• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken: Is this Legal?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Before I got into bbq I once made these chinese wings from a Yan Can Cook book that resembled drumsticks.......the lollypop look. You basically, scrape the meat to one end of the bone and form a ball of meat.

Is this considered sculpting and therefore, illegal?

Has anyone done this and how receptive are the judges to this nontraditional form of bbq?

Thanks,

I can't answer your question as I don't compete and I'm not a KCBS judge, but I've seen pictures of something like that in turn-in boxes.

not sure about the legality, but as someone who used to turn in legs almost exclusively, it's hit or miss.. and if you do the lollipop look, be sure to have a way to keep those bones from burning and looking ugly.. I used to wrap the ends in foil about halfway thru the cook.

Yes Yes legal

I know someone who used to do the drumettes as I think thats
what there call.. He said they didn't do well I think we added them
to a box once.. didn't hit..

Yes there legal and at least one team does very well with drumsticks prepped this way.

I know that some teams use thighs and make chicken lollipops. They can score high.

I know that some teams use thighs and make chicken lollipops. They can score high.

I need to try this DP. I might make my $5 back ? :p :lol:

On the serious side,,,I can definately see where this would improve the presentation but getting the tenderness correct would be a fine line would it not ?

If you get it right, it gets a call.
Skinny, Im feeling pretty good about our loli, uh i mean chicken for this weekend.

Yes you can and yes if it works it will be good. There is a team that does this and is one of the best chicken teams in the country

Not to change the subject, but I was having an interesting conversation about chicken with a team and a rep last month. We were talking about the use of a butter pan to cook the chicken.

The idea is that you put the chicken in a pan of butter and cook it like that for some time.

Well the other team - who does that method - called it par-boiling. I said that is illegal - I do nto cook my chicken that way-. The rep said par boiling chicken is not illegal, only ribs. I - being the devils advocate - wanted an explanation on how that it is illegal for one meat but not another. After awhile we all gave up and drank laughed it off.

Can someone explain to me the difference. I know there are a ton of people who do it including people who used to be on the BOD. The rule does not specify that it is ribs. The definition of parboiling is the partial boiling of food in order to later finish cooking it.

The definition of parboiling is the partial boiling ...

I don't know that the butter thing gets to 'boiling'. :confused:
But it surely is legal.
And fact is, it can win.
Many a conversation has been had ... :roll:

Back