• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Creating New Wedding Appetizers

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Playing around with a new idea for an addition to our wedding appetizer menu and thought I'd share. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this and not claiming to invent it but I have never seen it personally. For years I've thought about adding ABT's to the appetizer menu but catering for 150 guests on average would mean making 200-350 of them which has kept me from doing them. I got to thinking, what would an ABT pinwheel taste like and would it be easier than making ABT's? So I played around with these today and while I'll still make a few adjustments, the overall process was not too bad. I assembled them like a pizza and then rolled them. Next time I'll incorporate everything into the cream cheese mixture and then spread it on the tortilla. It will make them hold together better once rolled and sliced. We tried these cold and they were good enough to serve them cold. My wife had a great idea and said to throw the rest of them into the oven to heat them up and they were excellent this way. So we'll make these and roll them up in plastic wrap, refrigerate until on-site at a wedding and either slice and heat up on the cooker if it's on-site or even in the proofer/hot cabinet if not. The process is below with pic's, with enough supplies to what would normally make 12 ABT's I was able to make 36 pinwheels.*Half a jalapeno, remove seeds, drizzle with oil, salt and cook until tender on the smoker at 250degrees. At the same time, I took the appropriate amount of strips of bacon and made pig candy and cooked it on the smoker until the bacon was still a little chewing but crumbled once cool.***

49473820476_82f830bdce_b.jpg

Diced the peppers and chop/crumbled the bacon and shredded some sharp cheddar cheese.***

49473823866_23ebc2fc24_b.jpg

*Then I spread the cream cheese on a tortilla and topped with the other ingredients like I was building a pizza. Note, in the future, I'll whip the cream cheese a bit and then fold the other ingredients in at this point instead of the way I did it.*

49473338303_b02e5bb95d_b.jpg

49473339138_2dd9bf0b71_b.jpg

Then I rolled the tortilla up as tight as I could and wrapped it in plastic wrap for about an hour (I'll do this the day before a wedding). When ready I removed the plastic wrap and sliced them about 5/8" thick and topped them with rub. As stated earlier they were much better heated so 10 minutes on a smoker or maybe 20 minutes in a hotbox wrapped and I think these will be a hit with guests. I used 3 large tortillas 12" or so, 7 strips of thick-cut bacon, 10 jalapeno peppers, 1block of cream cheese and 1 cup and shredded sharp cheddar to make 3 rolls and this was enough for 36 pinwheels.

ABT Pinwheels

49417151163_ce1dbfbc87_c.jpg
49417628921_9fd98338b9_c.jpg
49417151073_363a6fbdd3_c.jpg

Those look and sound great! At first blush I was thinking they'd be really labor intensive, which is obviously a factor in your business - but looking carefully at your post it looks like you may have a good bang for buck thing going on as well as a unique and delicious app. Nicely done!

Back