hanging ribs

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm cooking ribs today and I'm hanging them for the first time. When I hung them on my rack the very bottom touched my diffuser which I wanted to leave on in case they dropped. The diffuser sits about 3in above my charcoal basket. so I moved my meathook down a couple ribs but I noticed when I hung them they wanted to flop over at the top. I wasn't sure how this would affect them cooking so I cut the rack in half and hung two half slabs under the second rib on each one. Would it have affected anything if I left them hooked further down and let them droop over at the top? I'm a newbie here when it comes to hanging ribs so I'm trying to learn

Hooking them further down would have been fine

I wondered that. I've watched a lot of videos and seen a lot of pictures and most of stuff I have seen shows the ribs pretty much hanging vertical. When I tried hooking further down they almost wanted to fold in half at the top LOL. I'm exaggerating a little bit I wasn't hooked that far down but you get the picture

I do that with long racks on my PBC and they work just fine. I will hook three bones or maybe four if the rack are really long.

I do that with long racks on my PBC and they work just fine. I will hook three bones or maybe four if the rack are really long.

Aren't the meat hooks for the pit Barrel cooker only like 4" long? does that limit how far down you can go before you can't get the hook on the rod anymore?

I would've cut the thin ribs off and hung them too to have one pretty rack.

Aren't the meat hooks for the pit Barrel cooker only like 4" long? does that limit how far down you can go before you can't get the hook on the rod anymore?

I don’t know how long they are but I can still hook them on the rod but the top of the ribs bend over some but doesn’t effect the cook at all.

For what it's worth I've hung ribs for 10 years and the only time I've had issues was if they had been cut, or had serious bone shine from processing. However, you can always double hook them like this:

sreMNCT.jpg

For what it's worth I've hung ribs for 10 years and the only time I've had issues was if they had been cut, or had serious bone shine from processing. However, you can always double hook them like this:

sreMNCT.jpg

Can you elaborate on what you mean by bone shine or cut? When I first hung meat it was chuck roast about four or five weeks ago. I actually triple hooked one of them due to all the fat separations in the meat.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by bone shine or cut? When I first hung meat it was chuck roast about four or five weeks ago. I actually triple hooked one of them due to all the fat separations in the meat.

Chuckies can do that. I have an old school trussing needle, (the item in the first picture on the table with the black knob for a handle), so I can tie up things like a sections of a chuck with cooking twine.

Sometimes you get a rack of ribs with a stray cut made by the meat cutter, usually it's on one face, but if it nicks the meat between the bone, a separation occurs during cooking and can lead to a premature separation.

Bone shine is when the the rib meat shrinks and exposes the bone. Sometimes this is natural and happens as you cook the ribs tender, and sometimes a meat cutter is trimming too close to the bone and/or sometimes even exposes the bone which almost always leads to bone shine.

Bone shine:

jRiu92b.jpg

No bone shine.

TZ5vQsF.jpg

Back