• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First time catering big event, need qty help (longer...)

tkopfer

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've lurked in these forums for a while but haven't posted before, and I'm hoping for some help here.

I'm catering for a birthday party for some friends 2 sons. I have lots of cooking experience and can hold my own with when it comes to Q, but I'm having trouble with figuring out quantities and general number of meats and sides. I tend to go way overboard with quantities as it is (think Italian grandma style), so at the risk of furthering that reputation I thought I'd reach out for help. We're expecting around 100 people, maybe a few more, but of the 100 probably 25-30 will be kids no older than 8.

I was thinking of 3 meats, and 2 sides, but I'm wondering if that's too much. Was going to go with brisket, pulled pork and sausages. Sides of slaw and baked beans.

So I guess here are my main questions:

1. For those of you with way more bbq catering experience than me, does that sound like way too much food? Would you cut it to 2 proteins, or would you make the 3rd protein poultry for a non-red meat option?

2. I've looked at the catering calculators/planners, but when I look at them with 3 meats, it seems to assume that everyone will have some of each meat--does that hold true in practice?

Anyway, sorry for the length but all advice is appreciated!

I'd look at this as 75 mixed adults and 25/30 kids. Adults will want to try all different meats offered usually. Figure 6-8 ounces cooked per person divided between brisket and pork. 4 ounces each for sides. For the kids I'd offer hotdogs. At least one each with extra for any adult wanting a snack. Kids will likely eat beans but little slaw. I'd offer a pasta salad and cut back on slaw. Kids will be eying the birthday cake and ice cream more than the real food offering.

Back