MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Mooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-06
Location: Southeast Missouri
Name/Nickname : Mooner
Default Toy Haulers for Comps?

For those of you that utilize Toy Haulers for camping / competitions how do you make sure you get electricity? Many competition sites don't offer a 50 amp or even 30 amp plugin for your trailer so how do you run lights and A/C etc?
I'm looking at possibly purchasing one and I wanna get some info from somebody who has experience with this so I can make a good decision.

Thanks!
__________________

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote




Old 06-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
pharp
Banned

 
Join Date: 04-11-16
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Default

You need a good generator.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Mooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-06
Location: Southeast Missouri
Name/Nickname : Mooner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
You need a good generator.
Thought about this as well, anyone know, Does Generac offer one with a 30a plugin? This is a solid option if so
__________________

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

 
Pig_Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-17
Location: Abq, NM
Name/Nickname : Carl
Default

Most toy haulers either come with a generator or have an option for a built in generator. (Depending on the size). As far as generators go, look into the Cummins P4500I. I got one and it is the bomb. Quiet, great on gas, remote start, and way cheaper than a Honda.
__________________
Carl
Pig Farmer's BBQ
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default

I agree with the recommendation on a generator, but make sure that it is an inverter type, and quiet. Most competitions have rules on noice, especially during the quiet hours (typically 11pm-7am), and a construction generator will get shut down.

Honda is the gold standard, but others, like the Cummins that PigFarmer mentioned, the Champion dual fuel (which we use), and even the predator generators from Harbor Freight are good options.

Size depends on what you are running. a 3000W generator is fine for a 30A trailer, but will likely run the AC and a few other small watt things, but probably not the AC and microwave at the same time. If you have a 50A trailer with two AC units, you will need a 7000W generator.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."


Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

 
Pig_Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-17
Location: Abq, NM
Name/Nickname : Carl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I agree with the recommendation on a generator, but make sure that it is an inverter type, and quiet. Most competitions have rules on noice, especially during the quiet hours (typically 11pm-7am), and a construction generator will get shut down.

Honda is the gold standard, but others, like the Cummins that PigFarmer mentioned, the Champion dual fuel (which we use), and even the predator generators from Harbor Freight are good options.

Size depends on what you are running. a 3000W generator is fine for a 30A trailer, but will likely run the AC and a few other small watt things, but probably not the AC and microwave at the same time. If you have a 50A trailer with two AC units, you will need a 7000W generator.
I have a friend with 2 a/c units on his rv and the Cummins runs them both. Wont run microwave and 2 a/c's but will microwave and 1 a/c. The Cummins can also be used in parallel giving you 8KW. Argh, argh,argh, more power. Like Ron said...inverter type.
__________________
Carl
Pig Farmer's BBQ
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
pharp
Banned

 
Join Date: 04-11-16
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Most toy haulers either come with a generator or have an option for a built in generator. (Depending on the size). As far as generators go, look into the Cummins P4500I. I got one and it is the bomb. Quiet, great on gas, remote start, and way cheaper than a Honda.
I like the looks of that. I wanted to get a bigger one for my new trailer. I have had great luck with my Predator 3500 with no issues, but I was running close to a full load with my 15k A/C. I was going to get the Honda 7000, but this actually is more the size I need. I don't need it to run much other than the A/C. Does it have a gas gauge? That is the only thing I have not liked about the Predator.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
I have a friend with 2 a/c units on his rv and the Cummins runs them both. Wont run microwave and 2 a/c's but will microwave and 1 a/c. The Cummins can also be used in parallel giving you 8KW. Argh, argh,argh, more power. Like Ron said...inverter type.
Interesting... I wouldn't think that 4500W would be enough to start two AC units. I guess if they are not starting simultaneously it would be fine. It is the compressor startup that is the limiting factor.

It is also possible to install a soft start unit (MicroAir) on the AC unit that will reduce the startup surge.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."


Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

 
Pig_Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-17
Location: Abq, NM
Name/Nickname : Carl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I like the looks of that. I wanted to get a bigger one for my new trailer. I have had great luck with my Predator 3500 with no issues, but I was running close to a full load with my 15k A/C. I was going to get the Honda 7000, but this actually is more the size I need. I don't need it to run much other than the A/C. Does it have a gas gauge? That is the only thing I have not liked about the Predator.
Yes, it does have a gas gauge. 5 gallon tank, I was able to get around 17hrs of use when we went camping during Memorial weekend. I didn't run the A/C much cause we were in the mountains.
__________________
Carl
Pig Farmer's BBQ
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
pharp
Banned

 
Join Date: 04-11-16
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Yes, it does have a gas gauge. 5 gallon tank, I was able to get around 17hrs of use when we went camping during Memorial weekend. I didn't run the A/C much cause we were in the mountains.
Thanks! I think I will go with this one. I am supposed to pick up the trailer in 3 weeks.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #11
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 02-22-10
Location: CO
Default

I use a toyhauler for comps and camping (love it!). It came with an Onan onboard generator but, it is fairly loud. Most comps around here offer an option to buy extra power over the standard 20A. Depending on the location/time of year, I buy the 30A to run AC. Otherwise, I use an adapter to get down to 20A. It will run everything except the AC.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew13 View Post
I use a toyhauler for comps and camping (love it!). It came with an Onan onboard generator but, it is fairly loud. Most comps around here offer an option to buy extra power over the standard 20A. Depending on the location/time of year, I buy the 30A to run AC. Otherwise, I use an adapter to get down to 20A. It will run everything except the AC.
That’s what we do as well, and if the upcharge is too high I just run the generator
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."


Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 03-08-12
Location: Redding, CA
Default

When I used my Toy Hauler, I got the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 generator. It runs the trailer pretty good. Just remember things like if the AC is running, you probably can't run the microwave. I also have an onboard 4K Onan but like a few said, it is a little louder. I only use it if I have to. Most comps, I could get 20A power and it would run the AC but not much else. You just have to adapt to what power is available and what you can do with it. If you need to run AC, microwave and coffee pot at the same time, your gonna need a bigger generator or two and link them together. I did find a parallel kit for the Predator (different brand kit), so I can borrow a buddys if I need 50A power.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

 
masque13's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-19-14
Location: Somerset, KY
Default

reading this thread is kind of like in the movie Apollo 13 based on the real life events of trying to figure out how to start the capsule back up when it got close to earth without overloading the electrical system.....lol.

we could do a BBQ version of Apollo 13 where we try to figure out the start up sequence for running 2 ac's, a microwave, satellite tv and charging an iPad........it would be a huge hit, at least in our group.
__________________
Sugarbaby BBQ
Somerset, KY
Myron Mixon MMS-48
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 06-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Mooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-06
Location: Southeast Missouri
Name/Nickname : Mooner
Default

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it's greatly appreciated. I did go ahead and pull the trigger on a generator for my travel trailer. Should be a good fit to run a 30 amp cord. It's a cummins 4500I

__________________

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts