Beef back ribs were on sale today so I couldn't resist.

If you do not mind, what did you pay? I have looked at them over the years and passed them by, seemed like a lot to to pay for bone. Many on this board rave about them but the price-to-bone ratio has turned me off.

I've never seen plate for sale, just the heavily trimmed rib-eye rack. The pork is so much cheaper, at least in my area.

Last edited:
If you do not mind, what did you pay? I have looked at them over the years and passed them by, seemed like a lot to to pay for bone. Many on this board rave about them but the price-to-bone ratio has turned me off.

I've never seen plate for sale, just the heavily trimmed rib-eye rack. The port is so much cheaper, at least in my area.

Yeah these are the trimmed rib eye ribs not plate ribs. I guess I should have said "for sale" not on sale. These were about $5/lbs. I've never seen this style in my local grocery before

Did some tri-tip and ribs on the PBC the other night. Sometimes it is nice to just cook what you want how you like it without worrrying about anyone else's tastes or preferences. And I sometimes forget just how good a simple recipe can turn out on the PBC! Lately (after several years of only cooking "comp style" sweet ribs) I have been playing with just Salt and Pepper, these were my best yet flavor wise. The Tri-Tip got a healthy coat of Kosmos Cow Cover Hot because I wanted some kick!

Salt and Pepper Ribs:
rGNxSHsl.jpg

OTaIBrOl.jpg

W9Cejpil.jpg

Tri-Tip
Enf1V2Ql.jpg

I want to hang some picanha tomorrow. I have some thick skewers that have one hooked end which would need to be used hang it. Should I be worried about the meat sliding off the other end? How could I prevent this?

I want to hang some picanha tomorrow. I have some thick skewers that have one hooked end which would need to be used hang it. Should I be worried about the meat sliding off the other end? How could I prevent this?

Yes worry.

1. Use a small potato at the bottom of the skewer
2. Use a binder clip at the bottom.
3. Drill a small hole in the point of the skewer big enough to slide your PBC hook thru. Slide the meat on, then hang it upside down, from the point.

Yes worry.

1. Use a small potato at the bottom of the skewer
2. Use a binder clip at the bottom.
3. Drill a small hole in the point of the skewer big enough to slide your PBC hook thru. Slide the meat on, then hang it upside down, from the point.

With my available resources it looks like option 2 might be my best bet. The potato might take too much room on these relatively short skewers.

Working on my timing. I put a pork butt on at 12:30, ribs on around 2, and I just hung some chicken at 3 (CST). I figured the butt would be closer by now, but we’re still around 100 degrees.

Sometime between now and 160, I gotta figure out home I’m gonna get my split gray in there without it getting too hot.

668e836a59fb4c20ea5271fac5b9dff3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuffed Tenderloin and Ribs

Decided to do a stuffed pork tenderloin today. Stuffed with pineapple cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Glazed with teriyaki and sesame seeds! Ribs were a new rub combo for me. Kosmos honey pecan and Heath Riles Apple did not dissapoint.

4ijGzfel.jpg

aDWvjjYl.jpg

LnMA5gzl.jpg

Dropped to page 6. Yikes.....

Did some pastrami this weekend. I cheated and just bought a 4lb Corned Beef from Wegmans. Desalinated it overnight. Rubbed it down with a mix of pepper, garlic, onion, coriander, etc. Smoked on the PBC until it hit 150 (about 3.5-4 hours) with hickory and cherry. Removed and steamed in the oven with beef broth until 202. Rested for a few hours until dinner. Sliced and steamed for about 30-45 minutes. Pastrami, Rye, cole slaw, thousand island dressing, swiss cheese, pickle. And a whole lot of High Life/Guinness. Heaven.

sMSqHuI.jpg

Nb92NzC.jpg

PCc9cN5.jpg

DtpXlMl.jpg

vzECJjC.jpg

L9I68Hl.jpg

fdRxtCX.jpg

92IBIi1.jpg

Looks great Pete! No cheatin there! Love St Paddy's Day week I stock up on the corned beef with the ridiculous sales and have pastrami options when the mood strikes.

Looks great Pete! No cheatin there! Love St Paddy's Day week I stock up on the corned beef with the ridiculous sales and have pastrami options when the mood strikes.

Thank you! I'm going to do the same and wait until corned beef drops to super cheap and pick up a couple more.

Fine work, Pete! I did my first PBC pastrami last summer with a corned beef brisket I froze after the St. Patrick's Day sales. I think you inspired my to try it with a fresh brisket this year. Yours looks great!

I made Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork) on the PBC again. This time I used a jarred sauce for the marinade rather than make my own. It was a good choice. I used pork shoulder pieces sold as "boneless country ribs" but avoided the country ribs made from loin (not fatty enough to remain moist during the smoke). I pierced the meat well with a fork and placed in a zip-locked bag along with Lee Kum Kee char siu sauce and refrigerated for 3 days.

Placed on skewers and ready to hang on the PBC!

Added some stainless clamps to the skewer bottoms (proved to be a good move on one of the skewers).

Pulled the pork from the PBC after 1:45:00 and checked temp ... 145F or so ... time to begin basting! I used some more of the marinade mixed 2 to 1 with honey. Basted twice at 10 minutes apart. The slight char on the pieces is the best part!

The marinade made a nice red ring on the pieces and had a nice restaurant taste. Sorry, I gobbled up the sliced pieces.

It turned out great! I sliced some and added to Lo Mein for a tasty meal. The rest will be refrigerated and/or vac-sealed and frozen for later meals. I recommend the PBC to char siu lovers.

Back