Back